Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be (although certain threads that are politically or religiously charged will be moved to the DZ).
SubForums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 02-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #111
F2ca170

Default Re: Incredible deal from AT&T - Unlimited data for $20/month

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2ca170 View Post
No problem. I want to understand this thing for when I travel.

I'm doing the test you suggested right now.

I disconnected all devices and shook it at 12:05pm...... going to go back and shake it about 1:05 or so and see if it goes past 2:05pm (which would have been 2 hours since the first shake after all devices were disconnected).
I went back to the Mobley at 1:01pm and shook it (basically tilted it from side to side). It's now 2:20pm and it's still running with no devices attached (no data being used). So it's been running since before 12:05pm (when the last device disconnected and I shook it). I shook it again at 1:01pm. So I believe it will run two hours past the last time moved (1:01pm) and make it until about 3:01pm (if I don't move it again).

This is 100 percent consistent with my tests yesterday while devices were attached. I was moving it to reset the timer and proved to work exactly the same.

This unit definitely has something in it to detect movement, and slight movement at that. All my test results show that moving it retests the timeout timer, whether devices were attached to it or not.

I'm going to let it time out now.... and mess with it more tonight. I need to get outside and finish putting a couple holes in the roof of the van for cable entry glands before all this rain comes their talking about.
F2ca170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #112
sprint2freedom
2008 NCV3 170ext

Do you have a way to vary the voltage? If so you could repeat this experiment but rather than physically shaking the unit try changing the supply voltage slightly.

The owner's manual for the Mobley has a statement along the lines of "when the unit goes to sleep the only part that is powered is the part that senses voltage changes". So perhaps resetting the power-off countdown timer requires, for example, (motion detected) OR (voltage change detected).

If that's the case then you could, for example, insert a diode inline with the power supply to drop the voltage by about 0.7V, then use a 555 timer to occasionally (e.g. every 30 minutes) pulse a relay that short circuits that diode causing a brief 0.7V increase in voltage.
sprint2freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #113
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 3,097 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint2freedom View Post
Do you have a way to vary the voltage? If so you could repeat this experiment but rather than physically shaking the unit try changing the supply voltage slightly.

The owner's manual for the Mobley has a statement along the lines of "when the unit goes to sleep the only part that is powered is the part that senses voltage changes". So perhaps resetting the power-off countdown timer requires, for example, (motion detected) OR (voltage change detected).

If that's the case then you could, for example, insert a diode inline with the power supply to drop the voltage by about 0.7V, then use a 555 timer to occasionally (e.g. every 30 minutes) pulse a relay that short circuits that diode causing a brief 0.7V increase in voltage.
I think it's even simpler than that. The 2-hour timer is only intended to run when the vehicle is turned off and should not disactivate the unit when the vehicle is running, as in when you are driving down the road and your kids are watching cartoons and your wife is listening to a podcast, is dad supposed to reach down to the OBD port and unplug/replug the Mobley every two hours and then everyone reload their applications? That doesn't make sense and that is not intended operation, and in all of the endless Mobley threads on RV forums I've never seen anyone mention such a thing (and believe me, they even complain about the color of the LEDs ;)

What could be happening is that if your 12-volt power supply is exactly 12 volts then that would indicate to the Mobley that there is no alternator online, meaning that the engine is off, meaning that it should time out after some period of time to protect the battery (although at only a few hundred milliamp draw I don't know why they would really be concerned about that, but anyway...) I'll bet that if you supply it with 13.5 to 14 volts (making it think that there is a charging system online) it will not time out as long as there is activity on the WiFi channel.

With regard to the alleged accelerometer, I kinda doubt that (unnecessary expense and manufacturers do every last thing they can to reduce costs of these products) but I don't have a schematic so... maybe. But until someone produces some engineering data from ZTE or a schematic indicating such a device then FWIW no one has proven that such a device exists, only that they've seen behavior that suggests it... two very different things.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smiller For This Useful Post:
sprint2freedom (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #114
glasseye

Thanked 1,662 Times in 889 Posts

Yet another tear-inducing thread for us Canadians who pay among the highest data rates in the world and can never utilize this delightful device.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.

Last edited by glasseye; 02-18-2019 at 12:22 AM.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #115
dynaco1

The 2015 Sprinter OBD port is inaccessible (behind a plastic cover beneath the dashboard) so we use a USB to OBD converter. However, ZTE Mobley fits great on our Prius and two Lexus factory OBD ports.

Ours is two years old and still going strong. We take it on all our trips; different cars. Fours users at the same time; two stream movies at same time. No problem. Amazing.
dynaco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:43 PM   #116
Jmolan

We used the OBD port for a while, but it only powers the unit. I got a USB adapter and run it off the 12V port. We liked it so much on our 48 state trip, I got a 110v adapter and it is out only source of internet in the house. We take it where ever we go. We went to 1 GB on our cel phones, and pre-pay for $30 each. The raised the price to $22.50 a month, we've had it for a couple years, happy campers. So two phones and unlimited internet is $84 a month.
Link: http://a.co/iirVaYU

http://www.jackmolan.com

2016 144 4x4 Crew Cab
Jmolan is online now   Reply With Quote