power sofa/bed

al albanowski

Cry Baby Al
Has any one here considered removing their power sofa and replacing it with a plywood bed,with a 4" foam matress?
Al 2006 RS
Gettysburg Pa.

2006Roadtrek

Trying to spend my kids i
Why do you want to gert rid of your power sofa?
We are going to take out our 2 twin that converts to queen to put in a manual sofa adds (3 seat belts)that can slide forward to allow storage 3 feet. mini toy hauler!:cheers:

Davydd

We are going to take out our 2 twin that converts to queen to put in a manual sofa adds (3 seat belts)that can slide forward to allow storage 3 feet. mini toy hauler!:cheers:
The GWV Legend has a power Tri-sofa as you describe. I'm curious. Is this a sofa you will buy or a custom design? When I researched GWV was the only one offering such an option. Sportsmobile had nothing at least on their website I could find.

sailsailor

Traveler
I did the deed on our power sofa in our Krystal Van. I removed the back and bottom to the sofa, very easy to remove without removing the sofa frame. Then stripped them down to the metal frame which had the cushions attached. Made plywood pieces to fit, actually increased the size of the bed, width and length, a couple inches. Then I had 4 inch medium denisity foam cut and on top of that I put 3 inches of high density memory foam. Then had the back and bottom re upholstered to match the existing and using the old covering to cover the back of the backrest to hide the frame. Sleeps great and still has the functionality of a power seat.

Jebers12

Where are you going to get the Manual sofa?

2006Roadtrek

Trying to spend my kids i
New bed w sleep comfort- AHHHHHH!!!! & toy hauler

We are in the opposite position
We have 2 single beds that convert too a queen.
We are removing the back guts guts except the fender skirts.
Can you say mini toy hauler?
added two sliding rails for the bed, will add clevis pins for positioning forward and back, and a sailors t track for adjusting the the backrest that will convert to bench seat for two large people
Can only put 2 belts due to airbed has 2 chambers and they can go through the center together.

I made a jig and cut holes through the cosmetic paneling symetrical on both sides where there is no metal
There is some storage there. will add some fabric and seal with black flex trim used on fiberglass boats
Waiting for the welder to fabricate the bench ETA July 20
A friend is doing this for me who also made my front 2" hitch for the bike rack ( I have 2 bikes on front and two on back)

harrysalit

2019 Wonder FTB
Sailsailor,
Does your bed still fold up like the original?
Is the foam matress one piece & how does it stay in place when folded?
I just purchased a 170" Krystal & I sure dont like all of the lumps & bumps!!
Harry Salit

sailsailor

Traveler
Yes it still folds as before. There are actually four pieces of foam, two for the seat and two for the seatback. First layer is 4 inches of medium density foam and the upper is 3 inches of high density memory foam, 7 inches total thickness. When cut to shape, stacked and covered with material it stays in place. You'll see by the pictures that it does seem wrinkled when first lowered to the sleeping position but it flattens out as seen in the upright position. The memory foam is quite compressive and expands when allowed. This is why it works so well in this instance. I was able to change the back to closely fit the door shape giving additional width and the length as well. Electric motor still raises and lowers the bed. For bedding we sewed two flat sheets together and then velcro that to a blanket and using the side bolsters we roll that in the bolsters at the feet and the single flat sheet into the bolster at the head. It's a great sleep.

Attachments

mowog

We add a king size gel foam mattress topper that I bought at Costco. A queen could probably have worked- turned sideways and covering all but the lower legs, but the King fills the entire bed and actually seals the sides of the bed, making the sides warmer in colder camping. We can fold the topper in half and pack it in a duffel I bought from Cabelas (18x36). I made some cinch straps to compress it so it can fit under the sofa.

This topper makes all the difference in the world!

What would be nice for us is to separate the "slide" from the "raise" function of the sofa. I haven't looked at it closely, but essentially I would like the seat of the sofa to stay forward and the back to raise and lower without gliding back. This would work better with a mattress topper and also give some extra rear storage room (with seat back up).

The replacement with a platform bed sounds appealing in some ways. It could be higher, giving more storage under with no frame to block storage. The power sofa offers more flexibility and is visually more appealing (IMHO).

I think I am keeping the sofa as the topper solves the comfort issue. I may remove the trim board at the foot of the sofa (don't think it's structural) so I can slide chairs/screen tent/etc straight in instead of sideways. With the bed down the area behind the wheel wells is like a black hole.

Good Luck, Bob

harrysalit

2019 Wonder FTB
HI sailsailor,
I posted a message yesterday, I thought but now I cant find it. I am still learning how to navigate around this forum, can be confusing.
Thank you for the quick reply about your bed.
I picked up my Krystal 2500 in Texas and on the way home I had it weighted at a CAT scale.

I am not sure what this means: my actual front, 4100 lbs, rear 4840 lbs for a total of 8940 lbs. The label says GVWR is 8550 lbs or I am 390 lbs over with 2 people, full fuel, water, propane and maybe 50 lbs of other stuff.

The label for the axels says: front 3970 lbs, rear 5360 lbs for a total of 9330 lbs. This says I have another 390 lbs to load & it better be in the rear & take some off the front.
Have you weighted your coach? Are there any other Krystal owners out there?
I understand that they built around 50 Sprinter RV, so we are kind of scarce.
Harry

sailsailor

Traveler
No I haven't. I have thought about it. Mine is the 144" version, the only one built on a short wheelbase, so they told me at the factory. I'm guessing I'd be pushing the limit as well. Maybe that's why it drives so well.

Top Bottom