Blooper Buildout

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Blooper Buildout Kitchen

A storage spot for the table top. This may not be the permanent solution but it will get us down the road.

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6305.jpg

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Blooper Buildout Kitchen

Made an insulated non slip pad for the Dometic CFX 50 chest fridge. The T1N exhaust and catalytic convertor run under the floor just to the passenger side of where we have our fridge. Used a scrap of 1" foam board and double sided taped household rug anti slip pad material to the foam. Then made it look better with gaffer tape ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GZE3UJ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ).

IMG_6306.jpg
IMG_6307.jpg
IMG_6308.jpg

Almost invisible once installed and the boss approves! Mounted some strap eyes and lashed it down.

IMG_6309.jpg
IMG_6311.jpg

Lord Lucan

Fantastic

Excellent build... I am also converting a 13 seater sprinter bus.

If you don’t mind - I will ‘borrow’ some of your install ideas.

Maggie and Mack, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
hi Ranch,
could you explain why you were looking for a 2006 model?
go
It is the last year of the T1N body/engine. Very simple compared to the later models mechanically and emission control system wise. There is great documentation from the factory for those early vans. http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference if you are a DIY sort of person.
It was also the year Sprinters started to take off in the USA, there are more of them than '03-'05 T1n's. I wasn't in a hurry to so I could wait for the right van. Figured I might as well get the most iconic year.
It is louder and more industrial than the modern ones. We really like it.

goinoregon

Thx for taking the time to reply. that makes sense. coincidentally, I saw a 2006 yesterday. diesel. guy wanted $22k, which seemed a bit high. I am still in the daydream stage. I need to get some fresh power out to the garage, and then I could run the power tools in a decent space. the van is the shorter version, and I think it would be considered a passenger type.

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Take your time, do your homework and test drive different styles. Getting your workshop in order is good whatever you end up doing!

Before I bought my T1N around 2010 or so, I drove to a San Diego Dodge/Sprinter franchise and asked their main van man for his opinion on what model years I should buy, considering I would be going to Baja on a yearly basis.

His response cemented my choice. He spoke of NCV owners having their vans towed back across the border because of the LSD fuel. The relative simplicity was also a factor in my buying an 06 T1N when the time came.

These days ULSD is available throughout Mexico. and good for the NCV's now that they are not limited to the northern state of Baja. There were some NCV owners on this site who got away with driving their vans further south into BCS on LSD. I suppose that could contradict what the dealer told me before I bought my T1N, but the lack of additional, and sometimes unreliable pollution controls, convinced me to buy an 06.

That choice has been confirmed over the last decade. The only situation that shut me down and caused a visit to a dealership at the time was the egr. Thanks to this forum and some suggestions on how to prolong the life of this one control, I have not had a repeat. Yet.

I plan to carry a spare in the near future for the next trip south, especially since an alternative has now been eliminated thanks to a certain poster who is thankfully no longer contributing, if his input could even be considerer a contribution. I would like to think our moderator suggested this forum had had enough of his trolling, but I suspect now that a certain tuner is gone, he is too. Good riddance. If there ever was a troll on this site, he takes the prize. Rant over. Peace out. I am well aware of a couple of others here who allied with his effort to put this out of business.

For the limited years this technology could be applied to and the increase in mpg's with a cleaner burning less sooted up manifold and engine and yes, a minor increase in nox, the value was not commensurate with the criticism that flowed every time someone inquired about trying to make their van not leave them stranded on the roadside.

For one whose road trips are mainly south of the border, this is a loss. One poster here who was fortunate to get this tune made it clear that when he drives into a State with their own smog requirements, he always removed the tune until he came into a State or a country where it was not a factor.

I would have done the same, but I snoozed and losed, time wise. I am sure this will cause some apoplexy in a few, but it needed to be said. This topic is now out of relevance with the most reliable and well known tuner gone for the so very few years it could be applied to. For those that got it in time, good on you. I am envious.

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
A few winter updates.

We added hooks everywhere. Standard coat hooks for the vertical areas and ceiling coat hooks for the undersides of the cabinet. We use these for everything.
IMG_6896.jpeg

Got a large silicon mat for the counter. Great to dry dishes and set hot pots. Can even leave light stuff there on smooth roads without worrying about it falling off.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYV1O16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
IMG_6907.jpeg

We also got some huge magnets from K&J Magnetics https://www.kjmagnetics.com/ that we use for holding up whatever to any exposed metal. Strong enough to work through the plastic factory window trim.
IMG_6908.jpeg
IMG_6909.jpeg

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
Blooper Buildout Hanging Cot

Made a better version of the girls hanging cot. About a year ago I got a cheap folding cot and cut the frame out. I used 3/4" EMT (metal electrical conduit), some scraps of Baltic ply and rope from the boat to make proof of concept. It worked great, the girl loved it but it had sharp corners and bowed in the middle too much.

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger

Ordered some Speed Rail modular pipe fittings from Grainger and some 1" schedual 40 aluminum pipe from Online Metals. Straps are bomber NRS loop straps held in place with strap eyes. Replaced one of the set screws with a 1" 3/8-16 bolt and a sleeve of vinyl tubing to protect the shock cord that goes through the end of the cot fabric. The bolt is not used to attach end bar on to the long bars, the shock cord and friction keep it in place. When I need to take it down I just unwrap the shock cord, pull off the end bars, disconnect the L-track fittings and roll it up like a burrito keeping the long bars in place. Then it stows away beside our mattress in the back of the van. There is also a self inflating Thermarest pad that goes on top of the cot to insulate and soften the cot. After swiveling around the front seats it takes 2 minutes max to set it up.

IMG_6984.jpeg

IMG_6985.jpeg

IMG_6986.jpeg

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger

My Mother-in-Law gave me a Singer Featherweight sewing machine for X-mas, so time to put it to use. Sewed up a simple pocket for a water bottle and books.

IMG_7016.jpeg

IMG_7021.jpeg

IMG_7022.jpeg

IMG_7023.jpeg

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger

Assembled and tested. My girl loves it, now she wants curtains so more use for the new sewing machine.

IMG_7038.jpeg

IMG_7039.jpeg

IMG_7040.jpeg

altaira5h

Great build! Thank you for taking the time to document it so well. I'm just starting on my 2004 140 passenger. I use a wheelchair, and so I love that it's both an easy van to ramp, and also a camper. So far we're doing a light and easy build, and I plan to incorporate a few of your ideas. I love all the windows, and you did a great job of building above and below them. Two questions: did you notice a substantial change when you swapped out the factory floor? I'm thinking to leave mine in. And two, any tips for removing the interior lights/ac vent ceiling structure? (I'm planning to leave the ac in, but will add puck lights, etc) Thank you!

Top Bottom