Ca DMV Says my 158" 03 cargo van is a commercial vehicle

dsellsbear

PAWS8IV
I read some of the post about "my neighbors don't like my van" tonight after having just been to the DMV to register my Sprinter. The guy who registered it today said that it was a commercial vehicle and that I need to get it weighed to complete my registration. He seemed to point out something on the out of state title which may have indicated this. Unfortunately, there was a language barrier and I was just happy to hear that it could be registered at all.
What are the implications, aside from having to weigh the vehicle, of having a commercial vehicle?
Should I question this decision of calling it a commercial vehicle?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
class definition for passenger windows all round seats... factory installed! although if fitted with full factory seats windows side paneling and safety belts, it could be reclassified as a passenger vehicle.
Commercial Cargo is a bare shell with no rear seats.
PASSENGER
April%2B6,%2B2008%2B251.jpg

CARGO
41611436_59ee68d243_b.jpg
RV Camper
05.jpg
RICHARD

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I read some of the post about "my neighbors don't like my van" tonight after having just been to the DMV to register my Sprinter. The guy who registered it today said that it was a commercial vehicle and that I need to get it weighed to complete my registration. He seemed to point out something on the out of state title which may have indicated this. Unfortunately, there was a language barrier and I was just happy to hear that it could be registered at all.
What are the implications, aside from having to weigh the vehicle, of having a commercial vehicle?
Having a commercial vehicle in California means...

1. Commercial plates: 1A12345 and not 1ABC123 (passenger)
2. If you have a 2500, you have to pay ($80) extra every year for commercial plates. A 3500 is more of course. The fee is based on weight; 2500 (3/4 ton), 3500 (1 ton).
3. With commercial plates, you can park in commercial parking zones. Not worth the extra silly fee a year imho.

It's weird why you have to weigh it. :thinking: Can't they just look at the tag that manufacturer spec'd it at?

In Kalifornia, every truck is plated commercial even though you don't use it for business. The only way to get around it is to install a permanent camper shell. :rolleyes: This is also true for cargo vans, except you will have to add a passenger seat behind the driver's row and maybe some windows (I'm not sure about the windows).

If you're not using it for business, I would try to register it non-commercial. You would have to add the seat in the back and go back and stand in line (or make an appointment; only way to go) to have it reinspected.

Jrmorgan

Unfortunately, there was a language barrier and I was just happy to hear that it could be registered at all.
I would go back to the DMV and get someone who understands English.
With commercial plates, there are a few extra places you can park. Back alleys and so on. Then again I've gotten tickets because the meter maid didn't remember how to read a commercial plate, second digit is always a letter. Took the ticket in beat the fine, but still paid with my time.... Other owners of commercial trucks have told me that if you have advertising on the truck, that makes it clear to the meter maids.

I bought my truck off a lot, the salesman took care of it all. I don't believe he has to state the weight.

I know NY is different from CA, but check your DMV regulations. I can't quote the NY definition, but if you have a permanently mounted back seat or a permanently mounted stove (makes it a camper) and don't "normally" remove the seat and haul things you can register as a passenger vehicle. I've wondered whether a boat type single burner gimbaled propane unit meets the regs, but we have a permanent seat.

In NY State it pays to register passenger because the cost of commercial insurance is now higher than regular personal insurance. Commercial insurance once was considerably cheaper. Those days for us are now gone. There are also some freeways that restrict commercial vehicles. Hope this helps.

AdvTech

Hi All,

I just purchased my 05 Sprinter 2500 158" Cargo van from the ATL and had it shipped here, I'll be heading to the DMV to register it as soon as I get the Pink Slip and paperwork from the place that I bought it so I should be able to shed some more light on the registration when I go to the DMV later this week. I live in the Anaheim Hills Area so I'll probably go the Fullerton or Santa Ana DMV. I'd prefer to have mine registered as a non-commercial as I hear that it's cheaper when it comes to insurance, but we'll see what the DMV says....I'll keep you posted!!!

AdvTech

Nate

I would try to get it registered as a non-commercial if that is what it will be used for.

Here in CT if it is over a certain GVWR then it will have commercial tags which means you need to renew the registration every year rather than every other. Also the insurance is higher for commercial tags.

jackeberry

you might want to check local parking and zoning laws. it could be that you cannot park in the street. here in my wisc town a cv over 4 tons cannot park on the street. it could be that even on the driveway you are illeagal as it can be seen by neighbors.

kmessinger

Sprinters are normally registered commercial in California. To register is an a auto (there is only commercial and automobile) you have to certify that the vehicle has been converted for human habitation. Sec E of California form Reg. 265a (required with the pink slip and current commercial plate) states "Definition: Human habitation is living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms."

Apparently they are a little loose on the "bath or toilet rooms" as SMB completes many units with just a porta-potti.

If you do register commercial, yes you are required to bring in a weight slip. You are required to "declare the weight" the first time the vehicle is registered.

Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
have mine registered as a non-commercial as I hear that it's cheaper when it comes to insurance, but we'll see what the DMV says....I'll keep you posted!!!

AdvTech
The insurance companies don't care how the vehicle is registered. At least that's the underwriting viewpoint. They are most interested in the function. What purposes does the vehicle serve for you?

That's not to say that some insurance bureaucrat, three steps removed from knowledge of insurance by an MBA, a sycophantic attitude, and the potential of a bonus, won't say that the registration makes a difference.

Insurance rates (in as far as the underwriters and actuaries have any say in the matter) are based upon performance of large groups. If your vehicle is a member of a large group of vehicles that have a better or worse experience than other groups, then your rates vary accordingly.

kendall69

Sprinters are normally registered commercial in California. To register is an a auto (there is only commercial and automobile) you have to certify that the vehicle has been converted for human habitation. Sec E of California form Reg. 265a (required with the pink slip and current commercial plate) states "Definition: Human habitation is living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms."
I'm being charge $150.00 each year for commercial plates ADDITION over the price of plates.

Well I found a NEW category for registering the Sprinter - BUS, yes they said because it has 10 "PASSENGERS" it's a bus, I said it doesn't have 10 passengers it only has 9, driver makes 10, " no that means 10". OK Ok wait a minute if I had a Ford or Chevy and it had 10 seats is it a bus "no"...but I don't want to be a bus, "sorry"

He said I can be in two categories one BUS, the other is anything else.

So tomorrow I will go back down with one less bench seat in the BUS!:yell:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I'm being charge $150.00 each year for commercial plates ADDITION over the price of plates.

So tomorrow I will go back down with one less bench seat in the BUS!:yell:
They can call me "late for dinner," as long as I don't have to pay the $150! :smirk:

Top Bottom