Oil and Fuel FIlter (and oil) - where do you buy for cheap in Canada?

ironman69

I have a 2008 3500 and have done 3 oil/fuel filter changes. I work for Fountain Tire and get a decent wholesale price from the dealer for the filters but the two filter still cost $170 for both. I have heard there may be aftermarket ones but am really concerned about warranty issues and would rather use the "official" part. Should I buy them across the line? Are they that much cheaper? Where should I buy them?
Also where do you get your 0W40 Mobile 1 Synthetic for cheap? I am paying a wholesale cost of 10$ per liter.

Thanx again for the info

Sean

PS I live just outside Vancouver BC, close to the Bellingham WA border.

djc126

RE: Oil and Fuel FIlter (and oil) for NCV3 - where do you buy for cheap in Canada?

Hi Sean.
The Mobil1 you're using is not the right oil for the NCV3.

You can buy the Valvoline Synpower 5W40 MST at NAPA for $9.49/liter.
Otherwise, the MB dealer will have the Mobil1 5W40 ESP for about $13/liter.
I saw a Shell Rotella 5W40 synthetic 4L jug at Cdn Tire (might have to search for it) for $30 (has the MB approval no. on it). There doesn't seem to be a 0W40 oil with low enough ash content to get the MB approval.

Look at the Berry Sprinter (TX) website for an idea of pricing from a wholesale dealer:
www.sprinterparts.net - they are showing $72each for fuel filter

I've been dealing with a couple wholesale Sprinter dealers in the USA NE and they're willing to send via the post office instead of UPS.

You can also take a look at the Balwin Filters catalog:
http://www.baldwinfilter.com/

An industrial type shop can order them in. I bought a bunch for my 02 cheap.

Regards,

ironman69

The mobile 1 that I am using is one of the oils listed in the owners manual as acceptable. As well the dealership recommends it. I have even bought the oil from the dealership direct. Thanx for the info. Those prices you mention seem to be around the same price as the oil I am using. I guess there is no "super cheap" oil ;)

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
If you're using Mobile 1 0w-40 - MB 229.3 and MB 229.5 specification - you're using an oil meant for the gasoline engine according to the Daimler engineering team that published those guidelines.

The concensus is: you're putting your diesel EGR valve, EGR cooler,, EGR cooler temp sensor and DPF at risk for premature fouling, a shorter than expected life span.

Without a study, w/o quantitative measurements - and a research fund - the concensus can't be independently confirmed.

Most of us just stick to MB 229.51 oils.

What will you do?

-Jon

Last edited:

ironman69

If you're using Mobile 1 0w-40 - MB 229.3 and MB 229.5 specification - you're using an oil meant for the gasoline engine according to the Daimler engineering team that published those guidelines.

The concensus is: you're putting your diesel EGR valve, EGR cooler,, EGR cooler temp sensor and DPF at risk for premature fouling, a shorter than expected life span.

Without a study, w/o quantitative measurements - and a research fund - the concensus can't be independently confirmed.

Most of us just stick to MB 229.51 oils.

What will you do?

-Jon
Well I have reviewed the info you gave me and I will be speaking to the dealer tomorrow. To me what you have said makes complete sense. And I reread the specs in the owners manual and it says the same thing you are saying.
On a side not, I have already had my EGR valve and EGR cooler replaced (under warranty) and have asked the dealership sprinter mechanic if there is anything I can do to reduce this problem and has said Chrysler has given no suggestions. Well how about "recommending the correct FRICKEN oil" to your customers.
I am certain that the 0W40 Mobil 1 is the oil the dealership uses when they change a sprinters oil.
So to me this is a serious issue that I am glad I figured out before my warranty has expired.

THANK YOU

ironman69

Re: Oil and Fuel FIlter (and oil) for NCV3 - where do you buy for cheap in Canada?

Hi Sean.
The Mobil1 you're using is not the right oil for the NCV3.

You can buy the Valvoline Synpower 5W40 MST at NAPA for $9.49/liter.
Otherwise, the MB dealer will have the Mobil1 5W40 ESP for about $13/liter.
I saw a Shell Rotella 5W40 synthetic 4L jug at Cdn Tire (might have to search for it) for $30 (has the MB approval no. on it). There doesn't seem to be a 0W40 oil with low enough ash content to get the MB approval.

Look at the Berry Sprinter (TX) website for an idea of pricing from a wholesale dealer:
www.sprinterparts.net - they are showing $72each for fuel filter

I've been dealing with a couple wholesale Sprinter dealers in the USA NE and they're willing to send via the post office instead of UPS.

You can also take a look at the Balwin Filters catalog:
http://www.baldwinfilter.com/

An industrial type shop can order them in. I bought a bunch for my 02 cheap.

Regards,

Sprinterparts.net seems to be down. Or is that the correct address?

ironman69

OK So I just changed my oil last week with the Mobil 1 0W40. Should I dump it and put in the appropriate oil? Or is it OK to wait for 16000km? If I shouldn't wait, should I change the oil filter again as well?
I am wishing I found this info out 2 weeks ago :)

rvdriverca

IRONMAN. here is where I get all my filters and parts. http://store.europarts-sd.com/ I have it shipped to "ship happens" in Sumas, WA. I get Shell rotella oil 5w-40 at auto zone or Schucks(? spelling )auto parts for $19.99 us a gallon. for my 2006 all the filters about $60 and 3 gallons of oil $60 so my total cost = $120 us + $4.00 for ship happen and I have 2 qt of oil spare to add at a latter date. PM you Phone # if you like. I'm near Chilliwack.:2cents:

ironman69

IRONMAN. here is where I get all my filters and parts. http://store.europarts-sd.com/ I have it shipped to "ship happens" in Sumas, WA. I get Shell rotella oil 5w-40 at auto zone or Schucks(? spelling )auto parts for $19.99 us a gallon. for my 2006 all the filters about $60 and 3 gallons of oil $60 so my total cost = $120 us + $4.00 for ship happen and I have 2 qt of oil spare to add at a latter date. PM you Phone # if you like. I'm near Chilliwack.:2cents:
Thanx for the info. We use Ship Happens ALL the time. So does Auto-zone/Schucks ship to ship happens? Are the filters on Europarts OEM or aftermarket? It is hard to tell from their website.

Thanx again

ironman69

Not to be picky but the Shell Rotella 5w-40 isn't on the "approved" oil list in my owners manual. Is it on your list for a 2006?
Thanx guys!!

ironman69

ironman69 I use Mobile 0W40 from 2004 Now have 40K miles, no problem !!
Take a look
http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

"Mobil 1 0W-40 is recommended for all types of modern light-duty vehicles, especially high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks."
Well I have to admit I just breathed a sigh of relief. This whole thing has got me really stressed out since I am not a fan of throwing money away and having warranty issues. And not being told the correct thing by the "all knowledgeable" dealership. Have you ever had your EGR valve or EGR cooler replaced? Did the dealer recommend this oil to you?
Thanx

PS just a note I have a 2008 and have 43000km on it. Heavy user :)

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The diesel particulate filter catches combustion by product particles like soot before the pollution leaves the exhaust pipe. The fuel filter catches particles before they hit the high-pressure fuel pump and the common supply (rail) to the fuel injectors; very different functions, very different costs, very different functions.

-Jon

rvdriverca

Ironman Shell rotella 5w-40 synthetic motor oil is a new product it has MB Approval: 228.31 and is low ash see in your book if 228.31 meet your vehicle specs if not you can use Mobil 5w 40 synthetic. It is also not in my book but it meets my specs hope this helps.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
A 2004 Sprinter is a T1N.
A 2008 Sprinter is an NCV3.

They don't use the same engine.
They don't use the same emissions control system.
They don't use the same oil.

The safest course of action is to remove the 0W-40 oil and put in one that complies with MB 229.51.

-Jon

Top Bottom