NCV3 Identification, Miles, Months and Opinion

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Contractor's request for reliability thread using few words and coded, digital fields is cool and I respect it.

However, I thought that forum guests and members might appreciate an NCV3 owner/operator satisfaction thread.

This thread's not about details, it's about displaying an overall impression of the Sprinter over miles and months of operation.

This thread's purpose is to allow readers an opportunity to to glance at postings and come away with an impression.

There are many threads and individual postings on Sprinter-Source that lend themselves to lengthy debates, conversations, "deeper, more heady/thoughtful" exercises, so let those exist elsewhere.

I'll close the thread if it begins to drift from this mission.

-Jon

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
NCV3 Identifcation: 2007 Cargo, Diesel
Miles: 8900
Months: 10.5
General Opinion: Glad I bought it; wouldn't sell it for a realistic price.

unimog

2009 170inch passenger with most of the available options. 9500 miles in 8 months. Very pleased overall

Barrelsaver

2008 NCV3 Cargo 144" Diesel. 7300 miles since I bought it new 8 months ago. Overall I'm well pleased and its getting 19-21mpg.

The only real issue is a repeated (it seems to happen at about 10-15mph, 5-6 times now) "thud" and down shift noise in from the Transmission....It acts like more than one clutch is try to engage at the same time! I see others have pasted a similar experience.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
NCV3 V6 5 Tonne
My year 2006 Based in Katherine Northern territory, under contract. This van has covered one hundred and seventy thousand miles Plus.. apart from Brake Replacement twice at the front, once for the rear, and as to designated oil changes, and maintenance periods etc.the van has proven to be faultless. Never broken down or gone into a fault code.
Average fuel consumption is 23 MPG Dirt Roads, therefore speed is reduced to 65 Miles per hour. Very pleased with My Benz investment.Kind of wish I had it In Tas, instead of My Old Tin, :drool:
Richard
Katherine_location_map_in_Northern_Territory.PNG

Last edited:

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
2007 2500 passenger diesel
29,200 miles since April 13, 2007
Options: rear air, heavy duty alternator

Opinion: LOVE it; love the room, the fuel economy is okay for what it is (19ish lifetime, I only have my fuel economy up to 20,000 miles and 4,434 miles were while I was towing,) but HATE that I have gone through 2 center bearings, an intake air temp sensor, and a crankshaft positioning sensor (the two sensors both left me dead while driving.) Not fond of the service departments I have used so far. Given my choices between minivan, minivan, or minivan, this is a nice choice and I would go with it again.

bikergar

2008 2500 CRD High Roof Crew Van

4 months, 3500 miles, no problems. Every fillup has been between 19 and 22 with most at 20.5 to 21.

I would rather drive it with 2000 lbs in the back than empty on rough roads.

This is the perfect vehicle for my application.:thumbup::thumbup:

gary

GreenSprinter

2008 2500 170 WB, High Roof Diesel
Options: Aluminum wheels and the 22B package.
Purchased March 2008; 9550 miles; no problems.

For my application, I didn't need weight capacity, I needed volume.

I regret not getting the suspension seats and that I didn't know about the forum before buying the Sprinter which might have eliminated my regret.

speedyb

2007 high roof 170" v6 diesel

purchased June/07 123k (yes 205,000.kms)
Love it and have had no major issues with this van. I have a few extras on it (air seats what a pleasure to have )and other than doing regualr maintenance I have yet to have it into a dealer other than it had a recall here in Canada ...it does have a couple of what I consider design flaws that I would love to see changed. Would not hestiate to purchase another one!!!

Last edited:

vitola231

Purchased June07 also, best machine I have ever worked out of, had more than my fair share of problems but lets face it, thats just the luck of the draw! Its nimble, good view, I can stand in it. I couldnt go back to a domestic, this is just too well designed. About 12.5 to 13.5 ltr per km which feels good to me!

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Picked up our 2008 in January of this year, have only put 3000 miles on it since. Love the way it drives with the Koni's on the rear, wish i'd gotten the sway bars. Getting about 21.5 MPG overall. Lots of options, a few i like and some i wouldn't bother with again.
When the camper conversion is finished, i might sell this one and do a short wheelbase version, and now that i'm more familiar with the intricacies of buying these things, i'll get it right next time.
Jef

blade625

Diesel-dumb...
2007 144" 2500 cargo. 16,500 mi. Avg 18-20 mpg

Very happy with this unit [as I was with my previous '05]

Basically trouble free. If I could change anything, I would prefer the T1N 5 cylinder motor, and axle pkg. I had in my '05.

That said, I much prefer the new body, especially the taller side door.

And, I wish this one had cruise control

Nhuskys

'08 3500 144" purchased 5/08 10,300 miles 19.5-22.5 mpg Van is always loaded, GVW 8200 lbs

Best work truck I've had in 30 years in my trade. 3 random check engine lights, that reset themselves in about 70 miles. Dodge dealers are the worst thing about it!
Norman

ferratilis

2007 144" diesel, passenger model, 8000 miles.
Shifter was replaced at 5k miles, low air pressure in tires reset.
Started out at about 17 mpg, now I get 20+, same driving and load.
Irks: Some of many
Interior pretty spartan and cheap looking
No cruise control
No opening windows in rear passenger area
The indicator light on the A/C button is backwards (the light is on when the a/c is off, and off when the a/c is on :idunno:)
Overall pretty satisfied.

hunghua

MAXIVAN
2008 144" tall roof, passenger wagon. Typically hit 20mpg-22mpg on freeway overall avg 18.5mpg. Kids love it, lots of compliments even from teenagers, neighbors hate it because of the size :tongue:
7,100 miles
3 egr replacements all under warranty
5 times in the shop for faulty parking sensors all under warranty
28 days in the shop within first 4 months of ownership for above 2 items
filed lemon law with attorney after Dodge failed to return my calls, reached settlement and I am keeping van, offer was to buyout initially
wish I had cruise control, may add
need to quiet the interior, next project
like xenon headlights, alpine aftermarket stereo/ipod/xm/gps/bluetooth/dvd player
love heated suspension seats
didn't realize rear air was no heat until ski trip to the mountains, thought it was broke:yell:
would buy again, wish it had power sliding door option in the states

Goliath

2008 144" low-roof diesel 12-passenger wagon
Had since March 2008
14,000 miles

Our dealer had to increase his search radius to 200 miles to find one with both rear air and heat.

Things we like:
1. Roominess
2. Ride stability - it is rock solid on the windiest days, despite its HUGE profile - amazing
3. Fuel economy for its size
4. Floor can be cleaned with a mop!

Main irritants:
1. Locking system
Why does it take three button presses on the remote to unlock all the doors?
Why does it take two or three presses of the inside button to unlock all the doors?
2. Wind noise for front passnegers
3. High-pitched dental-drill-like turbo whine still has not disappeard after 14,000 miles

We love it, even our teenager!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
My odometer passed 12,000 US miles yesterday, at 13 months of ownership.

I haven't had any major problems. Minor problems include every factory cargo bay light burning out, as well as one front signal lamp (turn signal bulb) and one front parking lamp (amber light bulb).

I would buy another Sprinter CUV w/o hesitation.

Propwash

I bought it in April 2007 picked it up in August 2007 . 37000 miles averaging 22 to 23 mpg With no buyers remorse , I like driving this decked out cargo van more than my wifes Lexus for long and short distances and deffinately better than my 2 astro's. The one big draw back is the windshield being a rock magnet.......14 months old and 6 gotchas and a 10 inch crack, time to replace.

safariman32

2007 144 Low Roof
57 000 km owned 16 months
Happy with fuel economy, overall fuel economy is 21 mpg
EGR valve failed at about 45 000km
rpms too high on highway
Only vehicle I've had in 18 years that would not start below -25 c. I don't have engine preheat heater option
Oil changes are very expensive unless you do it yourself
Very good vehicle for a heating A/C contractor, lot's of room and can stand in it

James-G

313CDI 432wb High roof, everything else is standard issue.

43,000km 12 months

Excellent vehicle for my job, carries it's load very well even when it's got 2tons inside.

My only complaint is that the windscreen wiper doesn't clear the screen sufficiently on the passenger side :bow:

Top Bottom