Espar D5 for Cabin Heat & Hot Water Heat

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
The other option if you wish to connect to the van's coolant system is to use a water/water heat exchanger to keep the systems isolated. I think that this the safer option. Rixen's sells an exchanger intended for this purpose.
water to water heat exchangers are easy to source and quite inexpensive.

mntnmanga

I am in the design phase of adding a heated floor to my van. Would you mind elaborating on your setup, if you can add a parts list and ruff sketch of your system than I would be forever in your debt!
Attached is a quick schematic of my system.

When the heater is on, water is always circulating through the heating air coil as well as the drinking water heater tank. The heating floor system is on its own control system and turns on and off based on the temperature of the floor.

Basic Components:

Heater: Espar MII-12

Air Heating Coil: I used a standard 12x6 or 12x8 commercial HVAC coil and installed quiet (s-blade) 12V computer fans on the back of it.

Water Heater: Isotemp Round Style water heater tank

Floor heating Loop: My floor heating loop is made with 1/2" tubing. That was a bit overkill when I put this system together 5 years ago. If I went back and did it again, I would use 3/8 tubing. The tempering valve is a standard 3-port water tempering valve. The circulating pump is a small Bosch coolant circulating pump. I actually used the same pump that my T1N sprinter uses on the coolant loop.

Controls: My espar heater and air coil are controlled by a household programmable thermostat based on air temperature. This is mostly relay logic plus the thermostat. The floor heating system is controlled by an arduino. I have a temperature sensor down a piece of pex tubing to the middle of the floor. The arduino reads the temperature and turns the circulating pump on and off based on that temperature.

Attachments

Davydd

My Great West Vans Legend has a Rixen's system. The exact setup they used was later adopted by ARV when they spun-out of Great West. As far as I know, they are still using it, so they are another place you can look for ideas. In particular, note that they use the coolant loop to heat the tanks and exposed piping in order to achieve 4-season operation. I stole this idea from them and reworked my system along the same lines. Reported here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=405931&highlight=season+upgrade#post405931
Just a minor correction in your narrative. ARV never “spun-out” of Great West. The owner of ARV before ARV existed was just a customer and RV enthusiast. He gave the idea to GWVans for the Rixen system and the compressor refrigerator and maybe a few other things to have custom built. GWVan subsequently adopted them as their standard. I knew of this while my GWVan was being built much to my chagrin of being a tad too soon and not benefiting. You indirectly benefited from the future ARV. Yes they are still using the Rixen system. ARV did Initially adopt the floor plan Layout and sofa/bed on side rails because it was the best design at the time and nothing more. That is my corroborating opinion and it closely matched my previous Pleasure-way. My present ARV did not have the sofa/bed as I in turn gave them the electric articulating bed design as a first in a Class B and my next ARV will be an entirely different design plan of my own and not remotely anything like my current ARV.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Just a minor correction in your narrative. ARV never “spun-out” of Great West.
You keep saying this. Unfortunately, it just ain't so.

ARV was launched jointly by Mike Neundorfer and Mike Ellis. Your story about MN being a GWV customer is accurate. Ellis, however, was general manager of GWV at the time. When ARV was launched, Ellis was its founding president, as you can confirm on his LinkedIn page:

Mike Ellis Linkedin.png

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-ellis-22917219/

His stay at ARV was relatively brief and I do not know the circumstances of his departure. I know, however, that his involvement has been carefully scrubbed from the ARV website. The Net never forgets, though. A little poking around at previous versions of their website in the Wayback Machine will readily demonstrate the depth of his involvement during and after launch. For example, here is an excerpt from Mike Ellis's bio from the ARV website in 2013:

Taking Mike’s needs into account and looking at all the possibilities led to the development of a brand-new model of Class B motor home. Conversations with Mike about innovations for Class B motor homes continued right through 2011 and into 2012. At the same time, the owner of Great West Vans sold the company. The new owners took over in February, 2012. For a number of reasons, at that point I decided to leave.

In March, 2012, Mike Neundorfer and I decided to start Advanced RV, a Class B motor home manufacturing company based in Willoughby, Ohio.
You may quibble with the meaning of the term "spin out", but when a customer and the manager of one business leave together to launch another business, I think that most reasonable people would agree that the event would qualify.

Interestingly, here is a screen-grab from a (now deleted) youTube video that bizarrely contains BOTH GWV and ARV branding:

2012 GWV youtube.jpg

As for the extent to which the design of the original ARV Ocean 1 borrowed from the GWV Legend, let's take a look:

Here is. the layout of the Legend from the era:
GWV floorplan.jpg

and here is the original Ocean 1:
ARV floorplan.jpg

To their credit, ARV significantly upgraded to much nicer/more expensive finishes, paid much more attention to aesthetics, and added the Silverleaf electronic control panel. Beyond that, the vans were essentially clones of each other--right down to the folding screen doors, door grab handles, and much more.

It is also interesting to read what you (Davydd) said about all of this at the time:

Davydd wrote:

The Advanced RV genesis was the Great West Van Legend. Mike Neundorfer bought a Legend just after I bought mine. He put in a lot of requests that Mike Ellis at the time acceded to which subsequently got incorporated into the Legend EX. Neundorfer then decided to start up Advanced RV. When Great West Van was sold, Mike Ellis went over to Advanced RV. I was their first visitor last May when the Ocean One was but a recently delivered cargo van. The design work was ongoing at the time and was being done on a CAD program called Solidworks. The company has a lot of design and engineering expertise. They picked my brain and took my suggestions and it appears quite a few translated well sprung from the Legend. Right now they may be a step above the Legend EX. If I were to buy another B, Advanced RV would be at the top of my list knowing they would be able to work with you to get exactly what you desire.

[...]

Mike Ellis was very much "involved" last May and more than as a consultant was my impression and he was pretty much the point man in all the videos they were initially putting out. What his status is today, I don't know. I really haven't kept up with developments other than to get the Advanced RV newsletter and read their website. So, since May, I am not any more privy to any information than isn't available to anyone else.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26654655/page/2.cfm

I am a big fan of ARV, but I honestly don't understand the motivation for this kind of revisionist history, and I certainly don't understand your motivation for backing it up. Your van is amazing, and ARV has come a long way since 2012. But to deny their origins as a GWV spin-off is historically inaccurate and just silly.

Last edited:

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
You may quibble with the meaning of the term "spin out", but when a customer and the manager of one business leave together to launch another business, I think that most reasonable people would agree that the event would qualify.
As a (mostly) disinterested 3rd party, I disagree with the use of the term "spin out" to describe what is recounted herein. I sought guidance from the web to back up my understanding, and found a definition of "spin out" from Investopedia. According to Investopedia, a "spin out" is a corporate restructuring, with the "spun out" portion of the original company taking with it parts of the original company that form the genesis of the new company. The descriptions provided here about ARV and GWV seem to say that one guy left GWV and joined up with a previous customer of GWV and made a new company; no business infrastructure from GWV was used in creating ARV.

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
As I (mostly) disinterested 3rd party, I disagree with the use of the term "spin out" to describe what is recounted herein. I sought guidance from the web to back up my understanding, and found a definition of "spin out" from Investopedia. According to Investopedia, a "spin out" is a corporate restructuring, with the "spun out" portion of the original company taking with it parts of the original company that form the genesis of the new company. The descriptions provided here about ARV and GWV seem to say that one guy left GWV and joined up with a previous customer of GWV and made a new company; no business infrastructure from GWV was used in creating ARV.
That is one definition. It is certainly not the only one in common use. For example, a great many companies are said to have "spun out" of various universities. Here's another definition:

"a business company that has developed from another organization"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/spin-out

I am not particularly interested in debating definitions. I have documented the facts of the situation. Call it what you like.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Attached is a quick schematic of my system.

When the heater is on, water is always circulating through the heating air coil as well as the drinking water heater tank. The heating floor system is on its own control system and turns on and off based on the temperature of the floor.

Basic Components:

Heater: Espar MII-12

Air Heating Coil: I used a standard 12x6 or 12x8 commercial HVAC coil and installed quiet (s-blade) 12V computer fans on the back of it.

Water Heater: Isotemp Round Style water heater tank

Floor heating Loop: My floor heating loop is made with 1/2" tubing. That was a bit overkill when I put this system together 5 years ago. If I went back and did it again, I would use 3/8 tubing. The tempering valve is a standard 3-port water tempering valve. The circulating pump is a small Bosch coolant circulating pump. I actually used the same pump that my T1N sprinter uses on the coolant loop.

Controls: My espar heater and air coil are controlled by a household programmable thermostat based on air temperature. This is mostly relay logic plus the thermostat. The floor heating system is controlled by an arduino. I have a temperature sensor down a piece of pex tubing to the middle of the floor. The arduino reads the temperature and turns the circulating pump on and off based on that temperature.
Is this a sealed system?, no expansion tank?

Davydd

You keep saying this. Unfortunately, it just ain't so.

ARV was launched jointly by Mike Neundorfer and Mike Ellis. Your story about MN being a GWV customer is accurate. Ellis, however, was general manager of GWV at the time. When ARV was launched, Ellis was its founding president, as you can confirm on his LinkedIn page:

View attachment 119893

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-ellis-22917219/

His stay at ARV was relatively brief and I do not know the circumstances of his departure. I know, however, that his involvement has been carefully scrubbed from the ARV website. The Net never forgets, though. A little poking around at previous versions of their website in the Wayback Machine will readily demonstrate the depth of his involvement during and after launch. For example, here is an excerpt from Mike Ellis's bio from the ARV website in 2013:

Interestingly, here is a screen-grab from a (now deleted) youTube video that bizarrely contains BOTH GWV and ARV branding:

View attachment 119891

As for the extent to which the design of the original ARV Ocean 1 borrowed from the GWV Legend, let's take a look:

Here is. the layout of the Legend from the era:
View attachment 119890

and here is the original Ocean 1:
View attachment 119889

To their credit, ARV significantly upgraded to much nicer/more expensive finishes, paid much more attention to aesthetics, and added the Silverleaf electronic control panel. Beyond that, the vans were essentially clones of each other--right down to the folding screen doors, door grab handles, and much more.

It is also interesting to read what you (Davydd) said about all of this at the time:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26654655/page/2.cfm

I am a big fan of ARV, but I honestly don't understand the motivation for this kind of revisionist history, and I certainly don't understand your motivation for backing it up. Your van is amazing, and ARV has come a long way since 2012. But to deny their origins as a GWV spin-off is historically inaccurate and just silly.
I assume Mike N was looking for a new challenge after he bought a GWVan and despite all the custom things he got he was still not satisfied. In fact frustrated. He confided that to me. That was the impetus. The original owner of GWVan retired and sold the company. For whatever reason Mike Ellis soon left and as I said was very much involved initially with ARV because his expertise was sought. I doubt and I don't have privy information but I imagine he was, despite the title, a hired employee of ARV and that there was no ownership or partnership involved. He was there from April to August, 2012 and produced their first two videos and newsletters. Why he left ARV is unknown to me. As far as I know he is still in Canada and his company and website is in my last correspondence...

http://www.ellis-sanchez.com/ Videography, Editing | Sales Process Training | Internet Response Based Relationship Building | email Marketing / Newsletter Development | Contact Building Industries: Auto | Recreational Vehicles | Real Estate | Retail

I just checked. It is still a viable web site. It seems to me Mike Ellis was marketing what maybe a startup company needs and he was out of a job at GWVans because of the ownership transition. So put two and two together.

The the point is all the best things about GWVan were developed by the original founding owner, Martin Geurts and the improvements you have enjoyed over my GWVan built just two months before Mike N's were made by Mike N at the original factory under the original owner. The new owner's achievement was to manage bankrupting the company in short order.

Nimpoc

Enginerd in wander
I have a supply and return line from factory D5/radiator running to isolation valves, then into a thermostatic Espar valve, which allows the engine coolant to pass to my heating loop if above ~150F. My installed heating D5 is also connected at this valve, so if it's on or the engine water temp is hot, either proceeds to the Isotemp heat exchanger and heats up the water inside. Otherwise they loop until hot enough to pass. I then have a 12vdc control valve wired to a switch inside the van that powers my heating system, which means fan coils, supplementary heating water pump and fan coil fans (all 12vdc powered). If the switch is on, the valve opens and allows the hot water to pass from the IsoTemp heat exchanger up into the van to the fan coil loop. Otherwise this hot water stays below the van. When the switch is on, it also powers a small 12vdc coolant pump to further help circulate the hot water thru the fan coils and their plumbing loop from IsoTemp thru them and back down. This pump is inside the van and likely unnecessary since the heating D5 has a likely adequately sized pump but I add this supplementary one since I could not find any specs of how much head the D5 pump could push against. The switch then powers the two fan speed controllers for each of the fan coils. I also have temp sensors and monitor on my supply and return from D5/engine, as well as heating loop and domestic hot water supply so I can see all four of these temps in addition to exterior and interior temp sensor/monitors.

...As a note, because my heating system is connected to the engine coolant loop, I installed a coolant specific check valve on my supply from engine to my heating loop to provide some restriction of my heating loop heat to the engine yet to also allow only my higher pressure heating loop water to pass but to limit the return and hence flow thru so I am not heating my engine block except when my system is really hot and only minimally to keep most or all of the heating D5 for space & potable water heating. The heating thermostatic valve also prevents engine water from returning if below 150. However, this configuration allows expanding water to reach the van coolant expansion tank and while the engine or factory D5 are running, to purge the system of air and equalize the pressure of the two systems. This provides for my heating system expansion tank. I also installed a coolant system air release valve...
Could you please share the PNs for the following?
- 12v control valve
- Coolant specific check valve
- Air bleed valve
- Booster pump

I’ve been looking for automotive coolant system parts that would be easy to adapt to a system like this, and either just find junk, or in the case of the 12v valve, CAN / PWM based parts that are too much work to control at this point.

For a pump, it seems there are good solutions on eBay like this:

I’d like the control valve to initial just be wired to the 12v accessory power, so when I key on, it joins the House glycol loop to the engine. Key off, and it’s divorced.

JaxMan

Is this a sealed system?, no expansion tank?
Hi George...thanks for sharing all of this information. Do you have a complete schematic for your system? I've seen the basic concept of your system but wondered if you had ever mapped out the entire system? Do you have a complete parts list? I like the idea of the d2 to heat the cabin while the D5 heats the water and keeps all the tanks from freezing. What you've done seems like a near perfect solution. Thanks for your help!

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Hi George...thanks for sharing all of this information. Do you have a complete schematic for your system? I've seen the basic concept of your system but wondered if you had ever mapped out the entire system? Do you have a complete parts list? I like the idea of the d2 to heat the cabin while the D5 heats the water and keeps all the tanks from freezing. What you've done seems like a near perfect solution. Thanks for your help!
You will find more details and implementation struggles in this thread https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/21773/

Overflow tank is fully custom, can share drawings or get one from Rixen. One of key little gadgets which make life easier was air purging device, a small piece of brass with a thumbscrew valve.
1-Water heating.jpgGR020705 with sign.jpg1-Water heating.jpgGR020705 with sign.jpgGR140868.jpgPlumbing fres water heater.jpg

JaxMan

Wow...thanks George this is super helpful. And if you don't mind sharing the specs for your custom expansion tank...I've got a client who could build it for me. What you've designed just looks super slick.

DugVan

I have been looking for the connection points for the Sprinter for ages - thank you for the pictures. Could you possibly share a pic of the other connection, and identify the flow direction please.
I was advised to cut into the short 90 degree elbow on the drivers side. I’m not sure of the direction of flow. I removed the elbow from the tee. I used a 160 degree hose fitting from the tee to one side of the heat exchanger and used one of the Rixen supplied 90 degree hose between the fire wall and the other side of the heat exchanger.
pics to follow.

Attachments

hilld

I was advised to cut into the short 90 degree elbow on the drivers side. I’m not sure of the direction of flow. I removed the elbow from the tee. I used a 160 degree hose fitting from the tee to one side of the heat exchanger and used one of the Rixen supplied 90 degree hose between the fire wall and the other side of the heat exchanger.
pics to follow.
Thanks for the detailed pics, much appreciated.

Motormad

pics to follow.
Fantastic, thank you.

I notice in one of the photos the Espar unit and heat exchanger. Is the Espar on the same circuit as the engine coolant and the heat exchanger then separates that from the conversion, or is the heat exchanger separating the engine circuit from the domestic circuit that has the Espar in it? Would be great to see a schematic, and your view on the effectiveness of the engine heating of domestic water, and Espar heating of the engine.

I am also guessing from the cleanness of the engine bay that this is on a VS30 variant? If so, how have you linked to the van's ventilation system electrically?

Top Bottom