sprinter t1n emergency, urgent help appreciated

wires

Actually the most cogent part of that thread is likely the last post:

...two wires that rubbed on the exaust and shorted out the ECM...

I'm still of the opinion that ECM's are usually quite sturdy boxes. It is very interesting to me that fuse 16 is spec'd at different values, 25A in FUSE BLOCK NO.1 drawing, 15A in the FUSES, FUSE BLOCK NO.1 listing and also 15A in the actual wiring diagrams. At 15A I can't imagine the size traces that appear to carry power being damaged by a dead short. From my board burning experiences I'd even imagine them to survive at 25A or possibly even 30A for the amount of time that it takes for a fuse to blow. OTOH I have seen the insulation melt off 14 AWG wires in less than 10 seconds without over-current protection.

NORTON

Actually the most cogent part of that thread is likely the last post:

I'm still of the opinion that ECM's are usually quite sturdy boxes. It is very interesting to me that fuse 16 is spec'd at different values, 25A in FUSE BLOCK NO.1 drawing, 15A in the FUSES, FUSE BLOCK NO.1 listing and also 15A in the actual wiring diagrams. At 15A I can't imagine the size traces that appear to carry power being damaged by a dead short. From my board burning experiences I'd even imagine them to survive at 25A or possibly even 30A for the amount of time that it takes for a fuse to blow. OTOH I have seen the insulation melt off 14 AWG wires in less than 10 seconds without over-current protection.
Wires, on the legend on my number1 fuse box lid it shows number 16 fuse, engine control unit 15*/25** *petrol/**diesel

blackheartmx

Sorry guys - went on vacation for a week and just took a break. I haven't gotten any further with the van. I will post the pics of the other side of the burnt up ECU for anyone wanting to visually diagnose the damage further.

I also haven't quite decided what to do in terms of fixing the hidden problem. I'm at my wits end and will likely sell the van off and move onward.

Top Bottom