Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be (although certain threads that are politically or religiously charged will be moved to the DZ).
SubForums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 07-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #141
Garandman

Default Re: 7 killed in motorcycle collision in New Hampshire

From a local forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig, post: 6372347, member: 17614
We went to Gorham on Tuesday for lunch. While I had already wanted to stop at the memorial site, I didn't bring it up, because my lovely bride is pretty sensitive about things like this.

To my surprise, she asked if we could stop, so of course I did.

We all got out, and we all "suffered from allergies." The colors left on the site from as far away as Tucson and Nevada were touching, but the single stake with dew rags tied on it was probably the clincher.

That, and the still-visible skid marks, gouges in the pavement, blue paint marking positions from the accident investigation... but worst of all was the debris left behind. Burned and charred bits of metal and plastic scattered all over the roadside.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #142
Garandman

Small update: "NHDOT had removed all the flags and vests and patches and other personal property, leaving just the 7 crosses. They have asked that people stop leaving items at the crash site. They will be removed."

GoFundMe page is still short over $100,000.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jarheads-...milies-support
CJPJ (08-01-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:02 AM   #143
Garandman

“Truck driver was on drugs, reaching for drink at time of accident.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2019/08/...jgK/story.html

Quote:
Zhukovskyy also said that he reached for a drink on the passenger side of the truck just before the crash, according to the report, though the report did not specify what kind of beverage. That violation was labeled as "inattentive driving."

The findings were part of an inspection that also found that Zhukovskyy's vehicle had defective lighting and was missing some wheel fasteners.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-02-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:48 AM   #144
Skippy and Emu

Tastefully done tribute, just released on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/bO-2VcA7qbQ

Casey's, wit and humour is brilliant, but she still manages to master the art of truly heartful observations.
I can even live with the fact, that she did not choose a Sprinter to build with.
2003 313cdi MWB, High Roof, Manual, ECB Bullbar, Windows all around, Rear Aircon, Swivel Passenger seat, 580 watts solar, 150 amp alternator, Fiamma f45s, Carr Mega Step, Chinese 2kw diesel heater, 226000 kms.
Skippy and Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skippy and Emu For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (08-05-2019), CJPJ (08-05-2019), Garandman (08-05-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #145
The Grand Tour
Banned

Motorcycling on public roads is life-or-death stuff.

Tragedies like this illustrate why we as motorcyclists should arm ourselves with the most competent motorcycles, the best rider training, and the highest quality safety gear, to improve our chances for survival when confronted by offenders like the one in this case.
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #146
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,215 Times in 5,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
Motorcycling on public roads is life-or-death stuff.

Tragedies like this illustrate why we as motorcyclists should arm ourselves with the most competent motorcycles, the best rider training, and the highest quality safety gear, to improve our chances for survival when confronted by offenders like the one in this case.
Yes I was reminded of this above statement yesterday!
Here I was scudding along eastbound on I/70 (Denver metro ) in the company Prius on a parts run. A rear view mirror check observation showed a lone sports bike coming at speed, move to right to let him pass, speed guesstimate about 85 mph.

As he passed bike sounds "baso profundo on song" had to be a Ducati (Signores). Rider properly attired and I watched him quickly move ahead taking command of the road space and traffic density. A nice riding skill shown, good positioning definitely not a novice. I watched him for a few minutes thinking nice rider skill, then some idiot being persnickety, blocks his path in Honda Accord. I thought what was that all about??
Of course being a skilled rider he found the escape made the move, then disappeared into the heat haze of the horizon on I/76.

As you state you never know when someone is going to do something dumb, on purpose or by inattention you cannot relax or drop your guard for one minute.
Dennis
lindenengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
The Grand Tour (08-10-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #147
Traveljog

My God that's horrible. I always assume everyone else on the road is an idiot, but there's no real planning for something like that.
Traveljog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #148
glasseye

Thanked 1,659 Times in 886 Posts

It'd be a good idea for everyone to complete their first six months as a new drivers licencee on a motorcycle. That way, they'd learn the precise meaning of the term "defensive driving".

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:55 PM   #149
Garandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveljog View Post
My God that's horrible. I always assume everyone else on the road is an idiot, but there's no real planning for something like that.
It reminds me of an accident many years ago where a truck traveling Northbound on a highway lost a wheel. The wheel hit a bump and was propelled over the guard rail. It struck a car (at the base of the windshield) driven by a friend’s dad: who was paralyzed from the neck down.

Not at all down with the beanie helmet brigade personally, but this was a nightmare scenario. Most of us who are military veterans have seen what can happen when “Your number is up,” so for this to happen to veterans who survived those hazards makes it even more sad.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #150
The Grand Tour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveljog View Post
Wrong.

We should spend EVERY single day planning, preparing, training, and equipping for a threat like that. Motorcycling on public roads is statistically more dangerous than armed combat in Afghanistan.

We should select the most competent motorcycle. You wouldn't go into combat armed with a Nerf gun, but Harley-Davidson motorcycles are the Nerf guns of motorcycles.

We should wear full and proper safety gear, to include a properly-fitted full-face Snell/DOT/ECE rated helmet, a spine protector, and armored leather covering every square inch of skin below the neck. You wouldn't go into combat wearing a "Village People" costume of fringed assless chaps and a pleather vest, but the majority of Harley operators do.

We should obtain competent professional rider training. You wouldn't go into combat without ever having been taught how to shoot, but the vast majority of Harley operators have had absolutely ZERO rider training. The sad part about that, is that when it comes to riding a motorcycle, almost everything works the exact opposite way that lay people assume that it does, so the chances of them just "figuring it out" in the absence of proper rider training, is just about zero.

Last edited by The Grand Tour; 08-13-2019 at 01:34 AM.
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote