EGR fan wheel does not spring back (2007)

EGR doesn’t snap back closed freely.

Cleaned my EGR today.

I bought the van at 140k (2007 freightliner 2500) and I have a feeling this cleaning has never been done.

When cleaning it I opened the fan wheel but it did not snap back shut. Instead it stayed open. It takes effort to open and close it. And after cleaning I saw very little to no improvement.

There weren’t any noticeable issues before the cleaning so I decided to close the wheel and reinstall it in the closed position - like it was when I removed it.

I am assuming the EGR needs to be replaced. Am I correct to assume that I did the right thing by closing the fan wheel when reinstalling, rather than leaving it open.

I figure that would be along the lines of an “EGR delete” seeing as the wheel will not freely spin. Is it worth it to purchase a new EGR, leave as is, or do the EGR computer delete?

I had someone on another forum state a motor opens and closes the wheel and not to worry about it not snapping back.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
It's spring loaded; this pic I have a pen holding the butterfly valve open.
image.jpg
See the hardened seat surface, that's what's needs to be clean.

Need to mention there's another spring, a end play spring that lightly keeps the butterfly in contact with the seat.

Last edited:

Top Bottom