Gutter re-sealing

Kiltym

Just wondering if people have re-sealed the gutter around our vans? The caulk that is in there now is pretty cracked and not looking like any type of good seal remains. I am not exactly sure what that caulk is sealing. I am sure there is some bedding material between the roof section and the van, so maybe it is "extra" just in case....

Ideally, all the caulk is removed, and then new caulk applied. Have others done this? The caulk is pretty solid, so seems like a ton of work.

Or has anyone simply caulked over the existing caulk? Knowing the type of caulk might be helpful, but using something with strong adhesion, like 3M 5200, might be OK.

Hello,
I resealed my gutters by cleaning them and applying Sikaflex 221. It is sold online and at rv stores. My gutters were in good shape, maybe a little cracked. I sealed them because I was trying to seal a water leak I had. It turns out the leak was from the vent in the kitchen area. At any rate I sealed everything I thought could be attributed to the leak. Sikaflex 221 is a sealant and adhesive that is commonly used in European Rv's. I would use some painters tape to make a clean look. Just don't let the Sikaflex cure to long before you remove the tape.

Cheers,
Brennan

Kiltym

Thanks.

I assume no issues adhering to the existing caulk?

And how many tubes did it take? I was thinking 2.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Mr1987Joker/Brennan identified the original sealant.

In the Airstream/Westfalia Parts Catalog, it identifies Sikaflex 221, white, and Sikaflex 221, black, as the sealant.

Interestingly, the catalog also identifies two paintable high roofs, a large skylight version and a small skylight version.. I wonder if there were any Westies with a small skylight instead of the large poweres Heki 4 skylight.

Camp

Sprinter Westfalia
Interestingly, the catalog also identifies two paintable high roofs, a large skylight version and a small skylight version.. I wonder if there were any Westies with a small skylight instead of the large poweres Heki 4 skylight.
I have always wondered the same thing, but have only seen them on the European JC Westies. In the parts manual, Airstream also went through the effort of differentiating the small skylight in the main compartment (25-42mm) from the one in the bathroom (43-60mm). Maybe they were going to try a la carte options to bring the price down?

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=603324&postcount=8

Kiltym

I ended up removing about 4' of the sikaflex starting at the front of the gutter and moving back on both sides. It actually came up OK without nearly as much effort as I expected. I used a plastic tool (part of a trim removal kit I have for interior trim parts) to avoid scratching the paint. I also removed about 2' around the front of the van from each corner.

I then put new sikaflex on the portion I removed, and re-sealed all the rest of the gutter without removing (I did clean it very well) all the way around the back. It has only been a couple of months, but all is well and the re-sealing is staying adhered to the old sikaflex fine so far.

Is Sikaflex 221 still considered the best product for resealing the upper gutter-mine needs total redoing after 15 years ?

I remember discus had used a 3M product, that I just asked about in his inspiring thread.

Sikaflex claims to be paintable, but I like the black lines at the seams on the van, although it would be easier to paint over them though when I go to repaint the whole van. I'm guessing the ideal process is to remove the existing sealant, refurbish any underlying corrosion, paint the van, then reseal, but I am having to move forward in a more piecemeal fashion then the ideal. A complete repaint is probably far in the future so right now I am trying to protect my foundation by taking care of the exterior sans a complete repainting.

Last edited:

Top Bottom