Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
both are aftermarket companies where a Van is supplied.. I believe you can buy complete Sprinters from Ilglhaut or bring one to them, I'm guessing Quigly is the same but starting with a 2wd which actually gives them somewhat of an advantage in the ability of designing and building the front wheel drive system...
I am just saying the completed Vans would be a better comparison vs a Quigly Transit/Factory 4x4 Sprinter....
Ingelwhat4ever you have to give them a 2wd also
70k later you have a triple locked 4x4.

So really it is like, are 2 quigleys better than one ingelhasjkhruf

IdleUp

IdleUp... do you actually own either ?? seeing as there is NO 4x4 Factory Transit, what are you basing your “knowledge” on regarding how good it is ??
just read a lot ??
Boeing says their 737 Max 8 is a fantastic airplane too... I read it online !!!
?
perhaps it would be best to actually have one and use it for awhile before boasting how great it is...
I actually own both - My Sprinter is a 2018 4x4 with a Midwest conversion and my Transit is a 19 with a Leisure Travel conversion. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sprinter, I use it for my business and its a driver . The Transit is mostly used for trips and fun. Here's an in depth article I wrote on my Sprinter:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5/midwest-designs-sprinter-4x4-in-depth-review-mike-mas-9161.html

Enjoy - Mike

Attachments

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Then you do indeed have experience with both.. but were both conversions to 4wd ??
MB hasn't really changed anything in their drive system and there is nothing from Ford on exactly what they will do in the Transit, just guesses at this point...
Inghault and Oberainger can modify existing 4wd Sprinters (in Germany) as well as convert 2wd models...
My whole point was a more honest comparison between one of the modded Sprinters and their 4wd performance compared to the Quigley 4wd and it's when both are about the same size and similarly outfitted...

rolleur

I hope the AWD transit is amazing and everyone else wants one. Maybe then Mercedes dealers will start returning my calls.

While we’re on the topic, when are the transits getting delivered? I guess I could look in the competition thread, but this one is hosed anyway.

IdleUp

Then you do indeed have experience with both.. but were both conversions to 4wd ??
MB hasn't really changed anything in their drive system and there is nothing from Ford on exactly what they will do in the Transit, just guesses at this point...
Inghault and Oberainger can modify existing 4wd Sprinters (in Germany) as well as convert 2wd models...
My whole point was a more honest comparison between one of the modded Sprinters and their 4wd performance compared to the Quigley 4wd and it's when both are about the same size and similarly outfitted...
Thanks for the reply - Only my Sprinter is 4x4. However the new Transit 4x4 or AWD will have about the same chassis I have now with the same ride and sit the same height. The only difference it will weight 640 lb more. You won't even know its 4x4 unless you look at the ID or get stuck.

While the Sprinter 4x4 is a OK system, it's far from perfect, but surely better than a 2WD system. While the Transit won't have a 2 speed gearbox like the Sprinter, 90% of owners never need or use low, unless you're doing off-road and one thing you won't be doing is tagging along any Jeep outings with your 4x4 van.

Regarding engine power and torque, transmission and ride, the Transit is years ahead of the "Dated" Sprinter. By Benz putting a 7 speed gear box in the old Sprinter and calling it "All New" is not going to modernize the van, the tranny should have been in their 5 years ago. The new dash and digital display radio is great but won't make the chassis any better.

Unlike a guy going to town and driving one every week or so to compare the two chassis, I switch mine out daily on these rough slab highways in North Georgia with plenty of mountains. The Transit engine transmission and chassis is far improved over Sprinter. Transit has a wider rear axle track, a better sprung suspension and a 8" longer wheelbase, with 50% less body roll thanks to the fact the Transit uses a low slung chassis designed for easy loading, which is the reason Ford will not raise the chassis.

For 2020, Ford will move another step ahead of its competition and equip the Transit with a new “Quiet” I-4 turbo diesel, developing 210 hp and 369 lbs of torque, and install a new 10 speed transmission from the F-150, so Sprinter has some real competition guys, Also the one thing you get that Sprinter can't give you is - ton's of dealers with cheap parts!

Regards Mike

Attachments

VanGoSki

Thanks for the reply - Only my Sprinter is 4x4. However the new Transit 4x4 or AWD will have about the same chassis I have now with the same ride and sit the same height. The only difference it will weight 640 lb more. You won't even know its 4x4 unless you look at the ID or get stuck.

While the Sprinter 4x4 is a OK system, it's far from perfect, but surely better than a 2WD system. While the Transit won't have a 2 speed gearbox like the Sprinter, 90% of owners never need or use low, unless you're doing off-road and one thing you won't be doing is tagging along any Jeep outings with your 4x4 van.

Regarding engine power and torque, transmission and ride, the Transit is years ahead of the "Dated" Sprinter. By Benz putting a 7 speed gear box in the old Sprinter and calling it "All New" is not going to modernize the van, the tranny should have been in their 5 years ago. The new dash and digital display radio is great but won't make the chassis any better.

Unlike a guy going to town and driving one every week or so to compare the two chassis, I switch mine out daily on these rough slab highways in North Georgia with plenty of mountains. The Transit engine transmission and chassis is far improved over Sprinter. Transit has a wider rear axle track, a better sprung suspension and a 8" longer wheelbase, with 50% less body roll thanks to the fact the Transit uses a low slung chassis designed for easy loading, which is the reason Ford will not raise the chassis.

For 2020, Ford will move another step ahead of its competition and equip the Transit with a new “Quiet” I-4 turbo diesel, developing 210 hp and 369 lbs of torque, and install a new 10 speed transmission from the F-150, so Sprinter has some real competition guys, Also the one thing you get that Sprinter can't give you is - ton's of dealers with cheap parts!

Regards Mike
Would you recommend a 4x4 Sprinter for the "10%" of us who do go off-road? (I actually think the number is much higher.) A low-slung chassis and omission of the low gear range on the Transit sounds exactly the opposite of what I want. I've heard mixed-reviews on the Quigley Transits both in terms of handling as well as gas mileage.

I actually haven't purchased either yet so I have an open mind, and appreciate your thoughts.

IdleUp

Would you recommend a 4x4 Sprinter for the "10%" of us who do go off-road? (I actually think the number is much higher.) A low-slung chassis and omission of the low gear range on the Transit sounds exactly the opposite of what I want. I've heard mixed-reviews on the Quigley Transits both in terms of handling as well as gas mileage.

I actually haven't purchased either yet so I have an open mind, and appreciate your thoughts.
If your set on a van rather than a truck, the Sprinter is going to be you best option if you want to get off the road and explore. It has higher overall clearance than Transit's low slung design, high profile tires, which gives you some more clearance and a 4" factory lift, which adds up to an advantage for any off the road activities. The Sprinter's 2 speed gear box is also an advantage since it can provide major torque at very low speeds for slow steep climbing, pulling a friend out of mud, a stuck trailer or a boat up a ramp. Another Sprinter asset is there is hundreds of after-market chassis options like plates and upgraded suspension parts, etc.

On the other hand the Transit's 4x4 or AWD system is more designed as an all weather feature for Georgia clay, snow or ice, rather than off road. As you look at the image below, the Sprinter also has a higher angle of attack on the nose as well for better entry.

Regards - Mike

Attachments

Flagster

Quigley (at least historically) uses proprietary/unique parts that can't be bought over the shelf...please correct me if I am wrong...brackets/spacers...etc
I would prefer stock oem parts when something breaks in the backcountry. Even in S. UT a Mercedes dealer is only a half days drive away to retrieve parts/tow...

The111

For those who have ordered new 4x4's in the past couple months:

1) How was the sale price relative to MSRP? Had a dealer today tell me they were going for $10k over... not sure I buy it. Will probably shop other dealers, but curious what deals people are getting.
2) Did you put anything down, and if so how much? Dealer today told us nothing down was required.

sanomechanic

1) How was the sale price relative to MSRP? Had a dealer today tell me they were going for $10k over... not sure I buy it. Will probably shop other dealers, but curious what deals people are getting.
2) Did you put anything down, and if so how much? Dealer today told us nothing down was required.
I paid $700 under MSRP. $1000 down. Yes there were a few dealers, especially in SoCal trying to gouge and sell for over MSPR.

VanGoSki

The 4x4 shortage is over. We have a number of dealers with build slots right in this forum selling at MSRP. Tell your dealer he lost your business.

InspiredVan

Agreed. of all 4x4s we've purchased the last 2yrs all were at List or maybe a few $ under. 500-2000 down for deposits pending dealership policy. There are definitely plenty of incoming 4x4s out there still esp if you want Black or White....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Matt Foley

Down by The River
Quigley (at least historically) uses proprietary/unique parts that can't be bought over the shelf...please correct me if I am wrong...brackets/spacers...etc
I would prefer stock oem parts when something breaks in the backcountry. Even in S. UT a Mercedes dealer is only a half days drive away to retrieve parts/tow...
From Quigley.com:

"Quigley incorporates a vast majority of Ford components, including the F-150 independent axle and automatic locking hubs, into our conversion for ease of service.

Quigley’s designs for the Ford Transit 4x4 van and Ford E-Series 4x4 van differ chiefly in the layout of their front drive axles. The E-series 4x4 uses the solid axle from the F-350 pickup truck, while the Transit 4x4 incorporates Ford's F-150 independent front axle. Both use a Magna 2-speed transfer case. Quigley's design also utilizes the F-150 auto locking hubs.

All of these components are purchased new, direct from Ford or the Ford supplier.

The various mounting brackets, hub assemblies and various other components are Quigley engineered and designed in accordance with SAE specifications. Some of these components are built in-house, and some are manufactured to exacting specifications by Quigley-approved vendors.

Conversion to Include:
Front independent axle
Front axle shafts
Front automatic hub locks
Front hub assembly
Steering
Magna transfer case
2 speed (4Hi, 4Low)
Manual shifter
4x4 Indicator Light
Drive Shafts, front and rear

Conversion to Retain if so Equipped:
OEM front suspension
OEM brake system
OEM anti-roll bar
OEM wheels & tires
Traction control
Four Wheel Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS)
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Advanced Trac w Roll Stability Control System (RSC)"

The111

I paid $700 under MSRP. $1000 down. Yes there were a few dealers, especially in SoCal trying to gouge and sell for over MSPR.
Thanks, I figured as much. Planning on just sending my desired order to a bunch of dealers anyway and going with the cheapest, but was curious what to expect. I'm in NorCal. Visited 2 dealers yesterday just to put eyes on some 4x2's and take a quick test drive. The first place was so slammed that the Sprinter guy literally told us to go home and come back in a few days, the other place was so dead that their Sprinter guy spent 2 hours talking our ear off about custom builds and about how scarce these things are and how lucky we'd be if we got an allocation. :laughing:

kfo

Thanks, I figured as much. Planning on just sending my desired order to a bunch of dealers anyway and going with the cheapest, but was curious what to expect. I'm in NorCal. Visited 2 dealers yesterday just to put eyes on some 4x2's and take a quick test drive. The first place was so slammed that the Sprinter guy literally told us to go home and come back in a few days, the other place was so dead that their Sprinter guy spent 2 hours talking our ear off about custom builds and about how scarce these things are and how lucky we'd be if we got an allocation. :laughing:
I don't think that's your best way to go about it. If you first figure out who has an allocation in your desired configuration, then it might work. I really don't think the chance of saving less than $1000 is worth potentially annoying dealers with allocations that would work for your custom build.

1. Call dealers, 2. see if they have a changeable allocation, 3. if they know what they're talking about and the words 'changeable allocation', M2CA7X etc aren't foreign to them, and they have built out changeable allocations before-tell them you want one and have them build it to your specs.

I've never had a dealer ever discuss price beyond the clear understanding its MSRP. You can probably spend 2 hours on the phone and with a computer and find 30 changeable MSRP allocations in your configuration in Southern California...go order one!! :)

The111

I don't think that's your best way to go about it. If you first figure out who has an allocation in your desired configuration, then it might work. I really don't think the chance of saving less than $1000 is worth potentially annoying dealers with allocations that would work for your custom build.
Agreed. I'm happy to pay MSRP for a waitlisted item. Just not way over. I'll send my order to the local dealer because I liked him otherwise, but I'll make it clear I'm not paying a cent over MSRP. If he balks, I'll look elsewhere. Thanks!

kfo

Agreed. I'm happy to pay MSRP for a waitlisted item. Just not way over. I'll send my order to the local dealer because I liked him otherwise, but I'll make it clear I'm not paying a cent over MSRP. If he balks, I'll look elsewhere. Thanks!
Only if he has an allocation, just want to make sure you get this. Talking to anyone without an EXISTING allocation is a waste of time. Look around in some other threads. If a dealer without an allocation submits a build and requests one for a customer, wait times are insane. 18 months? 2 years?

An existing changeable allocation will probably be ready in Jan or Feb 2020. Don’t bother unless your local dealer has an allocation with a planned production decade you physically can see in the Netstar program.

Top Bottom