Roadtreks Toilet system..

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Hello fellow Roadtrekkers..

A silly question about the waste system in/on our 2010 Roadtrek Agile.

The macerator is to pulverize solid contents, right?, but when you open the black or grey gate valve in order to macerate contents also go into the large drain pipe ?, We noticed that the large PVC pipe gets filled more often than before: does this mean that the gate valve is leaking due it cannot be shut properly? Kind of annoying that we on occasion see drips in parking lots or campground floors from the PVC drain pipe.

We of course always open the black valve first; drain; close..open the grey valve; drain to clean, but they also fill the PVC pipe thus not all is macerated and expelled.

cheers...

RT.SS

Hi Mein, the sewer drain pipes are water tight and should not leak even with both of the waste gate valves are open. Where exactly the leak is coming from? Check the clean out plug if it’s closed tight. Another common source of leak is around the gate valve gasket fitting, maybe tightening the 4 mounting bolts a little should seal it, do not overtighten otherwise you’ll crack the casing.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Hi Mein, the sewer drain pipes are water tight and should not leak even with both of the waste gate valves are open. Where exactly the leak is coming from? Check the clean out plug if it’s closed tight. Another common source of leak is around the gate valve gasket fitting, maybe tightening the 4 mounting bolts a little should seal it, do not overtighten otherwise you’ll crack the casing.
Thank you RT.SS. Clean out plug ? where is it located. Excuse my :bash::bash:.

Thank you

Cheers...

Knit

The clean out plug is near the junction of the grey and black water just upstream from the macerator pump. I had the pleasure to use it once on my 2013 RS when the macerator died.

Here are some Agile pictures from the 2013 Roadtrek manual that covered both the RS and SS Agile. My guess is that it was the same for 2010, but I don’t know that for sure.

Last edited:

Mein Sprinter

Known member
The clean out plug is near the junction of the grey and black water just upstream from the macerator pump. I had the pleasure to use it once on my 2013 RS when the macerator died.

Here are some Agile pictures from the 2013 Roadtrek manual that covered both the RS and SS Agile. My guess is that it was the same for 2010, but I don’t know that for sure.
Went underneath it using some road/grassy divot as our Agile's apron is so low and my chest is too high :idunno:. Reached the macerator area and didn't find such a clean out plug. Maybe the 2010s don't have it. Pain to see sewage filling drain pipe filling while the macerator pump pumps nothing.

cheers...

Last edited:

BobLLL

Hello fellow Roadtrekkers..

A silly question about the waste system in/on our 2010 Roadtrek Agile.

The macerator is to pulverize solid contents, right?, but when you open the black or grey gate valve in order to macerate contents also go into the large drain pipe ?, We noticed that the large PVC pipe gets filled more often than before: does this mean that the gate valve is leaking due it cannot be shut properly? Kind of annoying that we on occasion see drips in parking lots or campground floors from the PVC drain pipe.

We of course always open the black valve first; drain; close..open the grey valve; drain to clean, but they also fill the PVC pipe thus not all is macerated and expelled.

cheers...
What exactly do you mean by the "large PVC drain pipe"?

Mein Sprinter

Known member
What exactly do you mean by the "large PVC drain pipe"?
BobLLL....Sorry for my poor English!

It's the sewer drain pipes that's made of 2" rigid PVC piping and exits on my Agile in the rear right side(near the rear tire) of the passenger side. The flexible "green" macerator hose is on the left side on the driver side.

The "rigid drain pipe" is capped shut (can be opened if desired), but is always full even when the black/gray levers are even shut tight.

As I said there's no visible observation of a 2" Clean out plug. Must I remove the macerator SS cover to see it?

cheers...

BobLLL

Nothing wrong with your English. It is just a question of terminology. Look again at the photo Knit posted, "Picture G-P12". If that is what you see on the right side of your van, and if you are turning that thing with the square block to unscrew it, that is the "clean out plug." It is intended to provide some access to clear any material that may be clogging the pipe. Yes, there will usually be some liquid that comes out. And usually some liquid standing in the black tank, if you look down into the tank via the toilet. The macerator pump does not clear every bit of liquid, because there is not enough slope for gravity to carry the last bit of liquid from the black tank to the macerator. However, if you are getting gallons of liquid when you remove that plug, something is wrong.

And if liquid is dripping out anywhere, something is wrong. Look for the source of the drip. Maybe a crack in a pipe or a joint that is not tight.

Good luck.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Nothing wrong with your English. It is just a question of terminology. Look again at the photo Knit posted, "Picture G-P12". If that is what you see on the right side of your van, and if you are turning that thing with the square block to unscrew it, that is the "clean out plug." It is intended to provide some access to clear any material that may be clogging the pipe. Yes, there will usually be some liquid that comes out. And usually some liquid standing in the black tank, if you look down into the tank via the toilet. The macerator pump does not clear every bit of liquid, because there is not enough slope for gravity to carry the last bit of liquid from the black tank to the macerator. However, if you are getting gallons of liquid when you remove that plug, something is wrong.

And if liquid is dripping out anywhere, something is wrong. Look for the source of the drip. Maybe a crack in a pipe or a joint that is not tight.

Good luck.
Thank you BobLLL. Guess will have to do when I get home and somehow make a board ramp for me to access the underneath.

Now, RT.SS mentioned this, "the sewer drain pipes are water tight and should not leak even with both of the waste gate valves are open.". So the drain pipe is used when the macerator malfunctions or you just want to empty the tank faster using a 2" hose attached?

Probably have to take the gate valves apart and see if some grit has lodged within the sealing area.

Again many thanks.... never had this problem for thousand of miles until somewhere on the island of Haida Gwaii, BC. In Seattle, WA now.

cheers...

BobLLL

Yes, the purpose is two-fold: To be able to drain the tanks if the macerator fails, and to possibly remove material that has blocked the flow to the macerator. Hence the term "cleanout". These access points are common in residential waste plumbing, and required by building codes. You will find them in the basement or crawl space of properly plumbed houses. If you lose that plug, and go into Home Depot and say "I need a 2 inch drain pipe cleanout plug" they will know exactly what you mean.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-ABS-DWV-MIPT-Cleanout-Plug-C5818HD2/100344835

Top Bottom