Sprinter runs hot

rlent

Here is a pic of the temp gauge. I think this is getting to hot.
..... really ... do ya ? :smirk:

What does the manufacturer of the vehicle have to say about such a reading ?

Since the area on the gauge behind where your needle is, in the picture, is NOT red I wonder if that might mean something .... and have some "hidden significance" .... :rolleyes:

(FWIW, per the service manual, the engine temperature is considered to be within normal operating limits up to 250 degrees F)

This was on the highway. The temp swings more than 50 degrees in a short amount of time. This can't be good for an engine.
Really ..... izzat right ?

Hmmm ..... funny .... cause in the winter - when it's around 0F outside - my coolant temp sometime swings as much as 180 degrees (F) in a fairly short time .... :rolleyes:

There are a number of relevant questions that no one has bothered to ask in this thread, that relate to, and have some bearing on your "issue":

1. Where are you located ? (MN ?)

2. What is the ambient outside temperature when you observe this "overheating" ? (your MFD appears to be showing an outside temp of 90 ..... which is kinda warm ...)

3. What is the GVW of your vehicle ? ..... how heavy is it loaded ? ... ever had it weighed ..... since you stuck all that junk in there ? :smirk:

4. What highway speeds are we talkin' about here ? (I see significant differences in coolant temps, in the summer, as speed goes above 55 mph .... 70 mph can cause the vehicle to run much warmer, depending on other factors)

IMHO, from your description, what you are seeing is absolutely normal behavior .... I see it on my '06 2500 all the time (and you likely have a higher GVW vehicle - cab chassis - with the same engine ... that is working harder) ..... when I am running in high(er) ambient temps, at high(er) rates of speed, (running in 5th will make the engine work harder - since it is an overdrive), with the AC on, and with a high(er) payload ......

The evidence that cooling system is working properly is that it cools it right back down - when the load on the engine is removed (going back up at the light is because there is reduced airflow, due to the vehicle not moving) It will be less prone to cooling off at higher ambient temps.

Having said all that, as stated earlier, fan clutches can and do go bad ... and radiator's do clog up - in fact, I had a friend with an '05 that had it happen.

Last edited:

russostr

mine 2005 has same problems. aspecialy when ac is working. i live in CA by the way. Cleaned rediators outside. Replaced water pump, termostat, and fan clutch, nothing helped even installed manual switch for the front fan (ac fan). still overheating, even more after puting new water pump although the coolant level stay the same.

Last edited:

ahp691

The dealer has not looked at it yet. The dealer doesn't have time for 6 weeks. I think they just don't want to deal with an annoying problem when they are real busy. I have an appointment at my local garage instead to check a few things out. I am now thinking if there is a problem that its the clutch fan. Yes that tiny little engine works hard and the ac is on most of the time because I like it cold. I am in connecticut. Like I said before it has done this since it was new but seems to be going a little hotter now. I am sure the truck is at its weight limits. The gvw is 10050 lbs. I have noticed the electric fan runs at strange times. I was parked idling at the garage with the ac on, the temp gauge was around 110 and the electric fan was running. Yet when I get home and the temp is way up there around the 200 or more the electric fan will not run. I looked at the radiator witrh a small camera and didn't see a lot of debris or bugs on it.

gholley

My 2006 Roadtrek acts the same way. It is probably close to GVW to start with, but there is no change if I pull a 4000 lb trailer. The outside temp can be 70 or 100 degrees, no difference, same heating up on hills, even very short hills. then cools down quickly again. higher rpm's help keep the temp down some. My radiator is clean. I can hear the fan clutch working. The intake air temp is always way above ambient, about 20 degrees maybe. What is thermostat temp anyway? Seems there is a lot of stuff being cooled by the radiator. I am just used to my GM that is rock solid on thermostat temp. This is something I watch closely and makes me nervous. I sure would like to get a definitive answer, is this normal behavior for the Sprinter, or is there a problem I need to find? Does everyone see the same fluctuations in water temps?
thanks for this thread
Grady

rlent

My 2006 Roadtrek acts the same way. It is probably close to GVW to start with, but there is no change if I pull a 4000 lb trailer. The outside temp can be 70 or 100 degrees, no difference, same heating up on hills, even very short hills. then cools down quickly again.
Yup.

The intake air temp is always way above ambient, about 20 degrees maybe.
Where is it sensed at - before or after the turbo ?

What is thermostat temp anyway?
194°F ..... IIRC ...

Seems there is a lot of stuff being cooled by the radiator.
...... such as ?

I am just used to my GM that is rock solid on thermostat temp.
Is it a diesel ?

This is something I watch closely and makes me nervous. I sure would like to get a definitive answer, is this normal behavior for the Sprinter, or is there a problem I need to find?
Similar reports from multiple owners ..... :smirk:

Does everyone see the same fluctuations in water temps?
I do.

larfus

GO HERE PAGE http://www.berrysprinter.com/e-Fiche/Model Years/CD5/06-09/06VA.pdf PAGE #472 the little pump #12 i think that was the problem!
Had the same problem and replaced the Coolant Recirculation Pump in this diagram.fixed the problem. I have a 2005 Dodge sprinter 3500 chassis with a 14 foot box. Do not go to the dealer they will try and charge $260 + .The same part can be bought here for almost $200 less

http://store.europarts-sd.com/coolantrecirculationpump2002-2006.aspx I paid for 2 day shipping and it came out to be $107 stiller cheaper than dealer. :thumbup: i hope this helps some one.

icarus

Might not be a bad idea to check the temp with an OBDI (scan gauge) as the dash give is not really very acurate. My 08 will run stock steady at ~195, but on long grades I have seen it rise to 220 once in a while, dropping very quickly to 190 or a bit lower after creating the grade. Summer temps, long grades hve never results in temps over 225, even with a/c on.

Icrarus

Top Bottom