Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
kkanuck
LUV my T1N
 
kkanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,017
Thanks: 316
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Default Automatic Temp Control or Heater Core Valve?

I recently started having an issue with an 2004 T1N and the heating system.

I have read over all the threads I could find on the subject, but thought I would post my symptoms hoping it may be clear to someone with more experience with the issue

It is now winter, so the heat must be used. What I am finding, is the heat control setting knob on the ATC (left side knob) will not produce varying amounts of heat. It is all or nothing.

Also, only if it is set to the bottom most cold setting, will it be cold, even if the AC is turned on.

If I move it 2 notches towards warm from the most cold setting, . It will get very hot within seconds. If I turn it back to cold all the way only..., there is a 3-5 minute delay before cold air will start to come out of the vents again, even if the AC is turned on.

So basically it is extreme heat, except when all the way to cold, and even then, there is a long delay before the cold starts.

A few months back, when AC was still being used due to warm temps, if my memory serves correctly, with AC freshly turned on, even in the most cold setting on the ATC, there were times when hot air would come out then as well, and only after 3-5 minutes would it cool down and start giving cold air from the AC compressor.

I have read about the potentiometer of this temp dial failing and that causing these symptoms, and also the heater core valve failing. Seeing as it is not stuck, and will eventually change from hot to cold with a delay, makes me think the ATC dial is okay, or it would never alter temps, but perhaps that reasoning is incorrect.

I have ordered a new replacement heater core valve and plan on changing it no matter what but am curious if these symptoms point to anything I have not thought of? My next move if this does not work would be to send the ATC in for a refurb. I have changed the circulation pump not long ago, used with the Espar system and Rest.

Thanks in advance for any insight, much appreciated.
__________________
2004 158" WB, 2500 Passenger, Tall Roof, Rear AC, Ronal Alloys, MB conversion, Met. Silver, 148K miles.
2006 E320 CDI, Graphite Grey Metallic, 138K miles

Last edited by kkanuck; 01-20-2020 at 10:01 PM.
kkanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
VinceP
2005 158" High Roof Pass.
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 165
Thanks: 52
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Temp Control or Heater Core Valve?

Interestingly, I have a very similar issue with mine. I read on the forum that the temp sensor / temp sensor fan on the ATC could be dirty and this can cause false readings from it....
__________________
Rusty but Happy Sprinter in Montréal
VinceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:56 AM   #3
kkanuck
LUV my T1N
 
kkanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,017
Thanks: 316
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Temp Control or Heater Core Valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceP View Post
Interestingly, I have a very similar issue with mine. I read on the forum that the temp sensor / temp sensor fan on the ATC could be dirty and this can cause false readings from it....
I too read that earlier today, but have yet to attempt this cleaning... I saw a diagram showing the vent for the fan and temp sensor being behind the black rectangular cover on the right side of the ATC between the center and right knob, and the opening being on the lower half. I will try the vacuum / blow with compressed air trick, (would be nice if that cover would pop off granting access without removal of ATC) , alternatively removing the whole ATC, and prying it apart, is perhaps the only way to properly clean it?
__________________
2004 158" WB, 2500 Passenger, Tall Roof, Rear AC, Ronal Alloys, MB conversion, Met. Silver, 148K miles.
2006 E320 CDI, Graphite Grey Metallic, 138K miles

Last edited by kkanuck; 01-21-2020 at 02:03 AM.
kkanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:55 PM   #4
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N
 
Nautamaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 2,911
Thanks: 1,049
Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,312 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Temp Control or Heater Core Valve?

A Sprinter-aware scanner can interrogate the ATC module and see the temperature selector resistance value, as well as ducted air and cabin temperatures (the scanner may be cheaper than shotgunning parts at the HVAC system...)
A volt meter at the bypass valve’s connector should see 12 volts when the ATC calls for “cold” and no volts when it calls for “heat”, with a slow switching on/off during intermediate modes (a few seconds per cycle).
Like your home thermostat, the heat is typically fully “on” (bypass valve unpowered) until the little fan/sensor pulls in air near the requested cabin temperature (and the A/C will similarly blow full-cold until the cabin cools down in summer).

I know that the Autel MD-804 and AP-200 models can connect with the ATC module.

-dave
Nautamaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:13 AM   #5
kkanuck
LUV my T1N
 
kkanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,017
Thanks: 316
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Temp Control or Heater Core Valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautamaran View Post
A Sprinter-aware scanner can interrogate the ATC module and see the temperature selector resistance value, as well as ducted air and cabin temperatures (the scanner may be cheaper than shotgunning parts at the HVAC system...)
A volt meter at the bypass valve’s connector should see 12 volts when the ATC calls for “cold” and no volts when it calls for “heat”, with a slow switching on/off during intermediate modes (a few seconds per cycle).
Like your home thermostat, the heat is typically fully “on” (bypass valve unpowered) until the little fan/sensor pulls in air near the requested cabin temperature (and the A/C will similarly blow full-cold until the cabin cools down in summer).

I know that the Autel MD-804 and AP-200 models can connect with the ATC module.

-dave

Thanks Dave,


I will measure the volts at the bypass connector and see what it tells me, thanks for the tip.

I have an Autel MD-802, so I guess I am out of luck for my scanner being able to communicate.


Cheers,
__________________
2004 158" WB, 2500 Passenger, Tall Roof, Rear AC, Ronal Alloys, MB conversion, Met. Silver, 148K miles.
2006 E320 CDI, Graphite Grey Metallic, 138K miles
kkanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #6
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N
 
Nautamaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 2,911
Thanks: 1,049
Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,312 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Temp Control or Heater Core Valve?

Sorry... I think I mis-typed (there are too many scanners in my life...)
Try going into the menus via Scan -> Sprinter ...etc until you get to Manual Scan, then select ATC, then Live Data. You should be able to see the sensor and control states within.

-dave
Nautamaran is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautamaran For This Useful Post:
kkanuck (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 12:57 AM   #7
kkanuck
LUV my T1N
 
kkanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,017
Thanks: 316
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Temp Control or Heater Core Valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautamaran View Post
Sorry... I think I mis-typed (there are too many scanners in my life...)
Try going into the menus via Scan -> Sprinter ...etc until you get to Manual Scan, then select ATC, then Live Data. You should be able to see the sensor and control states within.

-dave
Thank you, I will try that tomorrow...when it is light outside.



When I tried to enter the vehicle into this scanner, and put Dodge Sprinter it came back with no such vehicle to choose, do you remember what one would choose in the settings for a 2004 Sprinter?

Cheers
__________________
2004 158" WB, 2500 Passenger, Tall Roof, Rear AC, Ronal Alloys, MB conversion, Met. Silver, 148K miles.
2006 E320 CDI, Graphite Grey Metallic, 138K miles
kkanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N
 
Nautamaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 2,911
Thanks: 1,049
Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,312 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Temp Control or Heater Core Valve?

On the Autel I usually pick the “WD...” vehicle subtype.
Good luck!

-dave
Nautamaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:14 AM   #9
jrod5150
 
jrod5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: T1Nland SoCal
Posts: 80
Thanks: 10
Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Temp Control or Heater Core Valve?

From the symptoms your stating I would replace the climate control. The heater valves I’ve seen that have failed either fail stuck open or stuck shut. I’ve never had one sort of work. Not to say it’s not possible... Whenever it’s sort of working its the temp dial internal in the controller. I have probably 6 bad controllers sitting on my bench and have had a replacement heater control valve sitting on my shelf for months.
jrod5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #10
kkanuck
LUV my T1N
 
kkanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,017
Thanks: 316
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Temp Control or Heater Core Valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod5150 View Post
From the symptoms your stating I would replace the climate control. The heater valves I’ve seen that have failed either fail stuck open or stuck shut. I’ve never had one sort of work. Not to say it’s not possible... Whenever it’s sort of working its the temp dial internal in the controller. I have probably 6 bad controllers sitting on my bench and have had a replacement heater control valve sitting on my shelf for months.
Thank you...


I will send in my Climate Control (ATC) for a rebuild, this was my initial guess, till I read another forum member that had it rebuilt only to have the hot air symptom continue, and the (ATC) rebuilder then had him change the heater valve and it finally fixed it...time will tell, will report back once I fix with what the final culprit was!
__________________
2004 158" WB, 2500 Passenger, Tall Roof, Rear AC, Ronal Alloys, MB conversion, Met. Silver, 148K miles.
2006 E320 CDI, Graphite Grey Metallic, 138K miles
kkanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.