• 38 in

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • 40 in

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • 42 in

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters

patineto

Road bikes and tall people's MTBs are a bit trickier, as I need to put them in at an angle, and they're not really secured.
When I build my bike rack in the late 90's, I make sure I have all kinds of adjustments so i can carry two very different types of bikes (wheel base vary like crazy depending on the type and obviously the size

one of the features I build was a "Rotating" fork mount (Using snowboard plates for indexing), more than anything to improve clearance lane splitting (California) but never found it necessary..

Same thing you can find fork mounts with rotating mounts so you can lean the bike and keep is solid (I will not recommend this with carbon road bike forks, if you get my drift)

Another tip, alternating the bikes front and back (or up and down like in this case) gives you valuable space because the handlebars don't get in the way..

flyag1

We shall see how it works, but we are building a fixed high bed in our new van. Going with 43" of clearance under so I can load our Mtn bikes with tires & wheels intact. We did this on our first Sprinter Build and it was great but I don't remember the exact hight under the bed. I think it was 41" and I have to compress the front fork to get the bars under. Finished height of mattress should be around 49-50"

flyag1

We shall see how it works, but we are building a fixed high bed in our new van. Going with 43" of clearance under so I can load our Mtn bikes with tires & wheels intact. We did this on our first Sprinter Build and it was great but I don't remember the exact hight under the bed. I think it was 41" and I have to compress the front fork to get the bars under. Finished height of mattress should be around 49-50"
Bed is now installed and is working great: Ended up with 43" clearance for bikes. I can roll my 29" Tall Boy under with no issues. And I have the Fox 32 140mm fork installed. Don't even have to drop the seat post... :) We are very happy with this setup.

The way we built the platform we have the option of raising or lowering the bed 6 inches either direction. All we have to do is drill two 1/4 inch holes and reposition the platform.

Platform is made of 1" aluminum sq tubing with 1/4 Russian Burch ply between the memory foam and aluminum tubing.

MotoXPress

Bed is now installed and is working great: Ended up with 43" clearance for bikes. I can roll my 29" Tall Boy under with no issues. And I have the Fox 32 140mm fork installed. Don't even have to drop the seat post... :) We are very happy with this setup.

The way we built the platform we have the option of raising or lowering the bed 6 inches either direction. All we have to do is drill two 1/4 inch holes and reposition the platform.

Platform is made of 1" aluminum sq tubing with 1/4 Russian Burch ply between the memory foam and aluminum tubing.

Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spach

Stephen
I'm surprised nobody is concerned about leaving their seatpost compressed for long periods of time. I have a RockShox Reverb, which is hydraulic, and it's strongly recommended not to leave it compressed for storage as it stresses the seals, which at best will lead to more frequent bleeds, and can potentially create more expensive repairs down the road. To be fair, while I love the dropper, it's more finicky than a metal spring-based post, but leaving any spring compressed over long periods of time isn't recommended either.

One thing worth mentioning is that of course it's not necessarily an all-or-nothing proposal: For the Reverb, fully compressed is 700 PSI vs 250 uncompressed (at least per http://bit.ly/2P0XOcg), but that doesn't mean that storing the seatpost down only an inch or two can't be done, and probably wouldn't do too much harm over time adding a few PSI in that fashion.

Like some of you, I'm currently trying to figure out what height to install my platform bed at, and I'm leaning towards 40", though I need to do the sit-up-in-bed test first. I'd store the bike with a slight compression if I needed to do e.g., 39" or whatever.

flyag1

I have 43.5" under the bed frame. Bikes go in with wheels on and dropper post fully extended. These are Mtn e-bikes size large as in Specialized Levo's. The bed platform is made up using 1" aluminum square tubing with a 1/4" plywood base to support our 6" foam mattress. For those wandering, the Levo has 150mm travel up front so it's a tall bike.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I'm surprised nobody is concerned about leaving their seatpost compressed for long periods of time. I have a RockShox Reverb, which is hydraulic, and it's strongly recommended not to leave it compressed for storage as it stresses the seals, which at best will lead to more frequent bleeds, and can potentially create more expensive repairs down the road. To be fair, while I love the dropper, it's more finicky than a metal spring-based post, but leaving any spring compressed over long periods of time isn't recommended either.

One thing worth mentioning is that of course it's not necessarily an all-or-nothing proposal: For the Reverb, fully compressed is 700 PSI vs 250 uncompressed (at least per http://bit.ly/2P0XOcg), but that doesn't mean that storing the seatpost down only an inch or two can't be done, and probably wouldn't do too much harm over time adding a few PSI in that fashion.

Like some of you, I'm currently trying to figure out what height to install my platform bed at, and I'm leaning towards 40", though I need to do the sit-up-in-bed test first. I'd store the bike with a slight compression if I needed to do e.g., 39" or whatever.
I think 39-40” bed height is perfect. That is what I used. I can sit up in bed with head just touching ceiling. Most of my mountain bikes have droppers now after I recently fell in love with the Fox Transfer. Did not realize a dropper could be so smooth and trouble free. Dumped my Specialized branded dropper and replaced with the Fox.

My Farley fat bike and my wife’s bikes all fit under the bed with rigid seat posts. Picture is of my Trek Farley and Specialized Enduro. Snow ride today at Mammoth on the Farley.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spach

Stephen
I think 39-40” bed height is perfect. That is what I used. I can sit up in bed with head just touching ceiling. Most of my mountain bikes have droppers now after I recently fell in love with the Fox Transfer. Did not realize a dropper could be so smooth and trouble free. Dumped my Specialized branded dropper and replaced with the Fox.

My Farley fat bike and my wife’s bikes all fit under the bed with rigid seat posts. Picture is of my Trek Farley and Specialized Enduro. Snow ride today at Mammoth on the Farley.
Great info, thanks for sharing. I have 1" of polyiso under my floor so I'll probably go 40". Mind me asking if you have plans/details/writeup of your bed platform? That looks exactly like how I want to build mine. (Feel free to PM me so as not to hijack this thread.)

mtbkers

I would have agreed with you as I never ever leave my post down at home (I work in a bike shop and I'm constantly pushing levers to make sure customer posts are up when they're in the shop), but reading this made me remember that for 5 months my Rockshox post was compressed whilst living in my van and nothing bad happened. So now I'm not so sure...

I recently bought an Ibis HD and the frame is lower than my old Santa Cruz (because of the ability to use a longer dropper, Yahoo!). This is fantastic news for people like me who have low roof Sprinters :)

Last edited:

spach

Stephen
I would have agreed with you as I never ever leave my post down at home (I work in a bike shop and I'm constantly pushing levers to make sure customer posts are up when they're in the shop), but reading this made me remember that for 5 months my Rockshox post was compressed whilst living in my van and nothing bad happened. So now I'm not so sure...
Once in college I drank beer for three days straight on very little sleep. Nothing bad happened, but that doesn't mean it was a particularly smart idea either... ;)

I recently bought an Ibis HD and the frame is lower than my old Santa Cruz (because of the ability to use a longer dropper, Yahoo!). This is fantastic news for people like me who have low roof Sprinters :)
More fantastic news: I've never heard anything but love for the Mojo, I'm sure you'll have a blast with that thing!

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Great info, thanks for sharing. I have 1" of polyiso under my floor so I'll probably go 40". Mind me asking if you have plans/details/writeup of your bed platform? That looks exactly like how I want to build mine. (Feel free to PM me so as not to hijack this thread.)

I have 1/2” of Poly iso under my floor. You can find details on the bed platforms in my build thread Baby Shamu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dongoose

I don't know about you but on any road trip where I transport my bike, it doesn't stay stored in my vehicle for "long periods of time." If we were talking about weeks or months at a time, I might tend to agree with you, but a few hours or days with the dropper down isn't gonna hurt anything.

spach

Stephen
I don't know about you but on any road trip where I transport my bike, it doesn't stay stored in my vehicle for "long periods of time." If we were talking about weeks or months at a time, I might tend to agree with you, but a few hours or days with the dropper down isn't gonna hurt anything.
Agreed. For short periods of time I'm sure it would be fine, but for a full-time van dweller I would think it would be a less than ideal setup. I'm somewhere in the middle, typically on the road for between one and a few weeks, so I feel it's safe for my use to have mine partially lowered as a trade for being able to sit upright in bed.

As you say, YMMV.

Mr Makai

We have ours on a Bedslide. So to fit MTBs we set our bed at 40 inches. That front wheel off and droppers down.

Roadies will require seats to be pulled.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Mr Makai

We have ours on a Bedslide. So to fit MTBs we set our bed at 40 inches. That front wheel off and droppers down. This is for longish travel Enduro bikes in size large.

Roadies will require seats to be pulled.

Mr Makai

Here's the clearance we have.

FWIW our clearance is limited by handlebar height not seat height.

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

'02 T1N low roof 140.

32 inch bed, bicycle 26 inch wheels, pull the front wheel and seat to load.

My bicycle-Lightspeed Titanium mountain bike.
Set up for gravel road bike packing, etc.

Been staying out of the ER(I'm old.).

And riding gravel in the Sonora desert every day.

Here's one for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/i/333399211481...t6AZzOm8x_JYZKnIYdYTlB_y-4PldAbhoCQLcQAvD_BwE

Mines a hardtail with a rigid front fork.

There are many ways.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

bcman

Agreed. For short periods of time I'm sure it would be fine, but for a full-time van dweller I would think it would be a less than ideal setup. I'm somewhere in the middle, typically on the road for between one and a few weeks, so I feel it's safe for my use to have mine partially lowered as a trade for being able to sit upright in bed.

As you say, YMMV.
I recently talked with the CEO of KS (They make the LEV dropper post) about my method of securing bikes in the van, and he didn't see anything wrong with it. I didn't ask specifically about storing the bike with the post at or near full compression, but I remember that when I bought my KS, it came in the box fully compressed. Come to think of it, my OneUp dropper also came fully compressed in the box. I don't think they'd do that if sitting on a container ship for 3 months fully compressed would damage anything.

lizziej

39-41” bed height is my sweet spot. Just high enough for most fixed seat posts to clear and enough head space in the bed to sit upright.

39-41” bed height is my sweet spot. Just high enough for most fixed seat posts to clear and enough head space in the bed to sit upright.

that sounds perfect - assuming you need an H3 to achieve this?

Top Bottom