Paint Discoloration

Narwhal

I just purchased a Calcite Yellow NCV3 (2016). I'm the second owner after an MB dealer, who had it for a year. After we brought it home and gave it a wash we noticed several spots that are discolored. They look like they've bleached out and they have a slightly different finish (rain doesn't bead up as much on the spots). There are spots like this all over the vehicle, everywhere except the roof. Maybe 20 spots total.

The dealer we bought it from says he didn't do any paint touchups, and we believe him.

Has anyone else ever seen this problem? Any ideas what might be causing it?

As you can see from the photo, it's subtle, so I'm not surprised the dealer didn't notice them, but they are definitely there.

Attachments

Bob Laps

I have a 2017 in black that I bought new....I have some spots like that... I brought it to an auto body place and the guy used some 3M stuff and it fixed it...took 30 seconds....he showed me exactly what it was so I can do the rest of the spots....I haven't gotten to it due to winter but I can dig up the exact stuff if ur interested

Bob

Bob Laps

It was 3M 36060.... He literally rubbed it on the spot probably the size of my hand for maybe 30 seconds....then buffed it off with a micro fiber and then sprayed some mcguires quick wax (or quick detailer I forget) and buffed that and it was gone

He said it was from who fixed a scratch or something and didn't buff it out enough...I thought it was the dealer but after seeing urs maybe it was done at the re assembly plant...hope that helps

Bob

Narwhal

Just wanted to report back: it turns out it was a factory defect with the paint, (not sure what kind of defect) and as such, was covered under warranty. It took some shenanigans with our local dealer to do the fix, but they eventually repainted the panels with discoloration.

H

hmbltn

Just wanted to report back: it turns out it was a factory defect with the paint, (not sure what kind of defect) and as such, was covered under warranty. It took some shenanigans with our local dealer to do the fix, but they eventually repainted the panels with discoloration.
I have a similar issue with the paint on my brand new '17 Graphite Grey Sprinter. I think I may make a stop by the dealer to have them look at it. There are spots on the side panels that look like someone tried to touch up the paint and did a horrible job.

Top Bottom