Oh dear.........a mouse in the drawer

cruzincooper

2015 24G View 'Lindy'
Our 24G 2015 Mercedes Sprinter RV is stored outside under a canopy. This is the second winter and when winterizing it, I discovered a mouse had been in one of the drawers. How did he get in? Good question, I thought the RV was air tight.

The only place I can think of it getting in is in the Mercedes console where the cigarette lighter is the pull out came out and we have been unable to reinsert it. So I noticed there is a hole behind where the cigarette lighter is where the wires go in. Is it possible that he came in there?

I'm not aware of any other place to look. We also have a 23 foot trailer which did have a few possible open places that we filled.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cruzincooper

Benagami

There are hundreds of places they can get in. They can do a tremendous amount of damage if they chew electrical wires, so you need be vigilant about deterring or eliminating them. I drip peppermint oil onto cotton balls and distribute them throughout the coach and under/inside cabinets. I also put out mouse traps. Without the peppermint oil I was killing 8 mice per winter. With the peppermint oil that number dropped to 1 or 2.

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
I have a '17J, and found my first mouse inside last winter. I keep it in a building most times, but was negligent in keeping the power cord area sealed. If you have your unit plugged in, they can climb up the cord and into that compartment. And on mine at least, there are easy routes to get into motorhome.

FWIW, those electronic repellers seem to have worked well for me also.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There is a pair of louvered air vents hidden at the lower rear quarters of the Sprinter:

RearVentDpillarNCV3.jpg

(note rear door hinge in photo)

This photo doesn't show the plastic/rubber louver that normally fills the hole.

--dick

cruzincooper

2015 24G View 'Lindy'
Thank you for all the tips. We will continue...….we did put several mouse traps and someone suggested Bounce fabric softeners (they walked right over it to get the peanut butter on the mouse trap and got him!

Benagami

Dryer sheets don't work. I'm still finding them from the previous owner. They filled my camper with dryer sheets and the mice proceeded to nest everywhere. They ate through the wiring for the air conditioning. Now everything is fixed and the peppermint oil has been working... so far.

Hooligan2

Found mouse nest in engine airbox when changing air filter. Since using "Fresh Cab" no sign of mice. They did chew tailight wires completely on prior RV. Wiring insulation made from soy oil. Tasty..

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
My rig is stored outdoors, on asphalt, not under cover. I put bait traps on top of the tires (I know, I know, inhumane) and an open mothball container inside. Never a sign of mice after 7 Winters of storage.

Traveler4Life

We have used "Fresh Cab" for 5+ years with very good results. I place the "fragrant" pouches in the engine compartment, electrical/water access compartment, under the sinks, and inside the furnace access. I make a list of locations so I don't miss taking any out in the spring.

About halfway through the winter I roll each pouch in my hand to crush the ingredients inside and release more of the fragrance and then put them back in place.

I still use a few mouse traps as a back-up but have not caught any nor seen any signs at all of mice since using the Fresh Cab.

We purchase new Fresh Cab once a year at the local farm supply store.

More Info https://www.google.com/search?q=Fre...Ud8KHeziB-AQ_AUIDCgA&biw=1689&bih=881&dpr=1.5

Take care, Safe Travels

Last edited:

My 2nd Sprinter

We've had 2 sprinter RVs. A 2007 Pleasure Way and now a 2017 Navion. Been moused in both even though we had the anti-mouse treatment applied to the Navion by the dealer.

Best counter measures we've found so far is empty tin cans filled with rags soaked in ammonia and left throughout the interior. We also sprinkle "Comet" cleanser around the exterior on the ground. So far so good!

Top Bottom