Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > Australia, New Zealand, and Asia Pacific

Old 08-02-2019, 05:32 AM   #11
Sockeye770

Default Re: New member, new sprinter owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellapaca View Post
The cupboard near the passengers side sliding door is bolted down with nylon lock nuts which have the fuel tank hiding them. I hope to drop one side of the fuel tank just enough to get my hand in there and get to the hidden nuts. Kindest regards, Hooroo, Kevin.
The cabinet to the right of the silly ambo aluminium step in picture 2 is a blanket warming cabinet (I call it my pie warmer). Built in underneath the cabinet is a heater radiator connected to the coolant system. Don't damage the coolant lines to the heater while trying to get to the hidden nuts. There should be an inline ball valve to shut off the coolant feed to the heater somewhere.
Sockeye770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #12
Banjo48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye770 View Post
I would take the same approach. I would even go to the point of camping out in it overnight in my driveway to checkout the ventilation, lighting and privacy issues throughout the conversion.
That's my idea, soon as I can get the single beds done, and kitchen cabinet organised we'll be off for a few weeks to iron out any problems.

One issue I am having is what fridge to put in, I'm not wanting to spend 1 1/2k on a Dometic or Waeco, but the cheap Chinese one's don't have a great track record, some ok some not.

I could go with a chest type like an Engel or the cheaper ones but then it's fitting it in a suitable accessible spot.

Still got my solar and batteries to buy as yet too, oh and a roof rack to mount it all on !
Banjo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:38 AM   #13
Bellapaca

G'day everyone and thank you for your input.
The gutting has started with the gurny base which had 8 long bolts holding it down. Luckily the bolts were tack welded to the stainless steel base and it was just a matter of dropping the nuts off to release it. The killer was unit near the passenger sliding door. For this the fuel tank had to be unbolted and slightly lowered to gain access to the hidden nuts and base plates. All the seating is out and its time to start on the walls.
Ive found all sorts of goodies under the passenger front seat. There's a DURST smart charger a REDARC pure sine wave inverter and a Mobitronic by Waeco. Ive yet to remove the front seats to have a good look under them.
Eric spoke of a plug in the tool box where the jack is located (floor front of passengers feet). In there I found a weird plug which is a bit like the jump start post under the bonnet. I'll attach a pic of the power post and the connecting plug cap. I'm not sure if this is what Eric was referring to?
Sockeye thanks for the heads up with the silastic, that's stuff could hold Christ to the cross. With a quick spray of WD40 along the silastic and a long thin blade knife things soon parted.
I found the warming unites and I've even found a fridge compressor and motor tucked away in the side cupboards.
Sockeye you were right about who knocked this thing together. It has ETT moulded into the roof wing.
I've yet to mess or trace any wiring. If I've had to cut any wires I've been electrical taping them up so not to short anything out if they're live.

Thanks again to everyone for their help on this, it really has helped. Hooroo, Kevin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd August 2019 (13).jpg (65.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 4th August 2019 (6).jpg (87.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 4th August 2019 (10).jpg (59.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 4th August 2019 (14).jpg (59.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 4th August 2019 (15).jpg (55.0 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Bellapaca; 08-08-2019 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Attaching photos.
Bellapaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:52 AM   #14
Sockeye770

Your lucky the battery charger & inverter are still there.
The charger costs $497.00 (ex GST), http://www.durst.com.au/Store/cart_d...ry-Charger-BCS
The Redarc inverters aren't cheap either.

The fridge should be a good unit to keep as well.
Sockeye770 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sockeye770 For This Useful Post:
Bellapaca (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
Eric Experience

Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,046 Posts

Kevin.
Yes that plug you are holding is the battery disconnect. You can see the wiring next to the disconnect is wrapped with black cloth, that is MB wiring and you can see the wiring near the charger is in plastic, that is the ambo wiring, that makes it easy to know what to pull out. The fridge unit usually have the pipes going through an insulting panel that can be removed in one piece to preserve the gas. Eric.
Eric Experience is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Experience For This Useful Post:
Bellapaca (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #16
Bellapaca

G'day Eric, by disconnecting that plug in the photo (passengers tool panel plug) and leaving it disconnected will it cause any trouble? and will it let the main battery that's under the passengers feet stay charged for longer than a few days? I'm thinking there is nothing in the rear of the vehicle that should be drawing power so what do you think is draining the main battery under the passengers feet? I'll point out I think the grey battery under the bonnet might be stuffed, the front end of the battery is swollen and pushed out, when I try and charge it the battery charge squeals showing faulty battery. Could this be draining the other battery?
As for the fridge unit, I haven't had a good look at it, I'll take a few pics of it this weekend.

Eric, do you know what the Mobitronic box does? I've got half an idea what the other things do but I'm stumped on that one.
I'll lift both front seats out this weekend and have a good look under them.
The photo I'm posting is the swollen end on the battery, its a bit hard to make out the bellied end.

Thank you, Kevin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9th July 2019 (5).jpg (59.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 9th July 2019 (11).jpg (64.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg ETT logo moulded into wing.jpg (21.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #17
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellapaca View Post
...do you know what the Mobitronic box does? I've got half an idea what the other things do but I'm stumped on that one.
Looks to be a 230 V to 12 V adaptor, used to power 12 V equipment from a 230 V supply.

https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/...40v-ac-adaptor

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyenne For This Useful Post:
Bellapaca (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:04 AM   #18
Eric Experience

Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,046 Posts

Kevin.
That is the purpose of the disconnect, to stop discharging the start battery. Do not stress to much about what the black boxes do, just remove them if they are ambo parts. The 2nd battery is dead just toss it. When you are posting on this forum your text is too wide, can you fix that. Eric
Eric Experience is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Experience For This Useful Post:
Bellapaca (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #19
Bellapaca

Thanks Cheyenne (Keith).

Thanks for that Eric you're a great help.

Wide text? "When you are posting on this forum your text is too wide, can you fix that. Eric"

I'm sorry Eric I had no idea I was wide texting? When I log in here and read the threads my text looks the same as everyone else's? I cant even find a way to change the text size, I've found Bold,Italic,Underline and Colors but no text sizing?
If I can make it right I will. Hooroo, Kevin.

I was just attaching a Screenshot to show my view of the site. I clicked into the advanced side that accepts photos and I see there is Sizes in here. Maybe that's the way to fix this wide text problem ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (84).jpg (72.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #20
Aussie 2002 4x4

sometimes wide photos drag the text out wide
Aussie 2002 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie 2002 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Bellapaca (08-09-2019)