Occasional stalling on startup, black smoke - help!

skyeg3

I've been lurking and searching on the forum but I think it’s time I call for help. Hellllp!

Heres the issue:

2005 170k miles. Lots of adaptive equipment like hand controls and a lift. On occasion - say 10 times a year - the van will stall after starting. Maybe 10 seconds after crank over. It has never stalled while moving thankfully. We will usually take the key out for 30 seconds or so then crank it over again - then it will start and usually drive fine. Then we forget about it until a month later and it happens again. Sometimes the van will run but will be spewing black smoke. I’ve driven it like this when it has maybe 20% of its normal power - spewing black smoke. Sometimes I just floor it in park and rev it around 3.5k rpm to clear it out. It works! Anyways, we just started it again and have more black smoke and low power. Hence the post :/

My friend has a DAD scanner and these are the codes we have:

Single diagnosis CDI Diesel
P2013 (ambient air temp sensor)
P2067, P2068 (mass airflow sensor)
Single Diagnosis Traction
C163E
C1159
C15FA
Single Diagnosis AIRBAG
3 Driver's Emergency Tensioning Retractor Squib Circuit (R12/1)
Single Diagnosis Inst. Cluster
B1010
Single Diagnosis Autom. Transm.
P2404 (EVAP Emission Sys Leak Detection Pump Sensore Circuit Range/Perf_)
P2400 (EVAP Emission Sys Leak Detection Pump Control_Circuit/Open_)

(my own notes in parenthesis)

Seems to me ambient air temp and mass airflow sensors would be first to be replaced. What do you guys think? Any help is MASSIVLEY appreciated. Thanks.

skyeg3

Aqua Puttana, what is a dtc? DAD Trouble Code? I did clear everything so it sounds like I need to borrow the computer again and rescan. Great idea about the chart I'll do that. Thanks!

Just to add more info about the nuances of the problem.

The van sometimes stalls a few seconds after starting. If gas is applied during cranking then it will start and stay revved up and wont stall. If the throttle is applied rapidly then the engine will not rev up and stay in this low power state, smoking black smoke. If the throttle is rolled on slowly the engine will behave normally all the way to redline.

skyeg3

We replaced the crankshaft position sensor on advice from a local mechanic. Started up for 3 seconds then dies. Next crank the sprinter starts up and works great for a few miles then we turn the van off to talk to a neighbor for 5 mins. when starting it up again the van was an low power and spewing black smoke. Trying to get a hold of a scanner for codes..

Mverick

Mine is pretty much doing the same thing.

Started and idles then died.

Does 10 times.

Reved while starting and problem cleared.

Drove for 2 weeks fine.

2 weeks later same issue. But now threw a check engine light. And will now start and idle but push accelerator it chugs. Push accelerator slowly it accelerates fine.

Haven't tried on road yet.

Where to buy a scan tool for codes?

surlyoldbill

Looking at the DTCs and hearing the symptoms, I'd check out the MAF first. The ambient air temp sensor being haywire can also make the ECU do funny things. That's the sensor behind the front license plate.

Top Bottom