Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #31
98Firebird

Default Re: Gasoline in my Diesel Fuel Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giver123 View Post
Cheyenne and Aqua Puttana, early this morning I stopped at the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter dealer and spoke with the Service manager about about the gasolin in my diesel tank. I told him that AAA verified that gas went past the fuel filter. He told me that if gasoline went through the fuel injectors and through some of the fuel lines that the gasoline would eat away the lining in the fuel lines before the fuel injectors. (I'm talking about the fuel lines before the fuel injectors) Does that sound right to you guys? He also said, if that was the case even though the engine was never started and the gasoline went through the fuel injectors that the fuel injectors and those gas lines would need to be replaced. Does that sound right to you guys to replace the fuel injectors and lines? Thanks!!!
No! Coming from someone working at a dealer, I would run from that dealer as fast as I could! I'm assuming he is referring to the HARDENED STEEL high pressure lines? Gasoline will in no way destroy those lines. Also even the rubber fuel lines on the low pressure side are just fuel injection line which will be rated for diesel and gasoline among a myriad of other fuel sources. Your van can EASILY be fixed by draining the tank, replacing the fuel filter, and putting diesel in. I have done this procedure hundreds of times and usually on vehicles that were actually ran on gasoline until they shut off. Draining the tank, flushing some diesel fuel through, and replacing the fuel filter has fixed all but 2 vans and they had been ran for an extended period with just the perfect diesel/gas mix and they actually melted the exhaust and related components/sensors. This next part is something I would suggest you relay to them so they can look at a document they have easy access to from MB on how to proceed: Open up Netstar, go to CV Tekinfo, click on CV Bulletins, then search for document V-B-47.10/01b. It says in the document and I quote "If the engine was NOT started after the fuel tank was filled with the wrong type of fuel, then emptying the
tank and cleaning the fuel low-pressure lines should be enough to resolve the problem." Then once they do that and it fixes it, I would suggest getting in touch with Mercedes to let them know they were trying to rip you for a huge repair (money wise anyways,repair is fairly easy which is why they want that big ticket). If it were me I would call in to Mercedes and let them know about your experience at that particular dealer. The dealer should have some type of general manager or fixed operations director above the service manager, I would request their info as well if they still want to replace injectors and lines after reviewing the document I mentioned. Interested to see how things proceed....
98Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 98Firebird For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (10-15-2019), CJPJ (10-15-2019), sailquik (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #32
Giver123
Giver123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne View Post
Before I answer your question I have a question for you...

Who is picking up the bill when the work is done? You, insurance, filling station, etc.?

Keith.
The insurance company of the filling station.
I4
300 miles as of March 2017
144" wheel base.
White except for underneath.
Giver123 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giver123 For This Useful Post:
sailquik (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #33
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,218 Posts

Quote:
The insurance company of the filling station.
Well if they give consent to the final estimate from the dealer then why not go ahead and get it all done, as long as they give you a good warranty on their work!

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #34
Giver123
Giver123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Firebird View Post
No! Coming from someone working at a dealer, I would run from that dealer as fast as I could! I'm assuming he is referring to the HARDENED STEEL high pressure lines? Gasoline will in no way destroy those lines. Also even the rubber fuel lines on the low pressure side are just fuel injection line which will be rated for diesel and gasoline among a myriad of other fuel sources. Your van can EASILY be fixed by draining the tank, replacing the fuel filter, and putting diesel in. I have done this procedure hundreds of times and usually on vehicles that were actually ran on gasoline until they shut off. Draining the tank, flushing some diesel fuel through, and replacing the fuel filter has fixed all but 2 vans and they had been ran for an extended period with just the perfect diesel/gas mix and they actually melted the exhaust and related components/sensors. This next part is something I would suggest you relay to them so they can look at a document they have easy access to from MB on how to proceed: Open up Netstar, go to CV Tekinfo, click on CV Bulletins, then search for document V-B-47.10/01b. It says in the document and I quote "If the engine was NOT started after the fuel tank was filled with the wrong type of fuel, then emptying the
tank and cleaning the fuel low-pressure lines should be enough to resolve the problem." Then once they do that and it fixes it, I would suggest getting in touch with Mercedes to let them know they were trying to rip you for a huge repair (money wise anyways,repair is fairly easy which is why they want that big ticket). If it were me I would call in to Mercedes and let them know about your experience at that particular dealer. The dealer should have some type of general manager or fixed operations director above the service manager, I would request their info as well if they still want to replace injectors and lines after reviewing the document I mentioned. Interested to see how things proceed....
Thank you for the very useful information. I spoke with the dealer today and it seems as though he is not anxious to replace the fuel injectors. He is saying the repair bill will be around $1700. They want to drop the fuel tank including cleaning and wiping, drain the lines, replace the fuel filter and run fresh diesel fuel throughout. They also want to run it for about 70 miles and then inspect. WAWA's insurance company contacted me today but they need the written estimate from the dealer but I don't think there's going to be any problem with payment. The insurance company was also concerned that I received a good rental car and if I need extra days or even a pick up truck to just call them and let them know. So for along with everyone's help in this group I feel relaxed and thinking positively there won't be any problems and I'll be able to move along and forget about this incident. Thanks for being there group!!!
I4
144" wheel base.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giver123 For This Useful Post:
ptheland (10-15-2019), sailquik (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #35
Giver123
Giver123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne View Post
Well if they give consent to the final estimate from the dealer then why not go ahead and get it all done, as long as they give you a good warranty on their work!

Keith.
I was thinking the same thing. I have about 65,000 miles on the odometer and if I can get them to replace the fuel injectors without any big gripes from the adjuster then I don't have a problem with that. My attorney who is my friend is in Barcelona and won't be back until the 22nd. I could contact him but I don't want to bother him in less there is a big problem. And that's another thing I was thinking today if my warranty might be voided or not. I will be talking to the service manager and making sure that my warranty is still carried and if not then this dispute will remain open. And I do understand what you are saying that if they replaced the injectors I should get a warranty with that also. Let's see how it unfolds and I'll keep posting.
I4
144" wheel base.
Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM   #36
Gabe Athouse

Wow. So much to-do over a little gas. I’d be very surprised if a little gas would hurt anything in the fuel system. Remember, unless you had ZERO diesel when starting, it will be a mixture of fuels anyway. Also we are talking a very short time period here, so components not designed for use in gas systems will still not suffer a bit from a couple days exposure to them. I think you actually run more risk having everything replaced by a dealer!
Imagine how many times this happens every day around the globe.
Gabe Athouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #37
elemental

Quote:
[...] And that's another thing I was thinking today if my warranty might be voided or not. I will be talking to the service manager and making sure that my warranty is still carried and if not then this dispute will remain open. [...]
There's the rub... If the vehicle is under warranty, then the repair must be made to the future satisfaction of the warrantor so that in the event of future problems the warrantor doesn't refuse a claim based on damage outside of the warranty. Much to the probably dismay of the insurer covering your current claim, since the work is likely to include "just in case" elements necessary to lower the probability of a future warranty claim rejection.
The Following User Says Thank You to elemental For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #38
Giver123
Giver123

Quote:
Thank you for the very useful information. I spoke with the dealer today and it seems as though he is not anxious to replace the fuel injectors. He is saying the repair bill will be around $1700. They want to drop the fuel tank including cleaning and wiping, drain the lines, replace the fuel filter and run fresh diesel fuel throughout. They also want to run it for about 70 miles and then inspect. WAWA's insurance company contacted me today but they need the written estimate from the dealer but I don't think there's going to be any problem with payment. The insurance company was also concerned that I received a good rental car and if I need extra days or even a pick up truck to just call them and let them know. So for along with everyone's help in this group I feel relaxed and thinking positively there won't be any problems and I'll be able to move along and forget about this incident. Thanks for being there group!!!
Just to bring you up to speed. I spoke with the service manager today and asked him what exact fuel lines that he said the gasoline would eat away the graphite coatings in the fuel lines. He told me the high pressure steel lines and they have a graphite coating inside and the gasoline will eat way to graphite.

You know it's funny, whenever I have service done and I've own a Sprinter before I always tell the service manager that I belong to the Sprinter Forum just so they watch out. They never seem to care and just followed procedure.
I4
144" wheel base.
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #39
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,930 Times in 8,853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
There's the rub... If the vehicle is under warranty, then the repair must be made to the future satisfaction of the warrantor so that in the event of future problems the warrantor doesn't refuse a claim based on damage outside of the warranty. Much to the probably dismay of the insurer covering your current claim, since the work is likely to include "just in case" elements necessary to lower the probability of a future warranty claim rejection.
Good point.

My input here is most always geared to attempt to provide a practical view as offset for some of the issues under discussion. Things can quickly get blown out of proportion.

Observation.
Anal Retentive Chicken Little Syndrome (for lack of a better term).

When the problem(s) have been caused by what should be a "professional" service industry AND warranty is involved, the game changes.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; Yesterday at 10:37 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote