Injector cleaning

Burkilimo

Hi - couldn’t find any write up on a NCV3 injector cleaning. I wanted to use liqui moly diesel purge - hooking it upto the feed line going to the high pressure pump and disconnecting the fuel pump by pulling the fuse. I could pour the liqui moly into the filter as an alternative- Thoughts

Burkilimo

Are you having problems with one of your injectors Why are you doing this?
Think the injectors are fouled - smooth idle but no power after 3k rpm. Opened and cleaned one injector - and it made a difference- but I’d like to run an injector cleaner before I do it to the other 5

Burkilimo

Try using BG244 or BG245.
I didn’t want to add it to the fuel - but actually run it straight through the injectors- what I’m thinking of is getting one of those fuel injector cleaner kits from amazon. Pouring the cleaner into the steel container, pressuring it to 60psi, connecting it to the return line going to the high pressure, disconnecting the fuel pump fuse and then running the van. Only thing is that I have no way of knowing how long it will run on 500ml of diesel cleaner before it airlocks. Those were my thoughts
https://www.amazon.com/BOYU-****AI-...s=c100+injector+cleaner&qid=1579792512&sr=8-9

Last edited:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
If you have a smooth running engine that lacks power at mid/high RPM, there are a whole lot of more likely suspects than plugged injectors.
A better approach would be to get it scanned with an appropriate scanner and identify the actual problem.
That said, on the advice of Dennis (Linden) I use a can of BG 245 every 10k miles. It certainly wouldn't hurt, in your case. You could try a can, just filling to half a tank, so that the dosing is doubled.

Burkilimo

If you have a smooth running engine that lacks power at mid/high RPM, there are a whole lot of more likely suspects than plugged injectors.
A better approach would be to get it scanned with an appropriate scanner and identify the actual problem.
That said, on the advice of Dennis (Linden) I use a can of BG 245 every 10k miles. It certainly wouldn't hurt, in your case. You could try a can, just filling to half a tank, so that the dosing is doubled.
Scanner show a dead cylinder - which I know is not the case
Ran gasoline in the tank and the first Injector was pretty messed up - I had to open the injector itself and spray carb cleaner in the nozzle just to get a spray pattern - it did the job and retightened it. That smoothed out the hiccuping it had only with one injector cleaned. Before I pull out the rest - I wanted to give mechanic in a can a shot.

Attachments

Last edited:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Scanner show a dead cylinder - which I know is not the case
Ran gasoline in the tank and the first Injector was pretty messed up - I had to open the injector itself and spray carb cleaner in the nozzle just to get a spray pattern - it did the job and retightened it. That smoothed out the hiccuping it had only with one injector cleaned. Before I pull out the rest - I wanted to give mechanic in a can a shot.
If you ran gasoline in your tank, you will likely have to replace your injectors, at a minimum.
Likely to be other damage as well.
As far as "Mechanic in a can", the BG245 is effective and easy to use.

Burkilimo

If you ran gasoline in your tank, you will likely have to replace your injectors, at a minimum.
Likely to be other damage as well.
As far as "Mechanic in a can", the BG245 is effective and easy to use.
Oh definitely ran it - and ran it good. Ran it till the van crawled back to the shop! Only serviced one injector and it made a huge diff - so figured I’ll do the purge in a can clean before I pull them all out - no write ups in how to do that for a NCV3

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
With electrical prime pumps - doing a purge gets complicated.
You'd have to disable the electric pump for fuel hoses disconnection.
Hoses lately have special clamps, what increase difficulty.
Than who knows how the high-pressure pump will work without initial pressure.
Do the BG

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Oh definitely ran it - and ran it good. Ran it till the van crawled back to the shop! Only serviced one injector and it made a huge diff - so figured I’ll do the purge in a can clean before I pull them all out - no write ups in how to do that for a NCV3
The advantage of BG245 is that you simply add it to the tank, mix it by putting fuel in, and drive. If it is just deposits in the injectors, it will clean them out.
To give it the best chance for success, consider putting it in, and only filling the tank half full. That would give twice the dosage in half the time.
But my understanding is that gasoline doesn't just clog diesel injectors. It galls them, from lack of lubricity.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I accidently add gas to my Ford diesel with no ill effect. Only start took a bit longer.
I think if OP has clog injectors after gas treatment, it is the gunk gas dissolved from bottom of the tank.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I accidently add gas to my Ford diesel with no ill effect. Only start took a bit longer.
I think if OP has clog injectors after gas treatment, it is the gunk gas dissolved from bottom of the tank.
Percentage of gasoline and miles driven with improper fuel make a big difference here.
You can do thousands of dollars worth of damage by misfueling.

Burkilimo

Percentage of gasoline and miles driven with improper fuel make a big difference here.
You can do thousands of dollars worth of damage by misfueling.
One of the drivers added DEF to the 6.7 - so been down that path! On the sprinter - cleaned the tank and blew the lines. Took out the DPF - overhauled one injector - now I’ve ordered the amazon kit. Will post results after I do the Frankenstein hookup. If anyone has done this let me know.
I don’t want to do the add to fuel route - because I know what that injector was like when I took it out. If anything adding it directly to the filter was the 2nd best option- but I’m going for broke on this

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
One of the drivers added DEF to the 6.7 - so been down that path! On the sprinter - cleaned the tank and blew the lines. Took out the DPF - overhauled one injector - now I’ve ordered the amazon kit. Will post results after I do the Frankenstein hookup. If anyone has done this let me know.
I don’t want to do the add to fuel route - because I know what that injector was like when I took it out. If anything adding it directly to the filter was the 2nd best option- but I’m going for broke on this
Good luck. I fear you are going to need it.

jtheiny

I like the adding of liqui moly directly to the fuel filter approach. Preventive maintenance while installing new fuel filter. Easy breezy! Can anybody chime in as to possible negatives to this?
Thanks!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Diesel purge is designed to run in closed fuel loop till it runs out, what last for several minutes.
If you put it into filter only, that will last only for few seconds and the purge will end in the tank.
Not only you will loose the cleaning effect, but who knows why manufacturers don't want the stuff in tanks?

Burkilimo

Diesel purge is designed to run in closed fuel loop till it runs out, what last for several minutes.
If you put it into filter only, that will last only for few seconds and the purge will end in the tank.
Not only you will loose the cleaning effect, but who knows why manufacturers don't want the stuff in tanks?
If one puts it into the filter - disconnect the low pressure fuel pump - will the purge not go through the high pressure pump- the rails - and the injector till it runs out?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Diesel fuel "recirculate" in the system, some of it goes back to the tank from pressure regulator, some from leak lines.
That is why for proper purge you need to disconnect both hoses and run them into a jar.

Top Bottom