Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Write-Ups

NCV3 Write-Ups Help other NCV3 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:39 PM   #11
auburnbuilder

Default Re: 2018 OEM Aux Battery Install

You do not need to even install the second wire going to the jump point under the hood.
I just did it to keep the factory jump point. You could just jump the van from the battery terminals
if you wanted or needed too.

Another picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AosoVgNoQp2Y%VchNnrEDw.jpg (82.0 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by auburnbuilder; 04-13-2019 at 10:47 PM.
auburnbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #12
aksotar

Auburn, what about the aux battery relay under the front side drivers seat ?? I'm wanting to combine my under hood aux with my starter battery then use a B2B charger and line from the back side aux battery connection under the seat to my house batteries in a box where the spare would normally go. That way I can still leave my winch attached to the battery under the hood instead of running heavy cables from the back to the winch...
I was hoping there was some connection at the relay to connect the aux line to the starter line to combine them...
I mention front and rear aux battery electrical locations under the drivers seat... the front being the relay location and several other posts have mentioned attaching house cables at a connection at the back, under the seat...
I'm hoping this makes sense and is possible... BTW, my house batteries are LiFePo4s..

Last edited by aksotar; 05-25-2019 at 06:36 PM.
aksotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:06 AM   #13
auburnbuilder

You should contact the people at this link: http://hellroaring.com/products.php
I have used there battery combiner/isolater and they work very well.
auburnbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:58 AM   #14
aksotar

Thanks, looked at their site but it's not what I have in mind...
I want to have the factory aux battery under the hood wired into the starting battery (both the same factory batteries) circuit so I'll basically have 2 starting batteries then use a B2B charger somehow thru the aux battery circuit to charge my LiFePo4s in back...
I was hoping it was as simple as some sort of jumper on the electrical rails under the drivers seat...
Old 05-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #15
TiredDog907

aksotar, could you accomplish what you are after by removing or bypassing the Main Cutoff Relay that isolates the Aux battery from the Starter battery under the driver's seat, combine the two cables on a small bus bar or similar, then hook up your B2B charger from the Aux battery hookup terminal also under the seat? Not sure if that would accomplish what you are after, but it seems like if you removed the isolation relay (which is there to separate the two batteries when the ignition is off so that if you had something hooked up to the Aux battery and ran it down it would not drain your starter battery) that would join the two together. Is it safe and practical? I have no idea.

I removed my Aux battery hookup/tie in terminal under the seat and replaced it with a with a class T fuse holder due to limited space and what I wanted to accomplish, no reason you could not do the same thing and then run your B2B charger off of that or something similar. The danger would be if you left the B2B charger on for some reason accidental or otherwise it would drain your Aux and Starter batteries since they would be now tied together.

Not sure if any of this would work for you but it is an idea to think about.

JR
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aux-battery-retrofit-guideline-NCV3.pdf (1.64 MB, 16 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to TiredDog907 For This Useful Post:
aksotar (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
aksotar

thank you ! thats is pretty much what I had in mind, was hoping for feedback/ideas/concerns... I’m a firm believer in the KISS principal but with the computer involved in pretty much everything in the vehicle it’s not, unfortunately, that simple many times...
I want the B2B charger to be “install and forget” once wired into the aux circuit..
Old 05-28-2019, 03:34 AM   #17
JIB

Thank you aksotar and Tired Dog,

I've been looking at the same thing because in a significant build-out, the aux-battery is completely underused, but having twice the cranking amps, would be nice for a 4 season build. I just hope it is the same on my 2019, when it finally gets here.

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksotar View Post
thank you ! thats is pretty much what I had in mind, was hoping for feedback/ideas/concerns... I’m a firm believer in the KISS principal but with the computer involved in pretty much everything in the vehicle it’s not, unfortunately, that simple many times...
I want the B2B charger to be “install and forget” once wired into the aux circuit..

Last edited by JIB; 05-28-2019 at 03:38 AM.
JIB is offline   Reply With Quote