Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #21
PATECO

Default Re: Bottom of windshield rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by israndy View Post
What? My deductible is more than the cost of the windshield, how did you get your insurance to cover it?

-Randy
In Florida, 100% Windshield Replacement Coverage is mandatory. I drive a lot of miles, and so have had to replace several. All have been covered by insurance without deductible.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:19 PM   #22
aspen

What often happens, the glass person replacing glass would be not careful and cut through paint when removing old glass, a year or so later, after installation of new glass you have rust bubbles on the bottom of glass. I
I had a glass person come twice - to pull the glass and to install it couple days later. I worked on removing rust from the lip glass sits on and beyond, POR-15, primer, paint. It has been around 4 years and my repair is still in good shape.

Val
aspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:17 AM   #23
pneumatician

Apologies for tardiness in replying. Bearing in mind a windscreen company had quoted £300 just to take the screen out and put it back. The complete job cost just over a grand ( £1000).
pneumatician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #24
lessline99

hey guys,

Of course I have a lot of rust forming under my windshield like everyone else it seams like. Back in 2010 when I bought my T1N I had it resprayed and the rust so called "fixed" by the body shop. Well....now here in 2016 the rust is back and looks worst than before because all of the bond/body filler they used is now basically falling out bc there is rust below the bond/body filler and literally coming off in chunks. So I can go back to the body shop and get it done again...and again...and again....for years to come. But then I started to do a lil research and I found out that you can actually buy the "Top Cowl" for the windshield. Ive found it on the Chrysler factory parts website ... http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...category=20301 ...which ends up being figure #2 which is $84 then they get you on the $30 shipping. Well, then i just typed in top cowl for sprinter on ebay and I can find them in the price range of $92-$125 with free shipping. So then I went to my sprinter to "investigate" how it will install. Well, with further inspection you have to literally cut out the old top cowl and then weld the new one in. Of course it isn't an easy bolt on part!. So if I'm going to replace it I might as well cut the whole dang thing out and weld in the brand new top cowl. Has ANYONE ever tried this or even thought about this method? If so, can you let me know how you went about doing it? Or, why you didn't go this route? The welding /grinding part isn't a big deal to me. I was thinking of maybe cutting out as much as I can and leave the some of the old cowl there and cut the new cowl to fit the old one. Or, just cutting it all out and going that direction. Im just a lil afraid that it won't line up correctly if I cut the whole thing out. I don't want to go the bond route bc to me i want it done correctly and I hate putting lipstick on a pig. Please feel free to comment or suggest anything I am always open to ideas and opinions!

_Lessline99
lessline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:54 AM   #25
312d

i did it, but not trying to get the rust out of it, it was a real PITA for me, you cannot do it alone, you need someone else to help you, not your mom or yor wife, i mean real muscular help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_001380.jpg (358.4 KB, 129 views)
lessline99 (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 02:34 AM   #26
312d

if i recall good was near a hundred welding points, and the cowl overlaps under the A pillar skins on both sides, major dissasembly, air box, wiper mechanism, hood, hinges, heating pipes, interior trim, that might or not involve to take apart the dashboard, and probably the cabin interior roof.
the new cowl dont come predrilled. you will have to use the old one as a template to locate the new spot welds.
special tool cobalt drill bits specially sharpened like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spot-Weld-...wAAOSwaNBUdiDS.
- seam sealant, cavities wax protection, primer, paint, air compressor, phosphoric acid, angle grinders , a lot of locking pliers, laser level, a MIG welder a lot of safety equipment , etc, etc. and lots of precious time.
i am not discouraging you with this, you can do it, but it wont be a walk in the park, it can take you weeks, i am just telling you what are you getting into, if you are really motivated, have the drive and knowledge you will do it better than most of body shops, who are always trying to get a shortcut on the job.

Last edited by 312d; 01-17-2016 at 02:37 AM.
312d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 312d For This Useful Post:
lessline99 (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #27
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,587 Times in 9,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessline99 View Post
... lipstick on a pig. Please feel free to comment or suggest anything I am always open to ideas and opinions!

_Lessline99
I looked at a full blown repair on my 2004 as "lipstick on a pig". Given the overall condition it just isn't worth the time, money, or effort. My bottom repair has been good for over a year now. The top repair is a bit older.

Windshield Rust Hack Job

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36676

I'll try to post a few update pictures in the repair thread.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
lessline99 (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #28
lessline99

Thanks 312d!

Don't get me wrong I am no body guy. And also I'm more of a grinder than a welder..haha. But I do have a lot of friends who are "state certified welders" and said they will help me out. I was hoping to knock this out in a afternoon and once it's finished have the windshield replaced since it's cracked and that's windshield #9 for me since I bought my sprinter in 2010. Hopefully #10 will stay a lil while. But looking at it could take weeks I can't do that being its my daily and I don't have a bay or inside storage to use. But how about cut out the top rusted area out and then cut the new piece to fit? So I won't be using the whole piece itself but a big cut out section so I won't have weld to the a pillars and all? From your experience is that do-able/easier shortcut or am I just wasting my time and thought? Thanks for your input!

Aqua,
Yeah man I saw your windshield repair work and so far that's my "back-up" plan. Looks good man I'm just the type of fix it yourself and your way is a very viable way. Hmm...

-lessline99

Last edited by lessline99; 01-17-2016 at 05:26 PM.
lessline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #29
312d

yes it can be done!! you just have to evaluate how much van is rotten, i did it also on another older van, but the damage wasn't really bad, i just like things to be the best they can be, the workmanship on other body shops i have known is less than acceptable, that is why i do prefer to do it myself. I have known (heard)cases where the repair was not done propperly resulting in windshield cracking after the repair was done due to structure stress or not taking into account the heat expansion and body flexing.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37815
israndy (01-18-2016), lessline99 (01-17-2016)
Old 01-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #30
sweetmarias_t1n

I had a body shop fix this with the windshield out. I just accepted the window shops recommendation on the body shop. BIG MISTAKE. I would have done this way differently and NOT used any body filler as some others here also avoided. It just masks developing rust. Anyway, I feel like DIY is better on this than what most Body shops (except real sprinter-oriented shops) would offer. Now the rust is back a year later, 800 for the bondo job is wasted, and I have to get rid of that cake of filler to see what’s really going on under there. Bah!