2020 Release Delayed

sanomechanic

Got a phone call today. The West Coast regional manager confirmed ALL 2020 Sprinters both diesel and gas are scheduled in late April - early May for the 50 state emissions certification testing. That until this certification process is completed. All Sprinters will be delayed for release.

He says we can thank VW Audi for the past scandal creating this delay.

Michlb

Mercedes had irregularities with EPA and German authorities as well, but maybe not quite as blatant as Audi/VW. I used to have the last M class Diesel with the 4 cylinder engine, which I think is the same or similar than what was used in the Sprinter at some point as well. Loved that engine in the SUV. Mercedes discontinued it after the Audi/VW scandal broke. Hope this will not happen with Sprinter Diesel.

The part that I don’t understand is that you see so many Diesel Heavy Duty pickups on the road that emit soot in great quantity. You can literally see it. How come they don’t have any issues? And the Diesel vehicles that were affected by the Defeat Device scandal were small cars after all, which were sold to directly compete with Hybrids like the Prius. You would think that a commercial vehicle like the Sprinter should be exempt from some of the rigorous standards that apply to cars.

sanomechanic

Mercedes had irregularities with EPA and German authorities as well, but maybe not quite as blatant as Audi/VW. I used to have the last M class Diesel with the 4 cylinder engine, which I think is the same or similar than what was used in the Sprinter at some point as well. Loved that engine in the SUV. Mercedes discontinued it after the Audi/VW scandal broke. Hope this will not happen with Sprinter Diesel.

The part that I don’t understand is that you see so many Diesel Heavy Duty pickups on the road that emit soot in great quantity. You can literally see it. How come they don’t have any issues? And the Diesel vehicles that were affected by the Defeat Device scandal were small cars after all, which were sold to directly compete with Hybrids like the Prius. You would think that a commercial vehicle like the Sprinter should be exempt from some of the rigorous standards that apply to cars.
I'm surprised California even allowed Sprinters be sold for non commercial purposes. I know there are many forces trying to block future vehicles that operate from fossil fuels altogether

aviatordoc

Sano, its not too late. Find one already at the dealer that you can live with.
At this rate, you will still be bitchin about it in 2022. :)
MB is doing away with diesels. The writing is on the wall.

sanomechanic

Sano, its not too late. Find one already at the dealer that you can live with.
At this rate, you will still be bitchin about it in 2022. :)
MB is doing away with diesels. The writing is on the wall.
I bought a van 2 weeks ago. I'm all good. Just posting the news

Top Bottom