Passenger Storage Cubby Install & SRS Light

toast

Had a few broken air vents so I thought I’d install this Euro storage cubby in my USDM T1N. Cost me about $23 shipped. Install went smooth for the most part, realized half way through I’m going to activate the dreaded SRS light, which of course it did.

Any plug and play solutions for resistors in the place of airbags for these Sprinters? I know if I just clear the SRS code that’s not enough.

Once I find a resistor, can a generic code reader clear the SRS or will I need to finally pick up an Autel MD802?

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
If you measure and match the resistance of the old airbag terminals you should satisfy the SRS module, or a dealer tool can perhaps reconfigure it to ignore the missing passenger side?

Generic OBDII tools only talk to Pin 7, which is why they’re engine only. You’ll need to up your game to connect to the SRS module - I bought my MD802 to extinguish my SRS lamp after my driver airbag connector got rained on. An AP200 will also do it, but then the app takes a lot of space and is subject to iOS tossing it into the cloud...

-dave

toast

If you measure and match the resistance of the old airbag terminals you should satisfy the SRS module, or a dealer tool can perhaps reconfigure it to ignore the missing passenger side?

Generic OBDII tools only talk to Pin 7, which is why they’re engine only. You’ll need to up your game to connect to the SRS module - I bought my MD802 to extinguish my SRS lamp after my driver airbag connector got rained on. An AP200 will also do it, but then the app takes a lot of space and is subject to iOS tossing it into the cloud...

-dave

Great input. I believe it would require a 2.7ohm resistor, going to do some more research and be sure though.

Still trying to find an MD802 All Systems for sale at a reasonable price, seems like all the deals are on the 4 Systems model or the new MaxiDiag, no clue how well that works.

Cheers

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Something on the order of 2 (or 2.7) ohms should do it ... people have used the "available on the net" plug-in resistors successfully (at least for the seat belt retractor squibs).

Of course, a passenger taking out your front window with their forehead may not really appreciate the cubby.

--dick

Of course, a passenger taking out your front window with their forehead may not really appreciate the cubby.

--dick
Wouldn't the passenger need to be dumb enough not to use the provided shoulder harness with auto tension squib for that to be a problem? If you're not belted in an air bag has little value anyway.

:2cents: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Modern cars restraint systems are designed *as a system*.
The belts' freedom to move and the "slop space" you're given expect the bag to do its part.

I once bought a friend's crashed VW Squareback "for parts" ... he'd had a medium "fender bender" accident which had only crumpled the nose metal. His seat belt (and the nature of the crash) kept him from being impaled by his steering column.
(the VW's front frame had not been damaged nor displaced ... his car was "driveable")
But his head did significantly crack the windshield, leaving a decent-sized chunk of scalp and hair held by the glass.
(i don't recall if his model year had shoulder belts ... it was a few years newer than mine)

--dick

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
will I need to finally pick up an Autel MD802?

The deals for 802 are few and far between as the pro808 is the current model. If you keep an eye out you will find a deal on the 808pro but it still will be 100+$. Don’t worry, it pays for itself the first time you’re transmission goes into LHM because of an intermittent fault.

Last edited:

jrod5150

I would highly advise you to NOT test the resistance of the airbag, That could set it off. You can reconfigure the srs module with a drb3/das to a non passenger srs configuration OR you can loop in a 3 ohm resistor. Either should be fine.

Modern cars restraint systems are designed *as a system*.
The belts' freedom to move and the "slop space" you're given expect the bag to do its part.

I once bought a friend's crashed VW Squareback "for parts" ... he'd had a medium "fender bender" accident which had only crumpled the nose metal. His seat belt (and the nature of the crash) kept him from being impaled by his steering column.
(the VW's front frame had not been damaged nor displaced ... his car was "driveable")
But his head did significantly crack the windshield, leaving a decent-sized chunk of scalp and hair held by the glass.
(i don't recall if his model year had shoulder belts ... it was a few years newer than mine)

--dick
Interesting story. So his model didn't have the shoulder harness retracting squib which our Sprinters have.

I'm not saying that air bags are a bad idea. I'm suggesting that it isn't the end of the world to replace it with a cubby unit. Risk vs reward.

:2cents: vic

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Had a few broken air vents so I thought I’d install this Euro storage cubby in my USDM T1N. Cost me about $23 shipped. Install went smooth for the most part...
All you need to complete that is the rubber mat which clips into the holes in the lower face. I'll lift mine out tomorrow and post the MB number for you (assuming it has one moulded in like every other MB part seems to).

My UK registered, 2003 built T1N has neither passenger or drivers airbags so is pretty easy to work on.

Keith.

toast

All you need to complete that is the rubber mat which clips into the holes in the lower face. I'll lift mine out tomorrow and post the MB number for you (assuming it has one moulded in like every other MB part seems to).

My UK registered, 2003 built T1N has neither passenger or drivers airbags so is pretty easy to work on.

Keith.
I found that out, went ahead and ordered a new one on Cars245 for $14 shipped. Coming from Latvia though it's going to take a while to get here.

Thanks for the heads up regardless

Joe

toast

Is cars245 where you bought it at? And do they have the trim with the airbag?

No, I bought the storage cubby's rubber mat at Cars245:
https://cars245.com/en/item/mercedes-benz-9016890596-truss/

And the storage cubby trim itself on AliExpress:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_suM6ib

I'm not sure where would be the best place to get an airbag trim, I'd recommend finding the part number and just looking through all the Google results for it

See attached for a picture of the storage trim with the rubber mat installed

Attachments

Last edited:

GC1234

2006 2500 140wb
Did a 3 ohm resistor work for the SRS code? I'm in this same boat looking at cheap ebay vents and they only have the cubby style, sub $100. Do you just plug in any standard resistor with pins into the plug where the airbag attaches and thats it?

toast

Passenger Storage Cubby Install & SRS Light

Did a 3 ohm resistor work for the SRS code? I'm in this same boat looking at cheap ebay vents and they only have the cubby style, sub $100. Do you just plug in any standard resistor with pins into the plug where the airbag attaches and thats it?

Unfortunately the MD808 Pro I ordered 2 months ago ended up lost in the mail, so I haven’t had a chance to do this. I have this resistor (linked) in hand and I’m going to be trying it out as soon as a new MD808 arrives. (need a code scanner with SRS capabilities to clear SRS codes)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/261532745073

Also, the cubby I linked is way cheaper than what’s available on eBay, and it’s the same thing (eBay sellers are just resellers). Coming from China though, so it may take a month

B

billintomahawk

I have an MD 802 and have tried unsuccessfully 3 times to turn off my SRS light on my '02.

Can anyone help?

bill in tomahawk

I have an MD 802 and have tried unsuccessfully 3 times to turn off my SRS light on my '02.

Can anyone help?

bill in tomahawk
Just clearing the DTC isn't the answer. You need to repair/resolve the SRS system problem(s) and then clear the DTC's.

:cheers: vic

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)

Can anyone help?

bill in tomahawk
What codes did the SRS module have stored that caused the warning lamp? You’ll need to fix the fault before the lamp will stay down...

In my case a water leak from failed paint under the windshield got my clockspring wet, affecting the driver’s airbag circuit (and shorting my horn switch... in a drive-thru line :bash:) Once it all dried out things were okay again and I was able to clear the SRS code (and plug my horn back in)

-dave

sipma02

Currently full time in the van

Can anyone help?

bill in tomahawk
I'm sure there are a million reasons the SRS light comes on. In my case, the pair of wires going to the drivers side seatbelt ignitor (ignitor is located in the seatbelt retractor) was rubbed through. It was rubbed through right where the wire goes up from the floor and goes into the wall of the van behind the drivers seat, behind the plastic trim panel. Probably shorted out and caused an error.

That was more difficult to explain than I thought! Here's a (not so great) pic, wire circled in red:

IMG_1331.jpg

The wire is pulled out that far because I hadn't put the panel back in. It should be tighter against the side of the van.

Once I fixed it, (crimped and heat shrinked the wire) I reset the Airbag module via an Autel AP200. SRS light has been off for a few hundred miles now! Make sure to secure the wire so it doesn't rub through again.

EDIT: @Nautamaran Good call on asking what the code is. I'm probably sending him on a wild goose chase ;) For the record, my code was 5-064 (Ignition circuit of the driver emergency tensioning retractor has high impedance) so as soon as I saw the rubbed through wires, I knew I was onto something.

Last edited:

Top Bottom