How'd you do it? Transit battery connection

louisvillenoob

Hi all,
I'm debating how to connect my electrical system to the car battery. I'd like to simply connect to the car batt using a terminal fuse, wired to a Wirtcho battery isolator connected to a busbar with the rest of the system. But several other Transit owners (I know..wrong forum, but this one is usually alot more helpful!) seem to use the customer connection points instead. Anyone know a reason not to go the battery terminal fuse route?

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Re: How'd you do it? battery connection

The EK1 terminal strip (i assume that's what you mean by "customer connection"...

Oh... a Transit.

So i don't know what the capabilities of the "customer connection" is/are (in the Sprinter, it's too under-fused to be a battery connection).
Certainly (with no knowledge of what anything else is in the Transit) i'd use a direct-to-battery connection for heavy currents.
(on the Sprinter, i recommend using the PDC fuse block that's bolted to the positive post)

--dick

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The Transit has either one 60 amp fused terminal on the driver seat base or the optional three CCP (customer connection points) 60 amp fused terminals on the seat base. These are directly connected to the vehicle batteries. Terminals are powered all the time. If you have only one 60 amp terminal then an inexpensive kit can be installed to make it three 60 amp terminals.

The Transit with optional dual batteries also has studs on a positive battery post and on a negative battery post. Those also can be used to connect a house load but are not fused.

So I suspect a relay could be connected to either the CCP or directly to the batteries. The problem with using the CCP is the fuses apparently are difficult to replace.

I used all three CCP's connected to a 4 position terminal block with the fourth terminal connected to a 150 amp fuse, a disconnect switch and then to the 1000 watt pure sine vehicle powered inverter. System works as expected. The vehicle powered inverter can be switched to power the charger in the Magnum house inverter/charger/transfer switch.

The advantage of this method compared to a relay is the house battery is always charged with a correct 3 stage (bulk, absorb, float) charge profile. The sold 08 Sprinter house battery lasted 9 years with similar system.

https://www.ortontransit.info/vehicle-inverter

Top Bottom