My next car stereo: Sony XAV-AX8000

erroniousgosh

Available at Crutchfield and Amazon now!

I'm interested in this unit, but I'm concerned about having a big aftermarket screen hanging out on my dash (I live in a city) every night. That said, I feel like the mechanical complexity of the flip out screens just seems like another thing to break. If anyone else installs this, I'd be really interested in how it goes. I think it would look great in my t1n.

99sport

Amazon delivered this today.

Things I like:
UI running Android auto is faster than the Alpine iLX-F309 I tested (maps pan quickly, Alpine was seriously laggy)
Simple UI (far less ugly and complicated than the Alpine)
Has an input for dash lights to dim the display - also Google maps switches to night mode with the lights on (not present in the Alpine)
No fan (Alpine fan runs whenever the unit is on, but it was very quiet so probably not really an issue)
USB cable plugs into the back of the screen so I don't have to drill a hole in the console to bring it out (vs on the back of the head unit on Alpine)

Dislikes:
No way to customize home screen icons (cant remove Sirius, Alpine had lots of customization)
No wireless Android auto - currently only double DIN units have that feature
Alpine looked higher end and was slightly nicer (less cost cutting on length of harness, etc)
Only one USB input, so its phone OR USB drive with music (my phone has limited storage / no microUSB)

Both the Sony and Alpine fit in the dash equally well. This pulled about 1.2 amps when on and 1.7 amps at 12.6 volts when charging my phone.

My 2005 T1N is newer than any other car I have ever owned, so it feels like I am entering the 21st century with this in my dash!

Pictures below:

Attachments

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Nice. Cannot wait to install mine. Any issues getting all the cable stuffed behind, ie. is it a very BIG Single DIN unit?

Also:

FrontViewWithDash.jpg

What do those buttons do? I have them but they don't seem to do anything on my Sprinter.

-Randy

99sport

No problem with cables. Depth is pretty average (it's not short). My van came from the factory with no radio harness, but you'd probably use a Metra adaptor to the factory harness anyway so that would be plenty long enough. I installed a new antenna as well (none from the factory) so I did not have to use an antenna adapter.

The left switch is for the factory cargo lights. The right switch is for the factory cargo ventilation (mushroom) fan. These were factory options, but it seems like FedEx was the only buyer that actally ordered them.

One adition to the comparison above: the Alpine does multitouch gestures while the sony does not.

white whale

Nice. Cannot wait to install mine. Any issues getting all the cable stuffed behind, ie. is it a very BIG Single DIN unit?

Also:

View attachment 122310

What do those buttons do? I have them but they don't seem to do anything on my Sprinter.

-Randy
was just looking at that switch today - left side one.

Light Switch-Rear Passenger Area 2002-2006
Rear area light switch. Only for passenger vans, not for cargo vans.​

I like to know about the other too.

Attachments

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
Looks great, my find installed a double din Sony unit with a similar feature set to this. (Minus the floating screen of course). That was over 3 years ago and to this day it's still fast and reliable. He's an Android user but I'm an iPhone user, we frequently switch the plugged in phone back in forth between our two phones and never had any problems.

was just looking at that switch today - left side one.

Light Switch-Rear Passenger Area 2002-2006
Rear area light switch. Only for passenger vans, not for cargo vans.​
This light switch has also been seen in FedEx cargo vans, it controls the rear lights. A similar switch is located behind the sliding partition wall.

The other button is for a roof van, another feature also present on FedEx vans. In my experience though, the original fan doesn't work to begin with.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I am curious about this rear light switch, does it do anything in anyone's van? I have the light switch but it just sits there, would love to trace the wire and hook it up to a light, just hard to trace wires in the bundles we get. Mine is a cutaway van so why would it include a rear light switch?

TJD

Hey guys-I have a 2004, recently replaced the bipolar stock Becker with an inexpensive kenwood from Crutchfield. I wish I had done it 8 years ago when I bought the van. Anyway I’m interested in this Sony unit that you raved about. However, Crutchfield’s website says it does not fit my vehicle. I would appreciate any input. Thanks-Tim

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
All the bells and whistles. I realized I don't need the android auto. I keep my phone in my pocket and listen to podcasts. But I like the screen for backup camera...

99sport

I just got an AX8000. It doesn't have a din sleeve and there's no brackets in the van. How did you install it?

I did not have a radio bezel as my van is a former FedEx. I tried the Metra bezel, but it didn't fit right and the stereo would fall out. I bought an OEM bezel from Dodge and that worked great. Yes, there was no DIN sleeve. I bought and had temporarily installed a $20 stereo to use temporarily before the Sony, so I used the DIN sleeve from that. How a $500 stereo doent come with a DIN sleeve but a $20 one does is beyond me.

99sport

I am curious about this rear light switch, does it do anything in anyone's van? I have the light switch but it just sits there, would love to trace the wire and hook it up to a light, just hard to trace wires in the bundles we get. Mine is a cutaway van so why would it include a rear light switch?
My light switch works. It's a momentary switch and there is some computer in the van that turns the lights out after 20 minutes (so your battery won't die). The wire does not go dirctly to the lights, but rather to a computer and that controls the lights.

99sport

Hey guys-I have a 2004, recently replaced the bipolar stock Becker with an inexpensive kenwood from Crutchfield. I wish I had done it 8 years ago when I bought the van. Anyway I’m interested in this Sony unit that you raved about. However, Crutchfield’s website says it does not fit my vehicle. I would appreciate any input. Thanks-Tim
If you have a T1N it will fit - see picutres above. You will need to use the OEM (Dodge) bezel, which was still available from the dealer last year when I bought mine.

cian128

4in speakers are so bad (even aftermarket) i have been using the sound bar i keep in the back for camping as the speakers for long drives, just throw it up on dashboard and its so much better

eventually ill put 8in in headliner and get a nice carplay unit

huskyfrk

thank you for the pics. just don’t know if i want to give up my in dash CD player and the 10 disc changer i have. wish i could have both...

danielmccoy

2004 Sprinter Westfalia
Amazon delivered this today.

Things I like:
UI running Android auto is faster than the Alpine iLX-F309 I tested (maps pan quickly, Alpine was seriously laggy)
Simple UI (far less ugly and complicated than the Alpine)
Has an input for dash lights to dim the display - also Google maps switches to night mode with the lights on (not present in the Alpine)
No fan (Alpine fan runs whenever the unit is on, but it was very quiet so probably not really an issue)
USB cable plugs into the back of the screen so I don't have to drill a hole in the console to bring it out (vs on the back of the head unit on Alpine)

Dislikes:
No way to customize home screen icons (cant remove Sirius, Alpine had lots of customization)
No wireless Android auto - currently only double DIN units have that feature
Alpine looked higher end and was slightly nicer (less cost cutting on length of harness, etc)
Only one USB input, so its phone OR USB drive with music (my phone has limited storage / no microUSB)

Both the Sony and Alpine fit in the dash equally well. This pulled about 1.2 amps when on and 1.7 amps at 12.6 volts when charging my phone.

My 2005 T1N is newer than any other car I have ever owned, so it feels like I am entering the 21st century with this in my dash!

Pictures below:
I installed my XAV-AX8000. Super great unit. My only problem is that the time always says 1 a.m. when I start it up. Though, the stereo always remembers my preset stations and remembers if I was using Apple CarPlay. I tried RDS and also manually set the time. I also updated the firmware. Any ideas? I did use a Metra Volkswagen/Audi wire harness 70-1784 that fit the previous harness perfectly.

Top Bottom