W907 water in motor

sanomechanic

Condensation build up in the inter cooler causing an engine to hydro lock.....COM ON MAN Sucking water in to the air inlet by driving though deep water sure. That's not the vans fault.

Taylor Marine

Condensation build up in the inter cooler causing an engine to hydro lock.....COM ON MAN Sucking water in to the air inlet by driving though deep water sure. That's not the vans fault.
Have yet to see a sprinter driving in 5 feet of water.... Like water would have to be to the top of the grill... At least on my OM642 the air cleaner intake is a good 40" above the road surface.

b6 again

My van hydro locked due to "condensation". Not sure how this happened. The van was sitting for 6 days with snow on it. The cylinders filled with water...you know the rest.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Quick test if anyone ever reads this and wants to know the root cause at the time of failure...

Pull the air filter, if the element is wet and soggy then water has been sucked in through the air intake. If the element is dry then the cause is condensation as suggested previously and is a result of poor design.

bluewander

My van hydro locked due to "condensation". Not sure how this happened. The van was sitting for 6 days with snow on it. The cylinders filled with water...you know the rest.
This is a known issue with the intercooler that happens in some circumstances. Happened to me last year and had the engine replaced....at a whopping 3k miles on it.

AnnaSv

This problem happened to me last week, I will be getting a new engine under warranty. ( Sprinter 910 417 2.1 FWD MY-21 13000Km)
The diagnosis said the injector on cylinder two failed.
Whether the moisture comes from the intercooler or the distributor fed the cylinder incorrectly, causing the connecting rod to bend, no one knows.

The question is, do you get a new warranty period on the new engine?

WolfgangK

In Germany there is an actual recall for VS30 Sprinters (VS3LADKOO, Code 5093005). A plastic parts is removed to avoid this condensation in the intercooler (albeit I have some concerns that this really solves the problem...)

Here you see the removed part: https://ibb.co/Drq9wTS

AnnaSv

This problem happened to me last week, I will be getting a new engine under warranty. ( Sprinter 910 417 2.1 FWD MY-21 13000Km)
The diagnosis said the injector on cylinder two failed.
Whether the moisture comes from the intercooler or the distributor fed the cylinder incorrectly, causing the connecting rod to bend, no one knows.

The question is, do you get a new warranty period on the new engine?
New engine arrived at the garage to be replaced as soon as possible.
How can I check that they put in an engine with the same performance as before?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
If it's really bothering you, you could take the airbox off (only a few connections to undo), then remove the large black cover underneath. Then you will be able to see the motor, there will be stickers / part number that will confirm what motor type it is.

Or go and take a look before it goes in of course.

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Have yet to see a sprinter driving in 5 feet of water.... Like water would have to be to the top of the grill... At least on my OM642 the air cleaner intake is a good 40" above the road surface.
Don't anyone think for a moment that their factory ride height Sprinter will excel at negotiating standing water. The reality is the opposite: they're not at all good at it, a characteristic usually compounded by poor driver technique.

Have a look at Rufford Ford on YT. It's a short section of occasionally flooding road that was claiming lots of engines - notably high Sprinter count - on an almost weekly basis until the local council recently closed it to though traffic.

Last edited:

dmb496

Don't know if you're serious or speaking tongue-in-cheek.

Diesel engines typically have a very high compression ratio, the OM642 has an 18:1 ratio. Attached are photos of my 6.0 Powerstroke diesel engine. It also has an 18:1 compression ratio. Note the piston standing .028" above the engine block. Then note the flat surface of the head. In that an engine cannot compress liquid, I'll guess a very small amount of water will hydrolock a single cylinder in a diesel.

P1040952.JPGP1040928.JPGP1040769.JPG

AnnaSv

In my case, the new engine has arrived and been installed.
The mechanic told me there was no fluid in the AC system when he was draining so he pressure tested the AC system but could not find a leak.
Strange I think but I need to get this documented in case it happens again.
20230117_115227.jpgIMG_3345.jpg

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
My newer sprinter had its engine replace under warranty.... Intercooler accumulated oil and water bent a rod on and bent some blades on the turbo.

New engine, intercooler and one new lower intercooler hose all under warranty.

It failed on startup on a cold night. On crank it tried to start and failed which was weird. It started the second or third time but didn't sound right, a low speed miss that got worse over next 30 minutes.

Dropped it at dealership next morning it took about a month to get it diagnosed approved and replaced.

From the service report:

26696 VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN FOR ENGINE IS MISFIRING. PERFORMED
QUICK TEST AND FOUND CODE FOR CYL 6 MISFIRE. PERFORMED GUIDED TESTING
FOR P3004C6 Combustion misfiring of cylinder 6 has been detected.
PERFORMED QUANTITY OF SMOOTH RUNNING AND CYL 6 RAISED DRASTICALLY FAST.
REPLACED CYLINDER 6 INJECTOR AND PERFORMED MANUAL REGENERATION OF DPF
DUE TO HIGH FILL VALUES. TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND AFTER A FEW MILES CODE
RETURNED FOR CYL 6 MISFIRE. PERFORMED LI DOCUMENT LI03.10-N-071148.
THIS IS PERTAINING TO CONDENSATION IN CHARGE AIR SYSTEM. STEP 1 WAS TO
REMOVE CHARGE AIR HOSES AND CHECK FOR CONDENSATION, FOUND THICK SLUDGE
OF OIL AND WATER MIXTURE IN HOSES AND IN INTER COOLER. NEXT WAS TO
CHECK AIR FILTER HOUSING FOR ANY INGRESSED FLUID WHICH WAS NOT NOTICED
IN AIR FILTER OR HOUSING. PERFORMED COMPRESSION TEST WITH SDS.
PERFORMED A FEW TIMES AND NOTICED SPEED VARIATION. THUS NEXT PERFORMING
COMPRESSION WITH COMPRESSION PRESSURE RECORDER, TO DO THIS GLOW PLUGS
WERE REMOVED. CHECKED EACH CYL 1-6 AND FOUND CYL 6 AROUND 21 BAR
COMPARE TO ALL OTHER CYL AROUND 28 BAR AVG. NEXT WAS TO REMOVED FUEL
INJECTOR ON ALL 6 CYL TO PERFORM PISTON HEIGHT. FOUND CYL 6 TO BE LOWER
THEN ALL OTHER OTHER THUS CONFIRMING BENT PISTON ROD. DUE TO THIS
FINDING LI STATES TO REPLACE MOTOR ASSEMBLY. COMPLETED REPLACEMENT OF
MOTOR ASSEMBLY AND REINSTALLED FOLLOWING PROCEDURE ANDS REPLACING ALL
NECESSARY SEALS AND O RINGS. DUE TO THE CONDENSATION FOUND IN THE INTER
COOLER AND NOT PROPER PROCEDURE TO REMOVE REPLACE INTER COOLER AND
HOSES WITH UPDATED PART NUMBER FOR PROPER COMPLETION AND TO PREVENT
CONCERN FROM HAPPENING. PERFORMED INJECTOR TEACH IN AND ALL OTHER TEACH