Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 06-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
SunshineinSLO

Question Lost Rear Cabinet Door

So our newly acquired 2015 SS Agile did not come with the door of the top rear cabinet above the sofa (see photo). I can't find ANY reference to any kind of replacement cabinet door for this van online anywhere. All I find is references to broken latches or other hardware.

1. Are replacement cabinet doors available anywhere, precut/premade for this space? A simple replacement door would be ideal.
2. If not, could we simply replace it with a kitchen cabinet door? (I'm worried about drilling more holes in the cabinet, but maybe that can't be helped anyway)
3. If we choose not to drill more holes for more hinges and replace with a new wooden cabinet door, does anyone have any other good ideas?
>I'm thinking some hooks on the inside of the cabinet with a bungee net stretched across the opening, to keep bedding or other soft materials in there. It's the largest cabinet in the rig, so I don't want to lose the space, but it's useless without some kind of door.
>Where can I get such an item as this bungee net? I assume they come in sizes? (i.e. I don't want a pickup truck tailgate replacement, for goodness sake.)

Has this happened to you? What did you do? Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

SunshineinSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
jdpartin

Default Re: Lost Rear Cabinet Door

That door has always been a problem with our 2013 RS Adventurous. If it gets hot or humid the door expands I think and the latch is almost impossible to open. I have thought of just removing the door and putting a bungee type web netting over it. My guess is your previous owner had this problem and tried to pry it open and broke it.
jdpartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:38 AM   #3
Aggie
2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal

Your rig is similar to our Roadtrek Ideal. I expect the original door was a single door, hinged at the top so that it swings up to the ceiling when open. Our door is intact as original and works well although I may have replaced the latch with a magnetic latch.
While my 2010 unit was still under factory warranty I had a small upper cupboard replaced at no cost and I purchased an additional small door to cover the same size opening left after I removed the built in coffee maker. I don’t recall the exact price but I do recall it was, to my thinking, very expensive - well over $100 Cdn
As you may know, Roadtrek, after receivership has just this week been formally sold to a French Company, Rapido. The manufacturing facility has been closed since February, new owner plans to re-start manufacturing
https://www.therecord.com/news-story...roadtrek-sale/
They may have replacement doors in their inventory but I expect it will be considerable time, if ever, that access to that is possible.
My advice is to consider making or having a local cabinet maker construct a replacement, similar looking adhesive film material.
I’ve taken chance drilling more and larger holes for latch attachment screws and been satisfied with result.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aggie For This Useful Post:
SunshineinSLO (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
irvingj
2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)

We also have a 2015 SS Agile.

That door is identical to all the others; note that the frames & sides of the cabinets are particle board covered with stick-on wood finish sheeting, but the doors are actually solid wood, with a pretty much standard raised-panel construction. I'd just make a copy to the right size -- I can see the holes where the european-style hardware was attached in your photo. You'd have to get more of that, maybe, or perhaps there are other hardware systems that would work as well (and maybe better!).

Agree with others- yes, it does stick and sometimes becomes hard to open. Ever since being in the refrigeration business 35 years ago I've carried a pocket screwdriver, and I use that if necessary to get those cabinet doors open --sometimes. (They can be adjusted a bit to help that situation.)

Here's what the door looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07635.jpg (49.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07636.jpg (54.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07637.jpg (44.9 KB, 17 views)
SunshineinSLO (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #5
SunshineinSLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpartin View Post
That door has always been a problem with our 2013 RS Adventurous. If it gets hot or humid the door expands I think and the latch is almost impossible to open. I have thought of just removing the door and putting a bungee type web netting over it. My guess is your previous owner had this problem and tried to pry it open and broke it.
Bummer about your latch. That seems to be a common problem with these. :( What are you doing with it now? Is it just an open shelf? What do you store there?
Old 06-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
SunshineinSLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
I donít recall the exact price but I do recall it was, to my thinking, very expensive - well over $100 Cdn
As you may know, Roadtrek, after receivership has just this week been formally sold to a French Company, Rapido. The manufacturing facility has been closed since February, new owner plans to re-start manufacturing
https://www.therecord.com/news-story...roadtrek-sale/
They may have replacement doors in their inventory but I expect it will be considerable time, if ever, that access to that is possible.
My advice is to consider making or having a local cabinet maker construct a replacement, similar looking adhesive film material.
Iíve taken chance drilling more and larger holes for latch attachment screws and been satisfied with result.
Yeah, I'm starting to think that with the price of a matching door (which I would expect to be expensive, especially considering the situation with Roadtrek), it might just be better to find a nice-looking kitchen cabinet door and install it there, if I can find one the right size, have the magnetic latch and maybe struts or other holdups, and solve a few problems at once.

As an old VW owner, I also thought (it always comes to mind!) of junkyarding one - is there such a thing as a Sprinter junkyard? I'm not terribly near any major cities, but I do get to L.A. or Oakland occasionally, and could look when I'm there. I have to assume there are RV graveyards - how does a person find one?
Old 06-24-2019, 12:22 AM   #7
irvingj
2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)

Not sure... but that door would be particular to Roadtrek only, I'd guess.

Still think it wouldn't be hard to create a copy; I've done that before with cabinetry. Get a few pieces of cherry wood, cut & plane to dimension, glue together to make a frame, use a router with a rounding bit on the edges.... Want me to make you one? Bet I could do it. Bet you could, too!

How's things in SLO? (Used to live in Monterey, with a fair bit of time in CALARNG at Camp Roberts in the 70s. Don't miss the droughts, mudslides & wildfires....)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
jdpartin

SunshineinSLO, I have not done it yet. We moved from Florida to the mountains of NC several months ago and left the Roadtrek in Florida until three weeks ago when I flew down and drove it up to the mountains and presto, the door opened. It seldom reaches above 75 here so the door and latch opened up.

All we have ever kept in that cabinet are towels, sheets, clothes etc. so that was the basis for my idea on the netting.
jdpartin is offline   Reply With Quote