Home Depot Sprinter battery for your Sprinter.

JoeyB

Thanks for posting!! I am actually in need of a new battery and considering getting one today.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
WARNING: ... since no one knows HD sells batteries, their in-store stock can be over a year old.

Check the build-date on the battery itself (it's a sticker on the side) before buying it.

Note the "3 year guarantee" ... our Home Depot uses register tapes that fade with age... photocopy your paperwork when you get it to a more permanent medium.

--dick

Note the "3 year guarantee" ... our Home Depot uses register tapes that fade with age... photocopy your paperwork when you get it to a more permanent medium.

--dick
Get a Home Depot credit card. All purchases get an automatic 1-year return period, and you (can) get an email of every receipt. Much easier to search your email than piles of receipts.

D

Deleted member 50714

Please don't put that garbage battery in your Sprinter.

D

Deleted member 50714

Bob:
Not disagreeing but curious what makes you speak so strongly:thinking:
Just a vocal advocate of what I believe to optimal for my fellow Sprinter brother and sisters.

Every time I've bought an aftermarket battery, it never fit precisely. I just don't enjoy doing things twice. And, I just scared to death a battery, other than genuine, may upset the finicky electrics. Especially when I hear the battery needs to adapted.

Might not be a big deal on T1N's.

The bitterness of poor-quality will linger long after the sweetness of the low-price is forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:

cc_windsurfer

Every time I've bought an aftermarket battery, it never fit precisely. I just don't enjoy doing things twice. And, I just scared to death a battery, other than genuine, may upset the finicky electrics. .
So just to be clear, this is not an informed opinion based on the specific strengths and weakness of the product mentioned

D

Deleted member 50714

So just to be clear, this is not an informed opinion based on the specific strengths and weakness of the product mentioned
Not specific product mentioned, aftermarket batteries in general. Twice burned, nuff for me.

Supplemental: The "savings" between a cheap and genuine battery will certainly be erased by the expense and aggravation of 1 tow.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeyB

Just a vocal advocate of what I believe to optimal for my fellow Sprinter brother and sisters.

Every time I've bought an aftermarket battery, it never fit precisely. I just don't enjoy doing things twice. And, I just scared to death a battery, other than genuine, may upset the finicky electrics. Especially when I hear the battery needs to adapted.

Might not be a big deal on T1N's.

The bitterness of poor-quality will linger long after the sweetness of the low-price is forgotten.
I was going to get this HD battery initially but they did not have it in my local store.

I replaced my battery with a group 49 Gold AutoCraft battery from Advanced Auto Parts. Fit fine with the brackets/battery connections. No problems thus far - but worth noting I have a T1N. They also included a little terminal corrosion prevention kit -- installed it because why not. Took the time to clean up the grounds just above the - terminal with a wire brush too. It actually fixed an issue I've been having with my backup camera where the colors have been inverted. I thought it was a bad connection on the camera's end -- ended up being a bad ground on the battery.

D

Deleted member 50714

I was going to get this HD battery initially but they did not have it in my local store.

I replaced my battery with a group 49 Gold AutoCraft battery from Advanced Auto Parts. Fit fine with the brackets/battery connections. No problems thus far - but worth noting I have a T1N. They also included a little terminal corrosion prevention kit -- installed it because why not. Took the time to clean up the grounds just above the - terminal with a wire brush too. It actually fixed an issue I've been having with my backup camera where the colors have been inverted. I thought it was a bad connection on the camera's end -- ended up being a bad ground on the battery.
I have to ponder, how many times it's only a simple ground issue, but people are charged for expensive parts and labor that are never installed?

glasseye

Not specific product mentioned, aftermarket batteries in general.
The HD battery is Frito’s fourth, and his third “aftermarket”, battery. All have performed identically under similar operating conditions.

His first, one bearing the Silver Star logo, cost over $400 when I naively specified it as I took delivery of Frito @ 9800 miles in Mesa, AZ in 2008.

That’s more than what I paid for the other three combined.

YMMV. :idunno:

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
Whatever I purchase at HD, I pay 10% less than the price. It cost me $1 to have this discount. So, this battery I can have for $119.13 including tax.
I guess some people order it from MB dealer to have "premium" box filled with lead and acid. And it fits perfect, they can even close the hood.
Well, my hood is a little open, but still, van is drivable.

Last edited:

hoosierrun

I bought an Exide AGM battery for another vehicle. After a year and a half, the capacity was reduced so much that the battery would not start the vehicle after 3 days. The battery tested good for voltage, but an extended discharge test indicated about 10 to 15 AH capacity (good for a few starts, but inadequate after vehicle sat un-started for 3 days). I called the online seller and they told me to contact Exide. I called Exide and they told me to work with the seller. The seller insisted it was an Exide problem. I never could get this resolved. There was no local seller of these AGM batteries and it was not practical to pay shipping both ways to the Exide facility in Georgia. At that time Home Depot was not selling Exide. I basically lost $200 on this battery purchase. I should have known better. Exide had a terrible reputation of making inferior batteries and that was evident when K-Mart was selling them. My wife worked in the automotive department at one of the stores and told me that they had dozens of returns each month. My opinion of Exide is very low and based on my most recent experience, I would avoid them altogether.

EDIT: Apparently I'm not the only one. I just found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17H94DHNk4U

Last edited:

Top Bottom