Generator question

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
I'm kind of confused. The OP has a $100 refrigerator and doesn't want to spend the $700 for an efficient dc refrigerator, but seems willing to spend thousands on generators. I think I'd start by trying to reduce the energy need, reconsider solar and use a small Honda for back-up. Just my opinion.
Norm

If you missed post 1, I can see how you may be confused.

UD

Last edited:

jjrubino

What about a high quality cargo box for the generator and the gas. It keeps them out of the passenger area, which will be much safer. This solution will also reduce noise and make it easier to place the generator a few feet away for an even quieter setup.

ehallspqr

I'm kind of confused. The OP has a $100 refrigerator and doesn't want to spend the $700 for an efficient dc refrigerator, but seems willing to spend thousands on generators. I think I'd start by trying to reduce the energy need, reconsider solar and use a small Honda for back-up. Just my opinion.
Norm
Except he already has the 13,500BTU roof AC so he's stuck with that. I agree with your line of thinking though. Personally I'd go with an efficient AC/DC fridge like an Engel or ARB and a Honda 3K generator. The diesel sounds nice but 400lbs just for the gen-set, then add the enclosure weight? That's allot of added weight for a Sprinter not to mention the cost of the diesel generator. But different requirements require different solutions and that's why no two builds I've seen on the Sprinter forum are ever the same.

The EU3000 is $1900 & 160 lbs. You could mount that off your hitch in a tray. A nice 80-Qt efficient DC fridge is $1400-1600. Add a solar setup and another battery for around $2000. The price would be about the same and he'd have solar. When not using the roof AC the solar would run everything else in his rig.

We are planning to use our generator for short periods. Running the microwave and our small AC when stopped for a few hours etc. Our solar takes care of everything else in the van and the costs is "zero". After the costs of the system that is.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
And again there's the reality of how much is he really going to be able to run the A/C? (and we'd know if the OP didn't just disappear from the thread :idunno:) As mentioned earlier long generator runtimes are often prohibited, or undesirable for other reasons (there's no stealth camping with a generator running all day or night.) There's no sense in installing a heavy, expensive generator when the actual running hours per month don't justify it. Unless there is a need for a lot of continuous A/C there are many better options, such as the one outlined above.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
And again there's the reality of how much is he really going to be able to run the A/C? (and we'd know if the OP didn't just disappear from the thread :idunno:) As mentioned earlier long generator runtimes are often prohibited, or undesirable for other reasons (there's no stealth camping with a generator running all day or night.) There's no sense in installing a heavy, expensive generator when the actual running hours per month don't justify it. Unless there is a need for a lot of continuous A/C there are many better options, such as the one outlined above.
Seems he did kind of vanish. We all have questions for him.

He said he added up his loads and needed a 6500 and the thread pulled him all the way back to a lone honda 2K and solar. Not quite realistic if he actually added his loads up.

He specifically mention that his friend told him even 2 wouldn't be enough from their experience with them starting 2 compressor based devices simultaneously.

I agree on Engel- love that product have one in my RV storage on a slide out.

I think the OP need to give us some clearer info on his other loads and use so we can be helpful.

My experience is that lots of people who haven't used an RV before completely overestimate the dash AC's ability to cool the whole unit on a 90+ degree day and underestimate their load and or end up using the van in a different way they intended.

Now that you really can't idle the new diesels anymore the option to sit a few hours and sleep with the dash AC running is gone.

UD

Top Bottom