Anyone managed to connect a scan gauge to 16+ sprinter?

damien89

Tried connecting mine to my 17 euro spec sprinter but unfortunately stays in the connecting screen and then shuts off. Anyone experience this?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In another thread someone quoted the LinearLogic troubleshooting information.

Primarily it was "manually set the communication protocol" instead of leaving it to snoop it out on its own.

No one reported "results" of that hint ... so use the buttons to get to the appropriate SETUP screen, and try the different protocols.

And then please report back.

--dick

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
In another thread someone quoted the LinearLogic troubleshooting information.

Primarily it was "manually set the communication protocol" instead of leaving it to snoop it out on its own.

No one reported "results" of that hint ... so use the buttons to get to the appropriate SETUP screen, and try the different protocols.

And then please report back.

--dick
Correct Dick,

It was me replying to Damien following on from his comment on post 15 of this thread...

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65480&page=2

His last comment then was that he was going to email Linear Logic but never posted a follow up.

Keith.

damien89

Correct Dick,

It was me replying to Damien following on from his comment on post 15 of this thread...

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65480&page=2

His last comment then was that he was going to email Linear Logic but never posted a follow up.

Keith.
Hi everyone, i did email linear logic and there response was to try another scangauge, which i did and the result was the same (stays connecting), at that point they suggested that i take it to someone that has more sophisticated obd reading hardware and see if we manage to make a connection with obd system. Now when i was buying the sprinter the dealership hooked the xentry computer and worked perfectly. So im beginning to believe that mercedes has devised a way to keep us out of the system.

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
Does it connect to a different vehicle's OBDII? Can you try another (gas powered) vehicle to see if it's the SGII, or the Sprinter's OBDII ?
Also, mine works with my Sprinter cab chassis, but I sent it to Linear Logic to get the firmware/software upgraded/flashed to 4.22+ level so it would work with the custom X-Gauges created by G. Chappell and James DeLong (of LL).

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Damien: did you *try* forcing the communications protocol?

(if you have a 2nd pre-2016 NCV3 available, you can snoop the ScanGauge to see what protocol IT chose)

--dick

damien89

Does it connect to a different vehicle's OBDII? Can you try another (gas powered) vehicle to see if it's the SGII, or the Sprinter's OBDII ?
Also, mine works with my Sprinter cab chassis, but I sent it to Linear Logic to get the firmware/software upgraded/flashed to 4.22+ level so it would work with the custom X-Gauges created by G. Chappell and James DeLong (of LL).
Yes it does, the other scangauge that i tried works all day long on my transit.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
But will this ScanGauge work on your Transit or the one off your Transit work on your Sprinter?

Winterbagoal

Yes it does, the other scangauge that i tried works all day long on my transit.
So, you have 2 X Scangauges? You say "the other scangauge" works on another vehicle. Your Transit.
I meant you should try the same SGII that won't connect to your Sprinter, on a different vehicle, preferably gas, but not critical.
Unless I'm misreading your comments.

Dammit Cheyenne, you asked my question.:cheers:

Winterbagoal

How do i force the communications protocol?
One more quick question. Is the key in the "RUN" position, or the engine running, when you get the never ending "Connecting" message?

FORCE/SELECT THE PROTOCOL:
You'd have to connect to a different vehicle with it, or it could be powered by the OBDII that it won't connect to. (I think? never tried it)
Then press "MORE" then "MORE" then "MODE".
Using the left and right arrow buttons, you can scroll through the available list of protocols that the SGII supports.

From the SGII manual troubleshooting section:

Never stops saying
“Connecting...”

Vehicle ECU not on Turn key to RUN or start engine <<<<

ECU not responding properly

Use MORE>MORE>MODE and try
Forcing the following modes:
FORD Products: PWM or CANSF
GM Products: VPW , ISO or CANSF
Chrysler Products: ISO, VPW or CANSF
Volvo Products: ISO, CANSF or CANLF
Others: ISO, KWPS, KWPF, CANSF,
CANLF, CANSS or CANLS

Where to Get Support

Online: www.ScanGauge.com/support
www.facebook.com/ScanGauge
Toll Free: 1-888-433-5664
E-mail: support@linear-logic.com

damien89

So, you have 2 X Scangauges? You say "the other scangauge" works on another vehicle. Your Transit.
I meant you should try the same SGII that won't connect to your Sprinter, on a different vehicle, preferably gas, but not critical.
Unless I'm misreading your comments.

Dammit Cheyenne, you asked my question.:cheers:
I'll try that, thanks!

damien89

One more quick question. Is the key in the "RUN" position, or the engine running, when you get the never ending "Connecting" message?

FORCE/SELECT THE PROTOCOL:
You'd have to connect to a different vehicle with it, or it could be powered by the OBDII that it won't connect to. (I think? never tried it)
Then press "MORE" then "MORE" then "MODE".
Using the left and right arrow buttons, you can scroll through the available list of protocols that the SGII supports.

From the SGII manual troubleshooting section:

Never stops saying
“Connecting...”

Vehicle ECU not on Turn key to RUN or start engine <<<<

ECU not responding properly

Use MORE>MORE>MODE and try
Forcing the following modes:
FORD Products: PWM or CANSF
GM Products: VPW , ISO or CANSF
Chrysler Products: ISO, VPW or CANSF
Volvo Products: ISO, CANSF or CANLF
Others: ISO, KWPS, KWPF, CANSF,
CANLF, CANSS or CANLS

Where to Get Support

Online: www.ScanGauge.com/support
www.facebook.com/ScanGauge
Toll Free: 1-888-433-5664
E-mail: support@linear-logic.com
Yeah i tried all that even with the engine running, stays in the connecting screen then shuts down.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Yeah i tried all that even with the engine running, stays in the connecting screen then shuts down.
Ok.... then what i'd do (on a day i was willing to trudge through "tedious, unrewarding") is plug it into the Transit ... where it will connect.
Then, still on the Transit, go into the menu system and tell it to use an MB-likely protocol.
(the LinearLogic instructions actually say that, but it's not obvious at 1st/2nd/3rd glance)(well, it took me 4)

(i don't have an NCV3 available, but i'll go out in a bit and see what my T1N is using (i think they changed the protocol during/after 2006)). *Done ... see next posting* (I'm KWPF)

Then take it back to the Sprinter and see if it's happier.

Rinse and repeat until you've gone through all the (dare i say 'likely', or shall i leave it at 'all'?) protocols

The other approach would be to call Linear Logic and ask them how to reach the :censored: protocol screen when it's stuck in "connecting..." screen. (but on 4th reading i see that they say: use another vehicle)

--dick

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
OK.... my 2005 T1N uses the "KWPF" protocol.

Here's the scangauge manual for finding/forcing the protocol ("mode"):

ScanGaugeModes.png

... so it involves tapping the More button *twice* in rapid succession to get there,
then tapping the MODE button on the upper left.
(according to my manual, the Mode button is accessible when it's saying "Connecting...", but i couldn't test that)
...but you do need the key to be in the Run position.

If you do choose to manually select a Mode, run through the choices by tapping either button to the side of the displayed Mode.
When you reach one you want to try, press the FORCE button ... that locks it into the ScanGauge's memory.
That way it will be remembered as you trot the ScanGauge back from the Transit to the Sprinter.

good luck
--dick

damien89

OK.... my 2005 T1N uses the "KWPF" protocol.

Here's the scangauge manual for finding/forcing the protocol ("mode"):

View attachment 105970

... so it involves tapping the More button *twice* in rapid succession to get there,
then tapping the MODE button on the upper left.
(according to my manual, the Mode button is accessible when it's saying "Connecting...", but i couldn't test that)
...but you do need the key to be in the Run position.

If you do choose to manually select a Mode, run through the choices by tapping either button to the side of the displayed Mode.
When you reach one you want to try, press the FORCE button ... that locks it into the ScanGauge's memory.
That way it will be remembered as you trot the ScanGauge back from the Transit to the Sprinter.

good luck
--dick
Thanks!! Will have a go again at it tonight.

sailquik

Guys,
I was able to simply hook up a Scan Gauge II in the 2019 Demo Van I wrote about.
I did about 75 miles (40 without the SGII) and 35 with a Scan Gauge II that had last been
used (and set up for) an earlier Sprinter (2012 I think).
Not all the PIDs worked, but the important ones like % engine Load (LOD), Engine RPM, MPH,
MAP, etc. seemed to work just fine.
I didn't need to change any protocols or anything else.
I just plugged it in to the much easier to access OBD-II port and it worked.
Hope this helps,
Roger

autostaretx

Erratic Member
While working with another member's 2008, i was able to test my ScanGauge ...

(a) when it's showing "Connecting...", the "MORE" button *is* active, and can be walked to the MODE setup screen.

(b) the 2008 uses the CANSF setting for MODE (automatically detected in this 2008 case)

--dick (whose T1N uses KWPF)

damien89

Have you had any luck with this?

I have the same issue with my 2016 316 4x4 sprinter.

I have tried switching the SG to different protocols with no success. The same SG works perfectly on my other car :idunno:

Cheers,
Jim

Top Bottom