T21 Emissions Recall Notice

eranrund

Call Dodge and have them check your VIN against their records.

--dick
Be careful with that... my record showed that the recall has been done before I purchased the vehicle. I was unable to pass smog to due EGR monitor not ready, and eventually took it to a dealership. They confirmed the T21 recall was done according to the records, but further investigation showed that the ECU firmware was actually an older version without the T21 fix. Upon re-flashing with the correct fix the EGR monitor closed in less than 30 miles of driving.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Be careful with that... my record showed that the recall has been done before I purchased the vehicle. I was unable to pass smog to due EGR monitor not ready, and eventually took it to a dealership. They confirmed the T21 recall was done according to the records, but further investigation showed that the ECU firmware was actually an older version without the T21 fix. Upon re-flashing with the correct fix the EGR monitor closed in less than 30 miles of driving.
Out of morbid curiosity: did you have to pay for the 2nd attempt at the recall?

--dick

Milton Demaray

Very few, but yes, it would be nice to know the part numbers which will work compared to those which won’t. I’m just trying to help the folks searching for ICs because if you try to find the above ic part number you’re going to have a very, very difficult time finding it... both my ‘05 Sprinters w/ t21 don’t have the ic issue and neither have that part number.
The MB Recall Bulletin says that IC parts A 000 446 81 21 and A 001 446 89 21 are the ones that are incompatible and need replacement. But it also says that if the dealer runs into a different IC showing the incompatibility, to let them know by creating a PTSS case. So maybe they aren't too sure. This is how things go when you use the trial-and-error method.

Tacoman1605

Is there anyway to see if the recall has been done to my 2004 Dodge 118"? I purchased the van used in August, had no problem getting it registered through AAA. Im curious if Ill get a notice in 2 years when it comes time to renew my registration. Or if this instrument cluster ordeal will be done by then.
So it passed smog when you
Registered it?

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Registered it?
Unfortunately you can pass smog and not have the recall done and not be able to register. The smog guy will tell you they should have access to all that (won’t let you pass smog w/out t21 or any other emissions recall), but they don’t. I’ve smogged 2x Sprinters before the t21 then had to do the t 21 prior to reg.

AAA seems to be different. Probably access to waive it through by pushing a button which they are willing to do and quite frankly are ignorant to what it is, so why create difficult situation when they want to up your insurance in other avenues; other family members, house, rental house, etc etc.

brokengranite

Hold my beer, watch this
Registered it?
Unfortunately you can pass smog and not have the recall done and not be able to register. The smog guy will tell you they should have access to all that (won’t let you pass smog w/out t21 or any other emissions recall), but they don’t. I’ve smogged 2x Sprinters before the t21 then had to do the t 21 prior to reg.

AAA seems to be different. Probably access to waive it through by pushing a button which they are willing to do and quite frankly are ignorant to what it is, so why create difficult situation when they want to up your insurance in other avenues; other family members, house, rental house, etc etc.
Yes, the day I purchased it I took it across the street and had it smogged, then the next day took it to AAA and had it transferred into my name.

To follow up, I went to the website that Vanski linked (though his link is broken, heres the correct one... https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html) and it looks like the recall was completed on June 20th, 2017. Relieved to know that I dont have to deal with it now.

Last edited:

roll_withit

Wondering if I should bother on this recall. Have an 04 Dodge.

Registered in Montana w/ permanent plates, so I won't need inspections on it ever.

Would still like the vehicle to run as clean as possible though... Any cons to getting this done? In SLC currently

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sikwan

06 Tin Can

Registered in Montana w/ permanent plates, so I won't need inspections on it ever.

Would still like the vehicle to run as clean as possible though... Any cons to getting this done? In SLC currently

For your 2004 to get done, you will need a new gauge cluster. Unless the dealership has a new one on hand, you won't be able to complete it even if you wanted to.

marklg

Read this thread starting at post #761. The instrument cluster needed for the 04 is apparently not available. If the recall is done without it you will be worse off as it will run the battery down. They can't or won't go back to the old software that was compatible with the old cluster. I wouldn't do it unless the dealer has a cluster to replace yours beforehand. On my 2006 the recall went fine but I can't tell any difference in operation.

Regards,

Mark

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Save yourself a LOT of headaches!

No reason to do it. The recall had little or nothing to do with how cleanly your van runs. There has been a bit of speculation that it may actually have been MB erasing evidence of software similar to VW's dieselgate software.

It has recently been mentioned here that at least one dealer has stated that there are no more replacement instrument clusters available,....so if you have the recall done,....even if you were able to find a dealer familiar with the issues created by the recall,.....there will be no remedy available from a dealer,.....even if they knew how to and were willing to fix the problems they had just created with the recall.

In a state with no mandatory state inspection. No reason to do it,......and furthermore if your van ever needs to go to a dealer for any work,....be aware that dealers have been told to do the procedure regardless of why the van is there,....so in that scenario, MAKE CERTAIN THAT EVERYONE AT THE DEALERSHIP KNOWS YOU DO NOT WANT THE RECALL TO BE DONE.

Brian

Last edited:

marklg

Save yourself a LOT of headaches!

No reason to do it. The recall had little or nothing to do with how cleanly your van runs. There has been a bit of speculation that it may actually have been MB erasing evidence of software similar to VW's dieselgate software.

It has recently been mentioned here that at least one dealer has stated that there are no more replacement instrument clusters available,....so if you have the recall done,....even if you were able to find a dealer familiar with the issues created by the recall,.....there will be no remedy available from a dealer,.....even if they knew how to and were willing to fix the problems they had just created with the recall.

In a state with no mandatory state inspection. No reason to do it,......and furthermore if your van ever needs to go to a dealer for any work,....be aware that dealers have been told to do the procedure regardless of why the van is there,....so in that scenario, MAKE CERTAIN THAT EVERYONE AT THE DEALERSHIP KNOWS YOU DO NOT WANT THE RECALL TO BE DONE.

Brian
The dealer that did my 2006 absolutely knew this recall was a problem. They asked me multiple times "you really want to do this?". I did want to get it out of the way, but on a 2006 there is not the problem with the instrument cluster, but the flash programming sometimes goes wrong, requiring a replacement ECU, which are also hard to get. On mine the programming went fine.

So, if you really want it done, talk to the dealer and even ask to talk to the Tech to make sure he has done some successfully on a 2004 and knows all the issues and remedies. My dealer would have gone to the used market if parts were needed, but said it could take weeks if that was required.

Regards,

Mark

From an edit/add today of the first page.

Added October 12, 2019:
Reports are that there are no more Instrument Clusters IC available. The IC is needed for most NAS aka NAFTA 2004 and some 2005 Sprinters. If the T21 recall procedure causes the need for a new IC, they won't be able to acquire it. Unless a dealership has the proper IC part IN HAND, I would follow Bcolins' advice in his recent post #814.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

smitty009

Smitty009
I had the recall done last month on the last day of my current Cal registration period. I had put it off for over a year by getting the van smogged last year and luckily getting new registration without ever having the T21 done then. This year, I figured I had to either not drive my van legally or drive it legally with the check engine light on and, if lucky, only needing to turn the key on and off a few times to turn off the IC light and EGR off when parking for a long period of time.
My questions now are, #1. does anyone know if S.O.S. can reprogram my existing IC to recommunicate with the ECU or whatever it needs to talk to or #2. can I use a junk yard IC and get it to replace my IC (in other words, does the IC need to be new?) or #3. Has Dodge or MB made some new IC's yet or are they planning to ? In other words, does anyone have an idea about what to do next year ? :idunno:
Someone here was buying 2 IC's at a junkyard and was going to have S.O.S. reprogram one or something. Does anyone know if he had any luck with that ? Thanks for any help.

smitty009

Smitty009
That's great !
Well, maybe not so great for me and others that have had it done already and are stuck with the mess. I guess maybe I should have waited after all. I did get in touch with SOS, though, and maybe they'll get back to me with some good news in reprogramming it or something. I doubt there is any chance that Dodge will pay anyone back for what is spent fixing their recall ?

Top Bottom