The dealer, an oil change and oil specs

72chevy4x4

I hate going to the dealer for my oil change but it's a necessary evil as the previously quoted price of $179 was a good value (minus the hours of missed work) but this time the dealer presented me with an invoice for $247. I had already signed the work order with the $179 estimate. The service guy was not happy by my request but honored it and after waiting for 15 minutes for the approval to come from another office.

The indication is that $247 will be the new cost for oil changes...I'll start doing my own once again.

Has anyone used the 001-989-37-01-USA8 5W-30 MB oil? Is it a synthetic oil? It's listed on the invoice as a MB229.52 spec oil, they've put in Mobil 1 every other time.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
I've been using the "new" MB labeled oil. Not many miles on the OC. From the shape of the bottle, I think it's made by Mobil for MB. Sort of a house brand if you will. Gold bottle. MB labeling. 229.52.

IME, the oil from MB's parts counter has been a wee bit less expensive that the auto store.

lindenengineering

I hate going to the dealer for my oil change but it's a necessary evil as the previously quoted price of $179 was a good value (minus the hours of missed work) but this time the dealer presented me with an invoice for $247. I had already signed the work order with the $179 estimate. The service guy was not happy by my request but honored it and after waiting for 15 minutes for the approval to come from another office.

The indication is that $247 will be the new cost for oil changes...I'll start doing my own once again.

Has anyone used the 001-989-37-01-USA8 5W-30 MB oil? Is it a synthetic oil? It's listed on the invoice as a MB229.52 spec oil, they've put in Mobil 1 every other time.
I see how they got to this figure.
13 qrts of 229.52 @ $10,15 /qrt $130,35
MB oil filter $26.
Labor including Hazmat disposal/shop charges etc @ 0,5 hours and assuming $150/hr the charge will be $75 .
Tot it up and you get $231.35, then there's taxes & fees!

Now you can use Valvoline Syn power MST which is 229.51 approved and recently available in 229. 52 approval.
This oil is available like Mobil 1, & Pennzoil Ultra which also are specified.
How much relief you will get at about $9,50/qrt is up to the retailer like Walmart, but I have seen it sold as low as $5,19/qrt at Napa.

So theoretically you can reduce your oils servicing cost by about 2/3rds by DIY.

From a shop perspective though it's all about make me feel good as a customer.

I am always prepared to reduce my profit margins a bit to let my Sprinter customers see MB 229,52 oil fills coming out of MB cartons and bottles.
Whereas fleet operators are quite happy with Valvoline Synpower, since it too conforms to MB specs.

When it comes to the older 903 and 904's we simply fill with 10 qrt jugs of Rotella T6 or Valvoline Blue , same as our policy on Cummins fills using exclusively Valvoline.
For the same reasons MB folk like seeing MB bottles and labels !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd0s3Za47Uw

Its nice to have choices, BUT Cummins :thumbup:
Dennis

I use Total in my VW TDI's and in my Sprinter (my previous T1N Sprinter as well). It used to be branded Elf I believe, apparently has gotten great test results and is a big brand in Europe.

I get an oil change kit from IDParts.com that's $112, comes with filter, drain plug seal, and 14 liters of whatever oil you want. If you want MB oil, it's an extra $30 it looks like. The Total is 229.51 and 229.52.

http://www.idparts.com/oil-change-kit-sprinter-om642-p-2462.html

imstilllarry

Is choosing Rotella T6 or Valvoline Blue based on not having DPF? Do these oils lubricant better than the Mobile ESP 229.52 oil?

2014 Unity MB 2013 Sprinter

sailquik

These LiquiMoly oils are listed in MB BEVO 229.52:
Liqui Moly 5W-30 Top Tech 4605
Liqui Moly 5W-30 Top Tech 4700
Liqui Moly Pro-Engine M500 5W-30
Liqui Moly Pro-Engine M510 5W-30
Liqui Moly Top Tech 4600 5W-30
[FONT=&quot]All 5 are blended by Liqui Moly Gmbh, in Germany.[/FONT]
Which LiquiMoly product are you using?
Roger

Last edited:

lindenengineering

BUT
Repeat question????
Is Luiqimoly better than say Mobil 1 or Valvoline, or all the other brands that have MB compliance.
OR
Is this an emotional thing ???
You know its German, it must be better, etc etc BUT does its data sheets, & TBN numbers etc prove that?:thinking:
Dennis

Wheeljack

I will add my $.02...

Oil changes are a scheduled maintenance, so reasonable planning should allow you to use the preferred oil(s) at a reasonable cost. I wait for Napa $5/quart sale on MB229.5X spec. oil, and stock up once per year, with a few extra quarts to keep with me on the road. I can go pick it up at one of the several thousand locations around.

Now, I've been using Valvoline the 229.51 rated Synpower MST 5W-40 in my 2010 NCV3. I prefer a bit of a thicker oil than 229.52 rated 0W-30 oil which is currently recommended by MB. I am in or near the hot desert most of the year. But I also see some cold winters. Without monitoring oil pressures with the difference viscosities, it is hard for me to have any strong opinions aside from my 'gut feel'.

I recently just became aware that the Synpower MST 5W-30 is 229.52 rated. I can also get that through NAPA, but I'm not sure I'll try it out. I'm not clear on the meaning of the asterisk and OEM approval, but maybe just means MB does not use it as their 229.52 oil, but instead has adopted the MB-branded fluid. To me, if it is 229.52 rated, that is as good as MB recommending it for use.

YMMV.

Attachments

Last edited:

4wheels

BUT
Repeat question????
Is Luiqimoly better than say Mobil 1 or Valvoline, or all the other brands that have MB compliance.
OR
Is this an emotional thing ???
You know its German, it must be better, etc etc BUT does its data sheets, & TBN numbers etc prove that?:thinking:
Dennis
Maybe because Germany and USA have different rules about oil ?????
In Germany , a group IV oil must be 100% synthetic . It writes so on Motul 5w40 oil can .
In USA , it writes " synthetic oil , or full synthetic " , but never writes 100% synthetic .
I had that Motul in my Sprinter . Emotionally it was better , lol. Engine sounded softer , but then again , it was probably emotional thing.

mikesprints

In Germany , a group IV oil must be 100% synthetic . It writes so on Motul 5w40 oil can .
In USA , it writes " synthetic oil , or full synthetic " , but never writes 100% synthetic .
I had that Motul in my Sprinter . Emotionally it was better , lol. Engine sounded softer , but then again , it was probably emotional thing.
229.52 is the same everywhere. That or whichever spec your year of Sprint requires is the relevant qualifier.

CarQuest is another good source for the Valvoline MST BTW

nolly

2007 318 cdi
I recently tried Motul x clean 5w40 rated 229.51 in my 2007 . my question is the Motul says it is a "mid sap" oil, how is that different to lowsap oils and should I stay away from this oil even though it is in "bevo as an 229.51 rated mb oil?

lindenengineering

You know all this is akin to what one might call WINE Snobbery!
It reminds me of a wine presentation in France where a wine connoisseur and merchant was expounding the virtues of his special "mis en botteille" with a very emotional exuberance and all that extra special Gallic verve as only known to the French, who seemingly know wine! --AND pretentious Brits who pretend to be Du Continente.

Being a Brit stirrer of "brown stuff" my erstwhile younger brother Gordon instantly deflated the meeting by saying :-
Well Cabernet Sauvignon might have been your original grape once upon a time but its been made better by the American vintners in California. Besides you lot had your grapes crop base wiped out by philoxia and nowadays you are growing American grapes!

Well that went down like an American turd floating in the French punch bowl !:lol:
Try to keep open mind and remember American "Cab" is good, like American oils!
Dennis

4wheels

229.52 is the same everywhere. That or whichever spec your year of Sprint requires is the relevant qualifier.

CarQuest is another good source for the Valvoline MST BTW

No , it is not the same everywhere !

Some "synthetic oil is made from Group III base stock, some from Group IV. Some from a blend of the two. Mobil sued Castrol and Castrol prevailed in showing that their Group III base stock oil was changed enough that it qualified as full synthetic. Since then API has removed all references to Synthetic in their documentation regarding standards. "Full synthetic" is a marketing term and is not a measurable quality.

Group IV: PAOEdit

Poly-alpha-olefin (or poly-α-olefin, abbreviated asPAO) is a polymer made by polymerizing an alpha-olefin. They are designated at API Group IV and are a 100% synthetic chemical compound. It is a specific type of olefin (organic) that is used as a base stock in the production of some synthetic lubricants. An alpha-olefin (or α-olefin) is an alkene where the carbon-carbon double bond starts at the α-carbon atom, i.e. the double bond is between the #1 and #2 carbons in the molecule.[4]

And yes , I use VAL 966 5w40

Frank Mc

I use Total in my VW TDI's and in my Sprinter (my previous T1N Sprinter as well). It used to be branded Elf I believe, apparently has gotten great test results and is a big brand in Europe.

I get an oil change kit from IDParts.com that's $112, comes with filter, drain plug seal, and 14 liters of whatever oil you want. If you want MB oil, it's an extra $30 it looks like. The Total is 229.51 and 229.52.

http://www.idparts.com/oil-change-kit-sprinter-om642-p-2462.html
What do they charge for shipping ??

Oh boy! Oil!!!!!!

To my knowledge.

MB229.52 oil is not all the same, but it ALL falls within a specific performance standard/band/range.

Among other things, MB BeVo specifications include an actual test engine performance standard.

My guess is that the specific brand base stocks are proprietary and not even included as a requirement in the MB testing for meeting the specification to be listed on BeVo.

The MB BeVo performance testing has some long history. Regardless of brand, I personally believe that any listed MB229.52 engine oil will perform to a standard sufficient for the expected Sprinter van service.

Either you believe in the BeVo testing/listing, or you don't. Isn't the BeVo list based upon science? I would like to believe that MB BeVo doesn't include/exclude products based upon container brand label only.

I have no data, but MB BeVo does.

:2cents: vic

P.S. - To be clear, I am not saying that an oil needs to be on the BeVo list to be good. Many good quality oils/fluids are not listed. I do believe that if a product is listed as good to use, it is fine for your Sprinter regardless of brand label.

Top Bottom