Onan Generator

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
RT head office will pass the buck straight over to ONAN and their Authorized Service Centers. Some RT dealers are such service centers.

artnc

Re: Onan Generator- repair update

Some of you had been very helpful to me with suggestions about the issue I was having with a 2013 Agile SS not running for more than about 30 seconds to 2 minutes before cutting off. I had only had the unit a week and the generator had 0 hours on it when I got it.

Took it to a warranty place today in Greer SC (Richards RV) and boy did that guy know his Onan generators.....Anyhow he had to drop it from the undercarriage and it turned out (according to him) that the non-use of the genny (the Agile was manufactured in April 2012 and I don't know how long the genny was sitting unused) caused some diaphram in the regulator to collapse and stick against the bottom of it. I hope I am getting this right...I think so....anyhow the fellow had to do some vacuum thing to get that diaphram unstuck and then it worked great on the bench. He then reinstalled it in the Roadtrek and it ran fine for about an hour.

The fellow also told me something I was not aware of....that if I shut off the AC with the generator running, to wait about 5 minutes before putting it back on...something about high pressure???? anyhow forget the details of that, but it is not a good thing to put AC off and then right back on. Also he told me it was safe to exercise the generator while driving....so it would be more convenient for me to run it while I am using the RT to do some errands and exercise the genny while exercising the Van.,,,during times of less use.

He told me how important it is to use that generator regularly, with a load, or else this or some other bad things could happen. I think Roadtrek and Onan are arguing over the warranty cost (the fellow told me this would have been about $300 if I were paying) since someone (other than me who only had this a week at the time it screwed up) did not exercise the thing . Perhaps the dealer....who knows?

Anyhow I wanted to inform all who might care.

Art

icarus

Glad you seem to have gotten it resolved.

The reason you should wait before starting the A/C is that if you shut it off, while it is compressing , the refrigerant loop will be under high pressure. Starting the compressor against that head of pressure takes a lot of current (and it is hard on the compressor). Ideally you should cycle the A/C down before shutting it off.

Icarus

Top Bottom