Sprinter 2.1 aux ac stretch belt HELP!

oktravis

HI all. I am an automotive tech in toronto. I work on a fleet of sprinters and half the fleet have the 2.1l diesel motor. All have the aux AC system mounted to the roof. On the aux AC compressor there is a stretch belt. Does anybody have a line on a tool for installing the stretch belt. The belt has to go around 3 pulleys all together and there is only 4 small torx bolt in the crank pulley to turn it. I have the universal belt tools and they get the belt on the crank and AC compressor but it is quite the job to get the belt over the 3rd idler pulley. i have destroyed a couple belts trying to get them on. Every time i get one i think that there must be a better way.
Thanks

98Firebird

There is, MB makes a tool specifically for this application. Not sure on the cost as the dealer I work at bought the tool but I won't do one of those belts without one....they are a real nightmare. I'll post some pics of the tool set below. I would highly recommend getting the tool especially since you're working on a fleet of vans with this set-up.

Attachments

oktravis

Oh man you are a life saver or knuckle saver as it were. I knew there was a tools for it. Now i just need to source the tools here in toronto.
Thank again

MikeSm

Has anyone had an issue with the counterholder tool not reaching deep enough to fit onto the crank pulley bolts? The 2016 model that I worked on had this issue.

Attachments

muchsnow

So how did you initially get the crank rotated to get the belt on? Which p/n belt did you use? I've been struggling with this damn thing all day now.

lindenengineering

Technique.
Remove the tensioner idler pulley ,
Install the belt .
Attach the idler & bracket with one bolt and insert it until its just finger tight .
;Then pry the idler tensioner up with the pry bar tensioning the belt aligning the other bolt hole. insert the bolt & secure the pair.
Dennis

Last edited:

Cruzers

Hey what’s up guys I’m new here I have a 2016 2.1 passenger sprinter van I’m attempting to change out my alternator and I’ve noticed that the auxiliary compressor is right in the way and after reading your Conversations I am experiencing all of those issues. Would you recommend me trying to handle it or taking it to the Mercedes-Benz dealer?

Cruzers

Hey what’s up guys I’m new here I have a 2016 2.1 passenger sprinter van I’m attempting to change out my alternator and I’ve noticed that the auxiliary compressor is right in the way and after reading your Conversations I am experiencing all of those issues. Would you recommend me trying to handle it or taking it to the Mercedes-Benz dealer?
By the way my idol or pulley does not have a bracket it’s connected straight to the top of the oil pan I can’t seem to find any tensioner and I’m clueless how to remove that drive belt.

WinnieView1

A knife to remove, zip ties to install along with the proper size 1/2" deep-well socket and breaker bar to turn the crank.

Sirrock

Hello guys, I’m having the same issue, I removed the belt. Now what’s the best way to replace it. If anyone can help, thank you!

Top Bottom