Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #21
Mickyfin

Default Re: Dome light trouble shooting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
Hmm - that's frustrating.

Do you have access to another dome light which you know is working (or another Sprinter / Crafter you can try installing your dome light into)?

That would confirm if the fault is in the dome light itself or in the connection to it.

I would offer to post you mine - but I suspect the postage costs to send it to Finland and back to the UK would make it impractical.
Its a brand-new OEM light mate, purchased it in the hope it would work correct, but it does exactly the same as it did with the original one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkilimo View Post
Spray a healthy dose of wd40 into the driver side lock and then use compressed air to blow it all out. That makes the door sensor work sometimes
I will go and try this right now on both front doors, I have both on hand, compressed air, and WD, so will report back.
Mickyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #22
Mickyfin

Well I tried the WD, and compressed air, but no dice.

Incidentally, and I'm not sure if this is the same with all Sprinters and VW Crafters? but when the van is locked, and I use the actual physical key to open the drivers door, (only front door with a keyhole), the only door that unlocks is the drivers door, the passenger door remains unlocked, same when locking the drivers door with the actual key, it only locks the drivers door, and not the passenger door.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #23
sparkplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyfin View Post
Well I tried the WD, and compressed air, but no dice.

Incidentally, and I'm not sure if this is the same with all Sprinters and VW Crafters? but when the van is locked, and I use the actual physical key to open the drivers door, (only front door with a keyhole), the only door that unlocks is the drivers door, the passenger door remains unlocked, same when locking the drivers door with the actual key, it only locks the drivers door, and not the passenger door.
Yes - that's the same as mine. Manual key only operates the driver's door for lock and unlock.

No other doors affected.
Mickyfin (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #24
Mickyfin

OK, so now I guess I need to see if its possible to reset the SAM/CBM via the OBDII, anyone know if it's possible? I want to avoid taking the van to the dealer for something so small, but it is doing my head in, and would like to sort it out myself.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #25
Mickyfin

Just been back out to the van to check over everything, and going back to an earlier question based on me reading elsewhere that the cigarette lighter illumination, and that if this bulb has blown, it could be the cause for the dome light not coming on when the two front doors are opened, or switching the dome light on when remotely opening the doors, and when removing the key from the ignition.

Now having checked the cigarette light illumination in my van, it's not working, so we could be onto something, however, how on earth does one go about replacing this bulb in the cigarette lighter?

I've tried pulling on it, but its clipped in.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #26
Mickyfin

Ok, a search found this..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrismGuy View Post
Finally got it.

There are no screws, only hidden tabs that need to pressed from their normal position to allow removal of both parts of the ashtray assembly i.e. the ashtray carrier and the ashtray itself. Remove the entire assembly first, then remove the ashtray from the ashtray carrier. I used a stout trim tab tool to do both, but an appropriately sized screwdriver should work if one is careful and has lots of patience. Be careful not to loose two tiny springy things that will come out when you remove the ashtray from it's carrier.

These photos should help others.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...pspdekxp8p.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...pseqgwooua.jpg

Attachment 66979

Attachment 66980

Please advise if some other "URL" format is needed to see the above photos on photo-bucket.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #27
Mickyfin

Successfully removed the ashtray and housing by using a pair of body trim removal tools. I was struggling with two small metal rulers, and turned out they were too thin to release the ashtray.

The lighter illumination bulb is clearly blown, so finding one of these shouldn't be too taxing, however, removing the bulb holder from the lighter socket itself, I broken a tiny clip off the bulb holder, so need to find a replacement, part number is Valeo 73947081

Probably cheaper to buy a replacement ashtray second hand.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #28
sparkplug

I was looking at them - they're around 135 FIM on eBay.

The reason I was looking was because I was considering removing mine completely and building a small centre console to act as a cup holder / storage and putting a second small storage tray place of the cup-holder / ashtray / cigarette lighter. I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen anything like this for sale as an aftermarket part. The only things I've seen are big boxes which sit between the driver / passenger seats and block the walkway through to the back.

I'd run the cabling for the lighter socket up through the dash and mount it somewhere more useable at the top of the dash so I don't have charging cables trailing up past all the controls (very bad design IMO)
Mickyfin (05-20-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #29
Mickyfin

Update, ash tray bulb renewed, and working, however, my dome light still isn't switched on when either of the front doors are opened :(
Old 06-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #30
Mickyfin

Further update to the above update, I had fit an red led in there, so thought I would try a new normal old school bulb to see if the dome light would come on when doors opened, but alas I'm afraid not :(

Surely this can't be a main dealer thing to reset only?