Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > Australia, New Zealand, and Asia Pacific

Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #21
jaahn

Default Re: Fuel Syphoning 1998 308D LWB

Hi Rod,
Been away for the day. I guess you got the filter off and on OK. I did post this previously "Simple to change if you remove the mounting bracket to remove the filter. Loosen the center bolt first. Check if a previous O ring was left stuck on or that a new one dropped out of position and the center bolt has a good one "
I believe the center bolt will have an O ring at the top and the small one towards the bottom end in a groove groove. Been a while since I have done one !

If the filter is full why do you wish to get more fuel through. But I would expect the injection pump would have a bleed back to the input line somewhere.
Jaahn
jaahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #22
rodney@rdhmarinesubic.com

Got it started for a few minutes and t shut down again?
rodney@rdhmarinesubic.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #23

Could only find a place for 1 O Ring
Old 08-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #24

Just checked the Fuelfilter is empty again.So obviously the pump is not bringing the fuel up from the tank...If i fill the filter she will run till it runs out of fuel.So do you think it must be the fuel pump???
Thanks rod
Old 08-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #25
Oldfartt

Air leak in hose from fuel tank to filter?
Old 08-10-2019, 12:40 AM   #26

Just checked the Fuelfilter is empty again.So obviously the pump is not bringing the fuel up from the tank...If i fill the filter she will run till it runs out of fuel.So do you think it must be the fuel pump???
Thanks rod
Old 08-10-2019, 01:12 AM   #27
Oldfartt

I believe that there is no pump in the fuel tank on your model, and pump is on the motor. If the engine runs OK with fuel in the filter then it means that the pump is OK. Check that you can suck fuel from the tank. Maybe try blowing air down the fuel line to the tank to clear any blockages. Also if there is a break/leak in the fuel line from the tank then suction will be lost and the pump will not be able to suck. I stand corrected if there is a pump in the tank.

Cheers

Ross
Old 08-10-2019, 01:43 AM   #28

I think you are correct .I didnt think there was a lift pump in the tank
Old 08-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #29
jaahn

Hi Rod
You seem to be going in circles. We do not have the van in front of us, and I do not have that model and engine so it is difficult. Most other people here have a later model which has a different filter and completely different fuel system.

I have been a diesel mechanic in a past life. It sounds like you have a tiny air leak in the fuel lines or fittings. Probably at the filter head as it is the highest point. That will stop the fuel lift pump 'sucking' the fuel up from the tank. It could be the fuel line fittings if the service person took them off before. They will all have a sealing washer or O-ring and if a banjo fitting will have one on each side of the fitting.

It seems that you have a old style injection pump with seperate fuel lines going to the injectors. The injection pump has a small fuel lift pump on the side of it. Does this sound like your system. These pumps are normally reliable but anything can fail. Perhaps you could take some pictures of it and also the top of the filter and the fuel lines that are there. The injection pump should have a return line that goes back to the filter top, most likely, so the fuel will circulate through the injector pump body.

Can any body get a parts diagram fo this model. That will show all the lines and seals etc in the layout as fitted. The same as the filter and center bolt. Note that is a hollow bolt for the fuel entry and it must have a seal at the top and a seal at the bottom, in my experience. The filter has its own two seals in the top face. The banjo fittings for the fuel lines have similar 'bolts' with two sealing washers.
Jaahn
jaahn is offline   Reply With Quote