Where can I buy SunPower X-Series 345 Watts panel??

Luc

Hello all!!

Because my 2006 long wheelbase comes with the original sunroofs (2 of them), I have limited space to put on a solar panel (I have 68" available between the sunroofs). Although I didn't expect to ever have sunroofs on the van, I will keep them as they are original and not a botched job.

I also want to install 2 MaxxAir fans. One at the very back, and one just behind the bulkhead.

This means that I want to squeeze in as many Watts as possible on the remaining 68" of roof.

Sunpower has this apparently great pannel that puts out 345Watts, and it fits easily in my space.

Only problem is that I can't get a hold of them (calling all day and never got to talk to a human). And from what I read here, they seem to sell to large installers by the pallet.

I'm in Quebec Canada, and I asked my solar supplies guy to look into it, but I doubt he will have better luck than I did...

Can anybody hook me up?

co-kid

2021 Sprinter 3500XD, I4 on order
Soapbox Commentary... it always amazes me when companies/dealers/suppliers/contractors don't respond to inquiries. Business must be very good when they can ignore customers wanting to buy their products. (End Soapbox)

That said, I admit that I don't have a source (not very helpful, eh?). I assume you've visited the dealer locator page on Sunpower's website. There are several dealers over the border from you in NY state.

Regards,
Alan

HarryN

The key to dealing with SunPower is understanding their business model. They are not in the business of selling individual components, they are in the business of providing:

"Equinox, The only all-in-one, complete home solar system", plagiarized right off of their web site.

The don't want to or intend to sell individual components, they do a complete, engineered and installed solution and guarantee the results of the complete package.

If you look at the "technology" section of their site, the panels they are selling today include a micro inverter built into the frame, which most likely is communicating to a central data hub with safety systems, etc.

In the past, some dealers would have a few left over panels from a job, strip off the label and sell them to individuals, but that day is no more. Sorry to tell you, but you need to find an alternative panel for your van.

Last edited:

HarryN

Now that I explained why it is so hard to buy the Sun Power panels, I would like to offer some positive suggestions and ideas.

Some pretty decent panels are available from:
- Suniva - really quite good panels if you can make them fit on your van. They have 60 and 72 cell standard panels and they are widely available. Fairly decent off incident angle operation, which is particularly valuable in the North.
- Panasonic HIT - these are difficult to obtain, but are sold to anyone with money. Their big claims to fame are that they are supposed to be less sensitive to incident angle and high temperature output degradation than other panels.
Renogy - While I think their panels are over priced for what you get and the shipping to you would be a expensive, they do have a 100 watt version that is supposed to be produced using Sun power cells.
Everbright Solar, http://www.everbrightsolar.net/ I picked up a pair of there 165 watt panels over Christmas break. It has been raining nearly non stop ever since, so I have not really tested them yet, but the specs are decent and I could pick them up locally. (so no shipping charges)

It may or may not make sense to purchase from them, but two on-line dealers that carry a lot of panel brands, sizes, outputs, and have pretty easy to search sites are:
- Altestore.com
- Wholesalesolar.com

Last edited:

HarryN

Of course it is your van and you should customize it the way you like, but it might make sense to consider to use an exhaust fan that blows the air out via a duct going through the floor rather than make more holes in the roof.

A hole in the roof is just an invitation for something to leak and occupies precious space that could be used for solar panels. Just MHO, but do what you like.

Luc

Soapbox Commentary... it always amazes me when companies/dealers/suppliers/contractors don't respond to inquiries. Business must be very good when they can ignore customers wanting to buy their products. (End Soapbox)

That said, I admit that I don't have a source (not very helpful, eh?). I assume you've visited the dealer locator page on Sunpower's website. There are several dealers over the border from you in NY state.

Regards,
Alan
Thanks! I did call the closest one in Mass. but from what I hear on the telephone system, it sounds like it's all being directed to the same place...

Luc

Of course it is your van and you should customize it the way you like, but it might make sense to consider to use an exhaust fan that blows the air out via a duct going through the floor rather than make more holes in the roof.

A hole in the roof is just an invitation for something to leak and occupies precious space that could be used for solar panels. Just MHO, but do what you like.
Thanks for all your good advise Harry! I wil definetly look into those leads you gave me.
I had no idea about the inverter being made into the SunPower panel! I guess it would need a particular type of charge controller aside from a stad MPPT...

I'm going to have to see the best fit for Watt/available space. I only have 30" of space in front of the forward sunroof. and 39" behind the rear sunroof.

I like you comment regarding vents and roof penetrations. I was weary of making holes also, but when I realized how many are already in there with the sunroofs and all...

For ventilation, I initially wanted to go with just one fan on the roof near the front section (where my sofa/bed will be), and have a few mushroom vents on the floor hidden in some cabinets. This would create a cross-flow of cool under-vehicle air. BUT My kitchen will be at the very rear of the van, that's when it occurred to me that rather than add 4-6 vents in the floor, I might as well add another roof fan in the rear, and manage my crossflow that way. Using push-pull depending if I'm cooking or sleeping (there will be no AC in the van).

So now you have me doubting again... :)

HarryN

When I was growing up in N OH, we didn't have air conditioning for most of the time. Instead, one upstairs bedroom had an exhaust fan that pulled "cooler" air in through the windows of the other bedrooms.

Since all of the hot air from the rest of the house was pulled through that room, it was by far the hottest place in the house.

It might make sense to continue your idea of fresh air coming into the area where you plan to sleep and exhaust out the back near your cooking location. Exhaust is commonly, but not exclusively vented "up". As an example, our home stove exhausts "down" and sideways, and our bathroom fans exhaust sideways to under the roof eaves.

The bathrooms did not have any exhaust when we bought the home, so my wife and I spent quite a bit of time thinking about exhaust fans and how to do it. A few years ago, a storm damaged the roof and we had water come inside. After that, we were very hesitant to penetrate the new roof with anything, so the fan exhaust goes out horizontal.

You won't need an inlet side "fan" if you use a "blower" instead of a "fan" on the exhaust side. Fans create velocity, but nearly zero pressure, so they are not used for blowing air through a duct. Furnace "fans" are actually "centrifugal blowers" which create both velocity and some pressure. This allows them to work well on long ducted systems, like a home forced air heating system.

Most bathroom exhaust "fans" are actually centrifugal blowers, so you easily duct the exhaust 5 - 10 ft through 3 inch tube of your choice.

Exhaust fans sold for RVs are just fans, so no ducting is possible and why they depend on putting a large hole through the roof.

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
A hole in the floor with a roof vent works very well. Cooler air from under the van naturally creates air flow up and out the roof opening without the fan being powered. I seldom run the fan and almost always have the floor hole open.

Had read a lot about passive solar in house design. So when we built our barn had a cupola with openable windows included at the peak of the roof. That worked so well did the same when house was built. House has electrically powered windows up high. Open lower windows and that creates a draft up and out the high windows.

So when I built the Sprinter conversion I included that in the design. It works in a van just like it does in a house.

Top Bottom