Tire pressure monitor reset

mbsprinter144

It wasn't on for the past 6 months. The dealer set it when my new tires were installed (not factory pressures). I guess I need to stop by dealer again. The pressure changed when I went to 5K elevation and the error has stayed on even after coming back to sea level.

Anyone know how to reset tire pressure monitor baseline?
I just looked in the owners manual for mine and reset it. With an empty van I run 49 all around and not 70 in the rear. I want the TPMS to be set for that when I am running that way.

From the 2016 manual (with a little hand formatting to fix the cut and paste - hopefully acceptable):

Restarting the tire pressure monitor
When you restart the tire pressure monitor, the currently set tire pressure are taken as reference values for monitoring.
In most cases, the tire pressure monitor detects
the new reference values automatically, e.g.
after you have:
  • changed the tire pressure
  • changed wheels or tires
  • installed new wheels or tires
However, you can also define reference values
manually as described here.
Before restarting the tire pressure monitor:
  1. Set the tire pressure to the value recommended on the Tire and Loading Information plac
    ard or the tire pressure table on the B-pillar on the driver's side (see page 250).
    Observe the notes on tire pressure when doing so (see page 250).
  2. Make sure that the tire pressure is correct on all four wheels.
Restarting the tire pressure monitor (vehicles without steering wheel buttons):
  • Turn the Smart Key to position 2 in the ignition lock.
  • Press the "M" menu button on the instrument cluster repeatedly until the display shows the following message:
    CAL- TPMS​
  • Press the "plus" button on the instrument cluster.

The display shows:
    OK TPMS​
    The tire pressure monitor activation process has begun. The tire pressures measured for
    the individual wheels are stored as the new reference values, provided that the tire pres-
    sure monitor considers them to be plausible.
If you wish to cancel the restart:
  • Press the "minus" button or the "M" menu button on the instrument cluster.
    The activation process is canceled automatically if 30 seconds elapse without input.
Restarting the tire pressure monitor (vehicles with steering wheel buttons):
  • Turn the key to position 2 in the ignition lock.
  • Press the "next" or "previous" menus button on the steering wheel until the standard display (see page 167) appears in the display.
  • Press the "up" arrow or "down" arrow button on the steering wheel repeatedly until the current pressure of the individual tires is displayed or the display shows the following message:
    Tire pres. displayed after driving for several minutes​
  • Press the "O" reset button on the instrument cluster.
    The display shows the following message:
    Monitor current tire pressure?​
  • Press the "plus" button on the steering wheel.

The display shows the following message:
    Tire pres. monitor reactivated​
    The tire pressure monitor activation process has begun. The tire pressures measured for the individual wheels are stored as the new reference values, provided that the tire pressure monitor considers them to be plausible.
If you wish to cancel the restart:
  • Press the X button on the steering wheel.

ddunaway

Through experimentation I find that 60 psi is the lowest I can run on the rear and keep warning lights happy after reset.

I had some success getting mine reset to lower pressures. Here's what I think is happening: the plausible limit check when resetting is done on absolute pressure (a bug for sure), normalized pressure is checked against normalized limits during operation.

I had been driving for several hundred miles in hot weather so absolute pressure in the rear was about 65 psi. I reset the TPMS and the new limits stuck. When the tires cooled down, pressure in the rear was about 58 psi, but no warnings.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Perfect timing! Pulled our RT SS Agile out of storage and got a TPMS warning; first time I've ever seen it. Pressures, however, are within normal range and adjustment did not cause the warning light to go away. Will try the reset procedure.

Thank you, Julie!

Outlookela

I had some success getting mine reset to lower pressures. Here's what I think is happening: the plausible limit check when resetting is done on absolute pressure (a bug for sure), normalized pressure is checked against normalized limits during operation.

I had been driving for several hundred miles in hot weather so absolute pressure in the rear was about 65 psi. I reset the TPMS and the new limits stuck. When the tires cooled down, pressure in the rear was about 58 psi, but no warnings.
I am trying to set my new pressure to 45 psi. I haven’t had any success. Continue to have warnings. Guess I will have to wait for hot days or does
Anyone have a solution?

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I am trying to set my new pressure to 45 psi. I haven’t had any success. Continue to have warnings. Guess I will have to wait for hot days or does

Anyone have a solution?

My van will accept as low as 42 psi on the front tires but not the rear tires. 60 psi seems to be the minimum set point for the rear tires.

JFloFoto

Mine appears to have lower limits as described by gltrimble. However, when set on the limit, any time it gets cold and pressure psi drops even 1 degree, warnings appear. My lower limit is around 45 on all corners.

ddunaway

I have also experimentally determined that 60 is the lowest without error on my 2015. In winter I run about 45 psi on the rears and just deal with the error. I killed 2 winter tires in the rear running factory settings. Summer I run 60.

ddunaway

Mine appears to have lower limits as described by gltrimble. However, when set on the limit, any time it gets cold and pressure psi drops even 1 degree, warnings appear. My lower limit is around 45 on all corners.
What year is yours?

Top Bottom