NCV3 AC Leaks: Class Action Lawsuit UPDATE

I had mine done in August of '16. Keeping fingers crossed that it continues to be water free. I am developing a slight noise from the compressor fan that will eventually need to be looked at. I however really don't want anyone back on that roof messing around with that unit unless absolutely necessary.

kmfltd

I have a 2016 with the same leak that Mercedes of Oxnard are refusing to cover even with my extended warranty. What is the name of the law firm that won the class action suit? Thanks.

jzf0fk

I have a 2016 with the same leak that Mercedes of Oxnard are refusing to cover even with my extended warranty. What is the name of the law firm that won the class action suit? Thanks.
Sorry to hear. Before the lawsuit, I had my roof leak repaired twice with my extended warranty. Perhaps you should check with the zone manager. Here is the contact for the attorney

Samuel P. Cheadle

Chavez & Gertler LLP

42 Miller Avenue

Mill Valley, CA 94941

(415) 381-5599

sam@chavezgertler.com

www.chavezgertler.com

Aegwyn11

Anyone with a 2015 or newer out of factory warranty (but under extended warranty) have any luck getting the repair covered? Mine is in the shop now and they're telling me it isn't covered and wanting $2k to fix it.

Seems like the class action lawsuit was launched in 2014, so us 2015 and newer ones aren't covered not because MB fixed the issue, but because the lawsuit happened before out year models existed. :yell:

Bonelaw

I am having the same situation. I bought a 2016 in Late December 2016. July of last year we had it redone under warranty. It is leaking again now and the best they are offering is a three way split with us, mercedes USA and the dealership. I am so frustrated with this.

We have the 175k mile/7 year extended warranty too.

Anyone with a 2015 or newer out of factory warranty (but under extended warranty) have any luck getting the repair covered? Mine is in the shop now and they're telling me it isn't covered and wanting $2k to fix it.

Seems like the class action lawsuit was launched in 2014, so us 2015 and newer ones aren't covered not because MB fixed the issue, but because the lawsuit happened before out year models existed. :yell:

Aegwyn11

What a joke (a bad one).

I called MB USA and they returned my call in the requisite 24 hours, but I was in a meeting so they missed me. Since then, I've called the guy back 3 times and left 3 messages, with no further call backs from MB USA. Hopefully I can get something out of them...if not, I'll just do it myself. Seems like the process isn't hard, just super tedious.

Aegwyn11

I am having the same situation. I bought a 2016 in Late December 2016. July of last year we had it redone under warranty. It is leaking again now and the best they are offering is a three way split with us, mercedes USA and the dealership. I am so frustrated with this.

We have the 175k mile/7 year extended warranty too.
I FINALLY got the MBUSA guy on the phone. I got a similar offer, minus the dealership taking any part, so my offer is 30% off the bill. I can't blame the dealership, I didn't buy the van from them (we just moved halfway across the country). At this point, I'm not sure what I'll do...I'd like to say poop on them and fix it myself, partially so I know its done right, but we're driving to the south for Christmas and it MUST be fixed before then. Not sure I have time to do it between now and when we're leaving.

:mad::mad::mad::censored::censored::censored:

Aegwyn11

I just finally looked up what all the part numbers are on the quote the dealer gave me. What a joke. A bunch of o-rings, a cable tie, a new dryer, air filter, a dash control unit for $414 (??????), and the same crap seal that the van came with. We're gonna roll the dice on the trip down south and then fix it while at the family's for Christmas. Doesn't look like that big of a job.

Aegwyn11

So what do you do if your Mercedes dealership "Can't find any information about this lawsuit" and won't fix it without payment?
Fix it yourself and do it properly. It took my dad and I about 4 hours to do the job, and that's with us pausing frequently to look at pictures on here and how-to YouTube videos. Cost was a couple of tubes of quality polyurethane caulk (we used some variant of Sikaflex commonly used in the RV industry for such jobs). The gasket MB put on is a COMPLETE joke, if you have them replace it, it WILL leak again. After sealing it properly with my dad, I think I could drive my van into a river and water wouldn't come in from those joints.

Also, we did NOT take the inside and outside units apart, so no evac/recharge necessary. Keeping them together makes the job a bit tough at times and would be impossible without a second person, but saves money and time since you aren't mucking with refrigerant.

Rock fj

I have a 2017 and just had the dealer perform the fix, so apparently this issue is all the way to the last NCV3. Weird, a company like MB can’t permanently fix this issue that shouldn’t be rocket science and will cost them lots of money.
The new version seems to have a new A/C, I wonder if they learned their lesson on the new design.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
I have a 2015 Passenger van and it is leaking... Does this class action cover me?
No. It only covers 2010 through 2014 models. And it is only in California. (I'm not sure that means vans originally sold in CA or vans registered in CA or owners in CA, so you'd need to look into that if it matters to you.)

clayisland

I came back from a 9 day vacation, it rained pretty much the whole time I was gone. Opened the door and saw gallon(s?) of water on the seat, the floor, the bed, everything on the floor near the ac unit. At the dealer now and hoping they fix under warranty.

How to dry the vehicle? it's wet and cold norcal weather, no where dry to park the vehicle. The glove box was damp to the touch inside, so it seems there is swamp like very humid environment in the van. Rent a pro dehumidifier? Fan blower? AC on full blast? plus heat?

lindenengineering

No. It only covers 2010 through 2014 models. And it is only in California. (I'm not sure that means vans originally sold in CA or vans registered in CA or owners in CA, so you'd need to look into that if it matters to you.)
Just a word of caution about what constitute a warranty/class action claim based up the general complaint of roof rainwater/condensate leakage.

MB and other manufacturers by the way, allow 1,50 to 2,00" inches of clearance between the roof structure and the headliner build . .

This allows sufficient gradient of the drain tubes to allow gravity draining .
Now some of the up fitters who appear to be most desirable (judging by the posts on this forum site) and several motor home manufactures in NA can & potentially do effectively reduce the clearance by installing their own headliner/roof garnishments.

Indeed we have come across the same with the DIY crowd installing their own interiors by the way.
If anyone who deviates from this essential 1,5 to 2,00 rule and leaks develop it WILL most likely get booted into touch by the MB dealerships & that's almost a given.

This was explained at length recently when we presented a van which had been up fitted with new interior .
It got Caesars' thumbs down--
So beware !
Dennis

jzf0fk

Last edited:

taquilapop

OMG. I just found out about this lawsuit. I have a 2012 Passenger Sprinter. I went to the dealer over a year ago checking on the roof AC leak. They didn't mention anything about that they can cover the cost of repair. They just quoted me $2,000. I still haven't fixed it. And there's water marks on the ceiling now. What the hell?! What can I do now? Can I still ask them to fix it or sue them? I'm 2nd hand owner.

Thanks for any information!

Top Bottom