A roof rack for cost conscientious

Teutonic9

I struggled to force myself to pay for a custom made aluminum roof rack. So I put on a Vantech H2 rack on my 4x4. I did modify it, though. Being manufactured as a construction/contractor type rack, it has enormous overhang on each side. So I shortened the cross bars about 8 inches. This will also allow for a Fiamma F45S to be reasonably flush with the side of the van when mounted to the side of the H2. I also left one crossbar out to make space for the roof vent. I hope this gives others an option instead of shelling out the big bucks.

Attachments

Last edited:

JeremiahJohnson

I struggled to force myself to pay for a custom made aluminum roof rack. So I put on a Vantech H2 rack on my 4x4. I did modify it, though. Being manufactured as a construction/contractor type rack, it has enormous overhang on each side. So I shortened the cross bars about 8 inches. This will also allow for a Fiamma F45S to be reasonably flush with the side of the van when mounted to the side of the H2. I also left one crossbar out to make space for the roof vent. I hope this gives others an option instead of shelling out the big bucks.
Only downside I see is that you can't fit under the drive through at Chik-fil-A!?
Nice modification!

Teutonic9

An update on my inexpensive roof rack. The Fiamma F45S mounted perfectly to it. I just through bolted the Fiamma mounting plates to the side of the rack and viola. The position also conveniently allows for some led side lights to sneak under the awning and mount to the roof rack feet.

Attachments

Jakelake

Question about ladders. I have seen ladders on the back doors and today I saw a ladder on the back door of a sprinter with 2 orange fuel tanks attached to it. The tanks were about 4 feet long and about 3 inches wide. They were locked to the ladder. The question is; can the rear doors really handle all that weight, especially if a person is climbing up to the roof? I'm trying to decide if I should buy a rear ladder of a side ladder. Any experience, opinions, on which would make loading paddle boards, surfboards, and Kayaks on the roof easier?

matloik

How easy was it to trim the width of the H2? I assume that rack comes disassembled and ypu just cut the crossbars.

This looks like a good option. Of course most of us like Aluminess. But shipped could it be $1500 more than this rack? I might prefer the Forerunner Sprinter rack, not having side rails, but it's only 9' long. Attaching an awning... I'd like the rack to be to the back of the van but the awning to cover the side door. Anyone else go through this thought process? Any way to have both a rack and a Fiama attach to the roof rail?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Teutonic9

Question about ladders. I have seen ladders on the back doors and today I saw a ladder on the back door of a sprinter with 2 orange fuel tanks attached to it. The tanks were about 4 feet long and about 3 inches wide. They were locked to the ladder. The question is; can the rear doors really handle all that weight, especially if a person is climbing up to the roof? I'm trying to decide if I should buy a rear ladder of a side ladder. Any experience, opinions, on which would make loading paddle boards, surfboards, and Kayaks on the roof easier?
I like side ladders as they don't interfere with opening the rear doors all the way, only bolt through the rocker panel pinch weld which is very rigid and allow for access to a sky box side opening if needed.

Teutonic9

How easy was it to trim the width of the H2? I assume that rack comes disassembled and ypu just cut the crossbars.

This looks like a good option. Of course most of us like Aluminess. But shipped could it be $1500 more than this rack? I might prefer the Forerunner Sprinter rack, not having side rails, but it's only 9' long. Attaching an awning... I'd like the rack to be to the back of the van but the awning to cover the side door. Anyone else go through this thought process? Any way to have both a rack and a Fiama attach to the roof rail?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Trimming was easy with a table saw and a good blade. The ends of the cross bars are pre threaded from Vantech so you lose one pre threaded side when you cut them down. I just used some self-threading screws instead of tapping a bunch of holes. Worked great.

The length of this rack is great! And, yes, this rack is a bolt-together style. I'm happy with the quality for the money.

Sethn

That's a nice system. That would be an almost identical system I'm looking for just haven't moved on it.
Any wind noise or significant fuel economy issues.
I appreciate any info.
Thanks

Last edited:

Teutonic9

No wind noise till I mounted a light bar on the front of it. Prior to that, almost silent with just the awning. Might remove the light bar. I'm sure mpg has been affected but I haven't compared before/after. I do think the Vantech rack is the best value going especially with the width modification for better/custom fitment.

Top Bottom