DIY Cloned Keys - Clone and Cutting Machines

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
My Zed Bull cloner finally arrived today and the 2 blanks came a few weeks ago. I cut them immediately and was finally able to program them. The process is foolproof and the van started right up!! It seems that most second hand T1N’s only have one key and I was no exception. I’ve been anxious about this for two years but not anymore! Anyone in the Philadelphia region who wants keys, PM me. I can cut and program for you for a very reasonable price, especially if you supply you’re blanks.

Larms

I also bought the zed bull cloner. My question is. shouldn't the clone have the same data exactly once copied? It doesn't read the same as the original which was broken off. I was able to remove the broken piece.

Last edited:

Boeingpilot

I also bought the zed bull cloner. My question is. shouldn't the clone have the same date exactly once copied? It doesn't read the same as the original which was broken off. I was able to remove the broken piece.
Yes the data should be the same if so remember correctly. I’m not home but will pull the clone out when I get home and check it

Larms

Yes the data should be the same if so remember correctly. I’m not home but will pull the clone out when I get home and check it
Any chance to check this? I'm putting everything back together in my steering column right now. I had to replace the multi-function switch. I have high beams once again :bounce:

dgcope

I'm in Athens GA. I also own a key cloner and will happily do key programming for a small fee. Happy to also do it via mail if you don't mind the risk.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
I also bought the zed bull cloner. My question is. shouldn't the clone have the same data exactly once copied? It doesn't read the same as the original which was broken off. I was able to remove the broken piece.
The fob key read differently than the cloned key for me but it still worked. I think that’s because of the transmitter for the remote locking. The keys cloned properly but the only real test is to try them in the ignition. There are actually two chip signals from the fob key, one to work the doors remotely and one to start the engine.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
For the T1N, the remote lock is a battery-powered gadget. If you're not pushing the button, it shouldn't be broadcasting.
BUT .. .that doesn't mean that some bits of its circuitry might not "ring" given the cloner's test pulse.
BUT you'd think that would confuse the Sprinter's RFID pulse, too.

--dick

Dr. No

IF you're in New Mexico, Bill's Lock and Key in Albuquerque has a cloner, and happily cut&cloned my two eBay steel blanks for $15 each. The local deal thought they could get to me before August, and that I should plan to leave it for 2-3 days...

FYI:

We have many of the ebay blanks cut and clone properly. They work until they snap off in a door lock. Our door locks are stiff and they are not quality metal.

High quality Kaba Ilco transponder blanks are inexpensive online. Search for YM15T5-SI. The corresponding non-transponder key blank is MB17.

@Boeingpilot, the Zed Bull cloner is hot tip. Thank you!

stirlings

I’ve been getting a start error still and a page saying use T5 chip when I’m trying to copy from my main key. This is unusuall because the key was ordered and cut by Mercedes. Any idea what may be wrong?

EDIT: After seeing that I can't rewrite a key and that I already have a code on the key I got from MB looks like I'm SOL on this one unless they write over it or I figure out a way to erase the code. It does look like you can buy blank T5 transponders on ebay and the like, if one of those could be mounted to a key then it could be a workaround

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I’ve been getting a start error still and a page saying use T5 chip when I’m trying to copy from my main key. This is unusuall because the key was ordered and cut by Mercedes. Any idea what may be wrong?

EDIT: After seeing that I can't rewrite a key and that I already have a code on the key I got from MB looks like I'm SOL on this one unless they write over it or I figure out a way to erase the code. It does look like you can buy blank T5 transponders on ebay and the like, if one of those could be mounted to a key then it could be a workaround
MB does not sell "rewritable" keys ... their model is to sell a key with a new burned-in chip, and then the dealer's diagnostic system tells the Sprinter to accept it.

The key blanks you buy elsewhere in the world for after-market usage have *different electonics* inside. They're *designed* for coding the RFID chip out in the field.

--dick

Nikg736

WOW!!! This is an awesome thread. I read through several others last night and things got very confusing (and being really tired didn't help).

I recently bought a 2002 Freightliner 140" high roof that came with only one key of course. It is the flip type key with remote entry that works intermittently. I was considering doing the "glue the RFID chip to the ignition" route so I wouldn't have to ever deal with not being able to start the vehicle, but if you do that it appears you can never use the remote functions of the key.

I am a DIY-er at heart, so the idea of cloning my own keys is right up my alley. My two biggest questions revolve around the key blanks and the Zed Bull cloner. When I click on the original link for the cloner, it appears that it is no longer there.
*I have seen other Zed Bull cloners on eBay. Some are red, some are black, some say "smart", some say "mini" and they all say "no tokens needed"--whatever that means?? But they all look the same. Can I assume that any of these will do the same thing and just order the cheapest one?
*Key blanks on eBay are supposedly pretty weak. Somebody suggested getting Ilco brand. Does anybody have a current link to genuine Ilco brand (or other strong) key blanks with the chip in them? Looking for key blanks that can be cut locally, not the steel ones that nobody will cut. Also, I am not looking for RKE keys...just the regular ones. I like RKE, but honestly if I have to manually lock/unlock the vehicle it's not that big of a deal.

Fletch9871

Nikg736...I purchased my programmer on ebay and it called a "Mini Zed-Bull" and was ~$40.00. I've used it about a dozen time without fail for Sprinter keys. I've also used it about 7-8 times to clone other random/compatible keys.

A few words about the different functions of the RKE fobs. They operate with 2 completely independent systems. There is an embedded RFID chip which satisfies the SKREEM and allows the van to start. The other system is a wireless transmitter which provides a signal for the RKE lock/unlock/panic functions. Neither of these, to my knowledge, can be programmed with consumer level equipment and require dealer level equipment to pair new RFID key codes and "marry' a new FOB to the ECU. When the dealer marries the RKE portion of a FOB, the serial number/code of that FOB is removed from the available pool of devices and can NOT be added to a different van.

The zed bull works because its cloning the RFID chip and SKREEM/ECU thinks the original and clones are all the same key. The blanks I used were purchased on ebay. Here is a link to a thread I started with links and info: T1N Keys | Mini Zed-Bull Programmer

Keep Rolling...Chris

Last edited:

3Play

I bought ebay chip keys for 3 for $25 and took them to a lock shop in Burlington Wa. and also to an Ace in Tucson.
Both places charged $12 to clone them. Before I deleted the immobilizer/skreem, I took the cloned chip out of a key and taped it
to the column right above the keyed switch. The chip needs to be within an inch or 2 of the ring around the key slot, then a non chip key will work.

Nikg736

It looks like the Zed Bull unit that you linked in that thread is no longer active. But I am just going to go ahead and assume they are all about the same...probably all coming from the same Chinese factory. So I am going to order a few blanks and a Zed Bull unit then try to get a local hardware store to cut the blanks. I have no idea why there is such a variation in prices to cut these things. Some say $30+ to have one cut and others say $3. If it is a regular blank (not steel) and there is no promise of anything with the RFID chip etc...then I see no reason why it would cost so much.

There are a ton of those Zed Bulls...looks like ones from China are about $40 these days and shipped from US is about $45. I'll pay the extra $5
What y'all think...the red ones or black ones work better? :)

These keys ok? Should I get more than 2 just in case? The 5-key deal Fletch9871 had linked is now $51, so getting three of these 2-pack deals for a total of 6 keys would still be cheaper. I think I might just go ahead and get 4 total keys just in case cutting gets screwed up...for the extra $13 why not.

Fletch9871

Nikg736...Getting the keys cut was the hardest part of this process for me. It took me a while to find a hardware store that would/could cut them properly. They charged quite a bit more than I would have liked but I had already invested 3-4 hours trying to find someone to cut the keys. At that point I just wanted to get it done and stop worrying about only having 1 key. I deemed the ~$100.00 to be worth it.

If you find yourself without at least 1 working key to clone from the only option is a trip/tow to the dealer. That's assuming there is a dealer you can get to. After that it's going to be a couple days for them to get the new key/fob. Then they'll have to program it. All said and done it's probably going to be well north of $500.00 and take several days.

Some folks like to hide a dumb key (cut but not programmed) somewhere on the outside/under the van in case of a lockout. You can also hide a programmed but uncut key somewhere inside the van. This would require both to make off with your van: use the cut key in the ignition and hold the programmed uncut key next to it and start the van. Once the SKREEM has validated the key and engine is running it no longer communicates with the key.

I use a scenario similar to above if I need to leave the van running unattended (animals inside on a hot day). I'll use the dumb key in the ignition and my spare (programmed and cut) key next to it to start then engine. I'll leave the dumb key in the ignition with engine running and use my spare key to lock the van. My thinking is if someone steals it they'll be out of luck if they turn it off. I hate having to do this (leaving the van unattended) when I have the animals with me but occasionally there is no other option. That being said most thieves won't bother with a vehicle with a dog inside so there's that.

Keep Rolling...Chris

autostaretx

Erratic Member
To get a proper cut of the key, the cutter has to register against the "shoulder", not the "tip " of the key:

KeyIlcoMB17.jpg

--dick

Nikg736

So...any feedback on those Zed Bull devices? All the same? And those keys look OK? I want to order this stuff ASAP.

I'm actually now thinking that maybe I get 4 keys for $26 off eBay and try to have them cut.
OR
Just get two keys off eBay and have them cut. If they work, then great. If not then get the regular old non-chip Ilco MB17 and have that cut. Program the eBay chips either way, and that way at the very least I will have 3 working transponders to be able to start the vehicle. Maybe leave one hidden within the van at all times, so if forced to use a "dumb" key to get in then can always have a transponder to start the vehicle.

Top Bottom