"A" service errors..!!!

Classic Marine

I just returned from my first/A service a MB North Palm Beach.
I added a fuel filter to this service.
When I picked up the van I noticed they did not rotate the tires which I had talked to the service writer to make sure that an A service included the rotation......it does.
The service writer got the tech to meet with me I asked him if he rotated the tires during the service that I paid almost 800.00 for?
The tech replies with his foot leaning on the wall and his hands in his pockets the tires are in their optimum location no rotation required.
The van has 10,000 miles who is he to decide if the tires need rotation...???
I guess he knows better than MB service schedule.
I called the service manager and the general manager I am sure I kicked the ant pile ...but it won't help a thing.
I want a refund...how do I know they did anything else that is on the A service list ??
My rating of this dealers service center is maybe 2 out of 100.
I totally love my Sprinter but can't stand the service options.

T.J.T

Phone MB USA? I agree service is frustrating, techs cutting corners but charging a premium. Its a sad world but I get this with my wifes VW all the time as well.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Was your $800 for an "A Service" package, or line-itemed for each sub-step?

If it was for the package, then you have a *really* good case against the dealer with MB USA

Since you noticed that the rotation wasn't done, i have to assume that you were line-itemed.

Since i do my own servicing, and am moderately lazy, i have not been rotating my tires.
I figure that cost me about 10,000 miles of life on one pair of the set
(the front wheels wore rapidly, the rear fairly lightly... if i had rotated, the wear would've been distributed evenly)

--dick

SOLBRTs

There is at least one thread discussing early outside front tire wear on lightly loaded vans. It is a known issue as the factory camber is based in the assumption that the van will loaded. If the tires are not rotated, on schedule, MB WILL NOT cover the early replacement of tires even if the tech said no rotation necessary. Go back and tell the dealer to rotate them.

Classic Marine

There is at least one thread discussing early outside front tire wear on lightly loaded vans. It is a known issue as the factory camber is based in the assumption that the van will loaded. If the tires are not rotated, on schedule, MB WILL NOT cover the early replacement of tires even if the tech said no rotation necessary. Go back and tell the dealer to rotate them.
That is a good advise I REALLY do not want them to have their hands on it again.
They black flagged the tech for not rotating the tires like he should have.
I am in a tough spot take it back to let them make it right or move on do it somewhere else then keep the receipt.
Not sure yet ???
The service manager wants it back to rotate the tires.
Any thoughts...?

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Fair monetary charges and treatment

I just returned from my first/A service a MB North Palm Beach.
fuel filter, rotate the tires, A service

I totally love my Sprinter but can't stand the service options.
Sorry. Been there hated it, fixed it, here's how:
If you paid with a credit card, call and contest the charges, that buys you at least a month and will let the dealership know you did not enjoy their disrespect for you or your Sprinter.
If any dealer can not perform these basic service items, do not ever go back, post a review here.
Find a dealer who cares, have them check it over for you and wrestle with MB.

If you were to go up to Melbourne like I did, you probably won't get any better from their service department. I did my A service at about 11,000 miles. Didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from them. They weren't even close to what you paid, but don't recall the final bill. One thing I asked them was to not do the DEF fluid, as I had that done on own. They gouge you big time for that part of the 'A' service.

Sure, they feed you a made to order sandwich, good coffee, wi-fi, and thoroughly wash your van. I could do without that nonsense. Anyways, small issue that I did not get a complete answer from them, and the owner of the dealership sends me a letter, saying that he regrets that their salesman was not able to come to agreement on terms for a new vehicle purchase, which was bizarre. I had no discussions with their sales people whatsoever. A little disconnected there, in my opinion.

I'm in Port St Lucie, so North Palm Beach would be closer to me. I wasn't aware of Sprinter service at that location. At this point, I only have 14,500 miles, so looking for some alternative to these Mercedes happy face service departments. The plumbers that I have used at my house drive Sprinters. They mentioned some place up in Ft Pierce, on U.S. 1, but I have not looked into this yet.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
That is a good advise I REALLY do not want them to have their hands on it again.
I am in a tough spot take it back to let them make it right or move on do it somewhere else then keep the receipt.
Not sure yet ???
Any thoughts...?
Despite your misgivings (very understandable) about taking your van back to that dealer, I would do it to satisfy the warranty requirements, then look elsewhere for subsequent servicing.

Rotating tires is not 'rocket science', just difficult if you don't have a hoist & the tools. The only 'caveat' is to make sure that they torque the wheel bolts using a hand torque wrench, or a calibrated attachment to a non-impact air gun. Then, after some driving (100 mi?), check the torque on each bolt. IIRC, that should be 140 ft-lbs, but check the specs to make sure.

HTH

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
dealers service that sucks will continue to suck

Despite your misgivings (very understandable) about taking your van back to that dealer, I would do it to satisfy the warranty requirements, then look elsewhere for subsequent servicing.

Rotating tires is not 'rocket science', just difficult if you don't have a hoist & the tools. The only 'caveat' is to make sure that they torque the wheel bolts using a hand torque wrench, or a calibrated attachment to a non-impact air gun. Then, after some driving (100 mi?), check the torque on each bolt. IIRC, that should be 140 ft-lbs, but check the specs to make sure.

HTH
No disrespect HTH but:
When someone makes simple into complicated they disqualify themselves from getting a 2nd shot at again doing it wrong and more importantly collateral damage.

SOLBRTs

Not sure yet ???
Any thoughts...?
FWIW I am an ex OEM corp manager. If the service manager is making the effort to rectify situation I would give him the benefit of the doubt. In addition, legally
you are responsible for giving the dealer the opportunity to rectify. Worst case - tires are rotated, you have satisfied the warranty requirements and you look for a new dealer. Best case the service manager turns out to be a hard working guy just like you who takes responsibility for his staff's work and you have satisfied the warranty requirements. It's not that there won't be issues is how a good manager handles them when they arise. When was at the dealer level, often my best customers would end up being the ones for whom I could solve a problem. (And also remember it's damn hard to find good employees these days....)

Ivessm

2014 Long/Tall BLACK Pass 4Cyl/7sp
Ref rotating tires. I have my 2nd set of tires on my 2005 144 Passenger Sprinter with 120K miles on it now. I put new tires on at 80K miles. I went with the Michelin LTX tires and special ordered them from SAMS Club. For $15/tire they included balancing & mounting as well as free balancing and tire rotation and flat repair for the life of the tire. I go back in every 10,000 miles and they balance and rotate the tires as I watch from the customer area. Great service and well worth the price of the tires. I've been back 4 times so far and had 2 punctures repaired as part of this service. Even had a puncture repaired at a distant Sams club while I was on the road.

Top Bottom