Air con not working help!

cogga

Hi all, i need help with my 2002 sprinter its an ex ambulance, i have taken my van to 3 different mechanics/auto elecs and none of them can solve the my problem. My air con wont work their is no power getting to the compressor. My van also has the rear crisp air aircon unit which was dissconnected before i bought it (ive never used it and its never worked) but my air con in the front has worked but stopped working earlier in the year. Can anyone please give me some advise or recommend me to someone who understands these vans. Regards Cogga.

mcguyver

Hahah Thats hilarious, but while we are on the subject mine has stopped working intermittently.
Some days it works some days ( usually the hottest and when I need it most) it doesn't. Any ideas?

You may need to wait for the next warm day when it's not working and have someone put some gauges on it. High and low pressure readings may give you a better idea. Until then just make sure the condenser fan is working and the compressor is cycling on and off as it should. Anything else without proper readings is just guess work.

PeterInSa

Hi mcg, we had ours repaired under warranty, initially the MB dealer said they could not find a problem, I checked it prior to driving out of their yard and it did not work, so drove back into their service area at 4.55pm, anyway they looked at it again confirmed it not working and found the problem, a cable near the radiator ( I think) was rubbing on the body and earthing out. Maybe your problem.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Is it the compressor, or the control valve on the side of the compressor? if its the valve, its not very expensive and can be replaced in-situ. An evac/recharge is required.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Intermittent function points to a failed control solenoid valve. The hard parts of the compressor either work, or they don't.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
These crispair and stock t1n ones arent like the stock MB compressor NAFTA got. It doesnt have the valve. Its just old skool.

jaahn

Hi:rolleyes:
A few comments !
I would say that you should make certain the technician does know what they are doing. Ask around. Seeing as it's a Merc and perhaps an unknown system it is easy to misdiagnose !:thumbdown:

When I had my 2000 model fail a few years ago the tech said they had to replace the whole compressor because they could not get parts for the failed clutch unit. I found a replacement clutch and it cost 20% of the original quote.(Posted on here) :lol:

Years ago I had a T3 VW Syncro going to Qld. The A/C was poor and down here no one wanted to work on it, strange after market system, engine in the back etc. When I got to Brisbane I asked around, got a good recommendation and the guy fixed it on the spot, regassed it etc. Good cost too ! Still working well when I sold it years later. :thumbup:
Jaahn

Top Bottom