Options If Ordering New 144" WB?

Hoffsquared

Hello,

I have been viewing posts on this forum for about 6 weeks now to learn as much as I can about converting a van. I am the researcher and my husband, as he puts it, is the labor :)smilewink:).

We have not yet decided whether we will buy a used 144" WB, a new whatever might be on the lot 144" WB, or order one.

We are looking to do our own van build that will include having a nice comfortable ride, roof fan, 12V refrigerator, 200-400W of solar, carry two bikes off the back, and maybe carry a canoe. We will be mixing our travel with camping at sites w/ and w/o electric, staying with relatives and friends, and the occasional hotel.

So I have a few questions.

1. If we were to buy one off the lot at a nearby (or relatively nearby) dealer what would be must have packages (if any) and options? Options included seem to be all over the place or non-existent. It would be a real bummer to buy one off the lot only to find out that it does not have something that we should have looked for at a bare minimum.

2. If we were to order one, what options should we include to really take advantage of a custom order (beyond being able to get a non-white van)? I've used the Build a Van tool and have generally included the Comfort Package, Driver Convenience Package, Comfort Plus Package, Swivel Seat Package, trailer hitch, mounting rails for roof rack, passenger window, roof fan. I ponder including the Premium and Premium Plus package since they are nice but not essential. I have been using the 2019 Ordering Guide to help with this puzzle.

Thanks for all the information I've already found here and for any information in the future.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
I have taken 100% bare base cargo vans and converted them. No issues

The options I personally like
Comfort seats
Convenience package
swivels (cheaper than aftermarket)
Roof rails
Relay for second battery
Multifunction wheel

The rest is whatever to me

IPT

We live in cold weather, so heated seats, windshield, and the preheater were for sure. Don't remember all the packages we got but I think the comfort package was one. Even the 144" is big, so the parktronics was good for us too. I was on the fence about that until I recalled the wife once backed into a bolder because she "didn't see it" :).

Not sure you can get the swivels from the factory anymore. We did go with the second battery. I understand that if you are going all in on an electrical system that may or maybe not be the best choice (since some or all might might be replaced). Factory trailer hitch option is also way cheaper than aftermarket and if you using a bike rack from the hitch that would be a no brainer. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
We live in cold weather, so heated seats, windshield, and the preheater were for sure. Don't remember all the packages we got but I think the comfort package was one. Even the 144" is big, so the parktronics was good for us too. I was on the fence about that until I recalled the wife once backed into a bolder because she "didn't see it" :).

Not sure you can get the swivels from the factory anymore. We did go with the second battery. I understand that if you are going all in on an electrical system that may or maybe not be the best choice (since some or all might might be replaced). Factory trailer hitch option is also way cheaper than aftermarket and if you using a bike rack from the hitch that would be a no brainer. Thats all I can think of at the moment.
all four of my vans have swivels

agree on the hitch

Island Jim

I bought a left over 2014 hi roof in spring 2015. It had the bare minimum of options but was a bargain! I have added roof rails trailer hitch and backup camera in addition to a full conversion. I would definitely want a trailer hitch, roof rails and cruise control but the rest sure add up and are not totally necessary.

jostalli

From the factory? What year? We were told for our 2018 we couldn't get it from the factory in any version (crew etc). We had to do aftermarket.
You can order a VS30 with factory swivels. You could have also ordered a NVC3 with factory swivels. We have a 2018 4x4 at the shop now with factory swivels.

ddunaway

Regarding the factory swivels, even in 2015 there seemed to be confusion. My dealer, who also ordered for Outside van, said that it was officially a fleet option. He knew how to do it though. It was not possible to select on the computer....had to call in to add it or something. Long story short, ask a number of dealers and keep pushing.....you can probably still get that option.....just do not take your first no to be the answer.....

ddunaway

Also, I do like the step bumper which precludes the factory hitch. There is a very inexpensive hitch that goes below the step bumper.....still plenty high for my 4x4. I do wish I had ordered the factory hitch wiring. Though the aftermarket ones are very cheap and easy to install, they do not integrate with the MB "trailer pulling logic smarts" that I do not understand at all.....must do something good.

HarryN

In my mind, there is a fundamental difference between what to purchase if you are a professional upfitter vs a DIY up fitter.

A pro upfitter has a lot of specialized, expensive tools and experience that make it relatively easier to accomplish task such as making seats swivel, adding windows, adding seats, and crimping wire for an electrical system. For them, it isn't that important what they start with because they are used to just cutting a hole as needed exactly the right place and size - due to at one point in time doing it "not quite so perfectly".

Building a DIY conversion is a big project - tons of research and tons of work, and while it is all going on, it is difficult to enjoy using the van for the intended purpose. It isn't unusual for a conversion to take a year or more.

For me personally, I get no joy from cutting a big hole in the door to install a window. If you want a window in a door, consider to just buy a van that has the window already in it from the factory (example crew van). MB does a very decent job with installing a window in a door. It isn't necessarily the perfect window, but it isn't terrible either. Some people do enjoy this cutting process so it depends on your idea of how to spend your time off work.

Swivel seats are another area - in my mind they are super useful and vans can be purchased with them. They are a pain to install later - not impossible, but time consuming. Again - for me - little joy and lots of work.

If you purchase a van with the factory interior walls, it starts off from day one being usable as a van to go on a vacation of some kind. Perhaps not all of the items that you will eventually want, but usable for going camping or sleeping in - this summer. If you buy one that is barren, it might be next summer until it is far enough along to feel like using.

You can relatively easily remove the interior panels, add insulation / changes over time.

As far as 400 watts + potentially a fan, it starts to get tight on a 144 roof. Just as an example, take a look at this 170 WB we installed panels on. (customer had already installed 2 fans and painted the roof white, we we worked around these constraints) It included custom made rails that also provided a way to hang a kayak off the side.

https://squareup.com/store/WirlNet-com/item/watt-nominal-solar-system-hardware-for-pauline-h

Last edited:

Hoffsquared

Thanks everyone for input.

I think we have settled on what we want (and have found a dealer with an allocation).

What are thoughts on getting the second battery with cutoff at time of ordering? Under the hood or under the passenger seat?

Top Bottom