Biggest Westyfest West ever?

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
See posts 15, 16, and 17 with specifications in following thread. Lots of confusion as each country has different ways of describing various models.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2096&page=2

Google translate seems to suggest that the 3.500 kg for the NCV3 specifications is a downrated amount (for European licensing purposes?).

Westyfest West looks like it was a lot of fun. The butane stove and pan look very useful. Another step to getting rid of propane?

autocamp

un-Airstream'ed & un-Dodged NAFTA JC
See posts 15, 16, and 17 with specifications in following thread. Lots of confusion as each country has different ways of describing various models.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2096&page=2

Google translate seems to suggest that the 3.500 kg for the NCV3 specifications is a downrated amount (for European licensing purposes?).

Westyfest West looks like it was a lot of fun. The butane stove and pan look very useful. Another step to getting rid of propane?
I am unable to find a copy of specification or manual for the European T1N JC of our era. That would be the authority. Short of that relying on the MB Sprinter specs is just not reliable as there are more permutations for different region than you can shake a stick at.

I am now convinced that there were silver lining with the Airstream's merchandising accident that we are lucky to own one. We have higher GVW must be the result of roof top AC, generator, black tank and the infamous python that is the 3" dia draining hose. This result in higher payload capacity once you strip some of that stuff off.

Peter, what is the towing capacity of the European T1N JC and the max tongue weight? The NAFTA JC is 5000 lb and 500 lb.

The little butane stove is for cooking stuff that creates a lot of oil smoke so they can done outside, like frying a piece of fish or steak. Also as a backup cooking stove. I cannot tell you how many times it saved me when the propane tank emptied in my Westfalia Vanagon camper that has no level indicator. I alway ensure I have an extra can of the butane canister.

Last edited:

autocamp

Page 23 of this German James Cook brochure.
Thanks for sharing the German brochure. It is very informative and a well made brochure that is not dumbed down. You can definitely tell the dumbed down Airstream one was created from this one, and Airstream didn't have anyone competent to make the one for the floor plan that reflects the changed toilet. :lol:

autocamp

Cheaper than Rockbottom Auto. I notice a lot of T1N Sprinter parts jumped in price over the last 5 years or so. Also a lot of these Mopar parts online vendors tend to be the same owners with many different "sites" and entities. You can generally infer by the transaction engines and site presentations.

Further, the price is high as very few owners know this exist, and you are paying for MB storing these for over a decade for you.

Last edited:

jamescook

Peter, what is the towing capacity of the European T1N JC and the max tongue weight? The NAFTA JC is 5000 lb and 500 lb.
I just looked in the license papers of my old 2003 James Cook T1N.

Max towing is 2000 kg = 4409 lbs

The max tongue weight depends on the hitch that you mount. The James Cook didn't come with a hitch. You could add different brands. Mine was specified with max. 100 kg = 220 lbs

Peter

jamescook

I think I read somewhere that 3.5t is a magic number in Europe for vehicles. Above that amount, you may need a special license. May only apply to cargo or commercial vehicles.

The various manufacturers may offer a load upgrade from 3.5t to 3.8 or 3.88t (another magic number for some purpose), then another jump up.
you were right about the 3500 kg number. This separates cars from trucks in Europe. With a regular European drivers license, you may drive any vehicle up to 3.5t, no matter if commercial or not.

For anything bigger, you need a truck drivers license that is also good for 30t semis.

(older people like me are lucky, as the old German license that you could get until 1998 was good for up to 7500 kg and holders of it are grandfathered)

Another reason for staying below 3.5t are the traffic laws. Trucks (> 3.5t have a general speed limit of 80 km/h (50 mph). Vans like mine can go 100 mph. That you can get an exemption for motorhomes that allow 100 km/h (62 mph) is a feeble consolation.

So 3.5t is really important.

3.88t is just more than 3.5 and shows what the car technically can carry. The 3.5 versions are technically identical with just other papers. The NCV3 Sprinter had 3880 kg, the next version (VS30) has 4100 kg. Or 5000 kg if you order the chassis with duallies.

So no magic here.

Peter

sprinterwesty

SprinterWesty Windsurfer
I want to beef up the suspension for a heavier load. Do you know if the axel and bearings can handle it? Where do I find this data?

jamescook

Maybe you should start a new thread. This one is called "Biggest Westyfest West ever?" and the discussion went very far off topic.

Peter

Top Bottom