Oil change

Bellapaca

This ex ambo didn't come with owners manuals so I search the internet for all of my info and or come in here for advise.

I did an oil change on our 2010 NCV3 319 Sprinter. I had no idea when it was last changed so I figured it wouldn't hurt since these things are known for running hot.

I changed the oil to Caltex Magnatec DX 5w-40, I popped in a new Ryco R2623P filter.

Over a 2 hour drive on the Hume HWY sitting on 100k up to 110ks at times the oil can light came on the dash. I pulled over did a dip stick check and it all seemed okay. Started out again and the oil can light was out. Nursing it at 90k after that and scared it wouldn't get me home I travelled okay. As I neared the end of my trip and feeling braver since I was close to home I put her back up to 110ks and it didn't take long for the oil can light to appear again. This time I spotted a Hi on the dash. I'm thinking its a high oil temp warning? I slowed down and nursed it again and the oil can light and Hi went off.
Once home did a check again. Oil level is okay so I'm thinking Ive stuffed up and put to thin an oil in? Any ideas?

Thank you, Kevin.

Attachments

Eric Experience

Kevin.
Don't panic you have just put a little to much oil in. More importantly is the oil an approved one, does it have the MB approval 228.51 or 235.28 Eric.

Bellapaca

You'll do me for a mate Eric, thanks.
When I tell you I've got no idea what the MB approval 222.51 or 235.28 is you'll realise I know jack about this thing.
I guess its google time trying to sort it out.
I was on the high side of the oil level when the oil was cold so I'm thinking when it got hot it just increased.

Eric, can you save me a hour or two searching google for the MB approval and recommend an oil that you'd use? For piece of mind I don't mind dumping this oil out and starting again. It wont go to waste, I'm sure the old tractor wont whinge about a bit of hand me down oil going in her lol. Thanks mate.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Kevin.

More importantly is the oil an approved one, does it have the MB approval 228.51 or 235.28 Eric.
Eric,

Please correct me if I'm wrong but according to BEVO 223.2 "Prescribed Specifications for Service Fill Engine Oils in Passenger Car/ VAN engines" the OM642 engine in a Sprinter could use any oil from BEVO 228.51 or 229.31 or 229.51 or 229.52

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_223_2.pdf

Also 235.28 is NOT an engine oil but a 'Retarder Oil' so I don't know where you got that number from?

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.28_en.html

Kevin,

Check the labelling on your Castrol Magnatec for one of the BEVO's listed above or if it is not listed then pick an oil that is listed on one or other of the BEVO's.

Keith.

Eric Experience

Kevin.
You now have plenty of information. The important part of the choice is to check if the oil is suitable for for engines with DPF or what the trade calls after exhaust treatment. Sorry Keith I was reading a label on a container, not very accurate. Eric.

Bellapaca

Thank you all for your input on this. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and kindness with me.
I'm sorry I didn't send a photo of the rear of the oil container which has the info on it.

Ive checked and I am a tad high on the dipstick. I'll pull the drain plug out and lower it a little.

Attachments

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
oooh its got "intelligent molecules", it must be good!

Its a full synthetic so it will probably be fine for 10,000km. I wouldn't run it longer than that given that it isn't on any of the sheets, whereas there are plenty of other Castrol oils on them.

Then next time buy something on the 229.51 or 228.51 sheets.
"PENRITE ENVIRO+ 5W-40" is on the 229.51 sheet, its available locally and is usually quite cheap when supercheap or repco has a sale on.

I think you can also use 228.31 oils in your van if you don't do long drain interval.

D

Deleted member 50714

oooh its got "intelligent molecules", it must be good!

Its a full synthetic so it will probably be fine for 10,000km. I wouldn't run it longer than that given that it isn't on any of the sheets, whereas there are plenty of other Castrol oils on them.

Then next time buy something on the 229.51 or 228.51 sheets.
"PENRITE ENVIRO+ 5W-40" is on the 229.51 sheet, its available locally and is usually quite cheap when supercheap or repco has a sale on.

I think you can also use 228.31 oils in your van if you don't do long drain interval.
How do they program molecules to be intelligent and what is their IQ???

Bellapaca

Thanks everyone for your input.
I drained a bit of oil out and punched it down the HWY at 110ks to Goulburn without a problem. I'll be honest, seeing an oil light come up on the dash at 110ks sure did put the wind up me lol. thanks Eric.

I'm posting this pic that I found on a thread I was given in the hope it helps someone else, thanks Patrick.

Attachments

cws

Yep, thats what I used in my 2013 316. Bought on sale at Supercheap, had to get a 10 litre and 5 litre to get the 11-litres capacity.

Attachments

Last oil change I used Penrite Flushing Oil ran the motor 10 minutes as per instructions then dropped the oil, I was amazed at how thick and black it was, presumably with sludge. Refilled with Penrite 10W40 and did a trip Sydney to Adelaide return and the oil is still quite clean. Might be my imagination but engine seems to be running/idling much smoother now. BTW Repco has Penrite 10W40 on special at the moment, $49 for 7 litres. Have a good Christmas. Rob.

Top Bottom