Trailer brake controllers

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC
I'm interested in installing a trailer brake controller and light wiring. Has anyone installed a controller?? I am thinking of taking it to the dealer to get it done, if they will do it.

bobinyelm

I haven't yet installed mine, but I DO have the wiring diagram and will email it to you as an attachment if you'd like (email me).

The diagram is for the factory tow package, which at least in some years didn't even include a wire to the rear towing recepticle.

Bob

I'm interested in installing a trailer brake controller and light wiring. Has anyone installed a controller?? I am thinking of taking it to the dealer to get it done, if they will do it.

Zach Woods

Howdy Bob -

My Camper came with trailer wiring in place but I have both not used trailer brakes with it and have heard that the wiring may not be there/ correct for trailer brakes.

I would be interested in seeing the trailer wiring documents that you have to compare what is installed on my Sprinter and I'm guessing that others would to.

Go ahead and post the diagram as an attachment so we can all benefit.

Thanks,

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC
Well, the van goes to the dealer tomorrow to get the harness installed....I'll post the results when I get it back.

ObiWanJak

GS Hauler
I found the directions for the factory wiring harness install on this site, but it didn't have any part numbers. Does anyone have that available? I"m also curious how much it cost to get it installed at the dealer. Thanks!

Loren

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Factor trailer wiring does not include wiring for trailer brakes. I tow very little but I would like to add that option too. The trailer has them so may as well :thumbup: .

Well, the van goes to the dealer tomorrow to get the harness installed....I'll post the results when I get it back.
WELL?? Don't leave us hanging :smilewink: How did it come out?

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC
The dealer only installed the light harness set up.:yell: Looking at the diagrams for the light harness, it looks like an involved process. However, all they did was tap into the harness at the bumper and charged me ~$300. I could have done it for $20:idunno: They had it done in 30 minutes...I didn't even get home from dropping the van off and they called to tell me its done.

The service manager told me to hook up a brake controller according to the brake controller's instructions.:idunno: When I get one, I'll hook it up and post about it.

rvdriverca

Who instaled my brake controler connected the trigger wire (red) to after the brake light switch and after a time the speed control would stop working and the abs and other light came on. The Mechanic thought the the brake control unit was causing these problems and disconnected it. Can somebody advise, where to connect the brake controler trigger wire, other than after the brake light switch. thanks

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Who instaled my brake controler connected the trigger wire (red) to after the brake light switch and after a time the speed control would stop working and the abs and other light came on. The Mechanic thought the the brake control unit was causing these problems and disconnected it. Can somebody advise, where to connect the brake controler trigger wire, other than after the brake light switch. thanks
I guess you did post it already. :laughing:

Can you tell us where exactly you connected this wire? A picture would definite help, if possible. That way we can narrow it down on the schematic.

Thanks,
Seek

Joes05VC

'05 Vista Cruiser fun trk
John Bendit at Upscale Automotive in Tualatin, OR installed a Curt class 4 hitch, the wiring, and a prodegy brake controller on my '05 Vista Cruiser ('04 long tall Sprinter) in Oct. '06. He did a very clean and neat install. However, I have not bought a trailer yet and have yet to pull anything. The wiring job includes both a 7 pin and 4 pin connector on the hitch. The brake controller is mounted on the dash in front of my left knee below the DIN opening in the dash.

FFJeff

Check out the Yahoo Sprinter group archives for the brake controller intallation info. ALL the wiring for the controller is attached under the drivers seat where the factory trailer wiring terminates on to the brake interface module. Its not an easy procedure, you need to order wiring block pins from Dodge to do it properly.

Top Bottom